Author Topic: Is there a release date yet?  (Read 37328 times)

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
Is there a release date yet?
« on: September 11, 2016, 07:49:01 pm »
I know there has been several topics like this, but no one has made one for a while and with the plans for AI War 2 and the untitled survival game I was wondering if there is a release date planned for this yet other than "in 2016".

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
Re: Is there a release date yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 08:55:00 pm »
I know there has been several topics like this, but no one has made one for a while and with the plans for AI War 2 and the untitled survival game I was wondering if there is a release date planned for this yet other than "in 2016".
No. SBR has not been cancelled but it's definitely not happening in 2016, and if the Kickstarter does well then most of 2017 will be AI War 2.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:43:32 am »
No. SBR has not been cancelled but it's definitely not happening in 2016, and if the Kickstarter does well then most of 2017 will be AI War 2.
yeap and then after words the untitled survival game will probably be after.
although if Keith decides what ever forms stars is in at the moment is ready for testing then it'll probably happen alongside what ever Chris is doing at the time since its pretty much his now.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 12:00:27 pm »
Yep.  We have a ton of money, time, emotion, and energy invested into this game, so we're not going to let it die without a fight.  Keith was working on this to the exclusion of all else from February through June of 2016, and went through a lot of changes in the models he was coming up, somewhat mirroring what I'd done in 2015, though leading to something I think closer to success.

At this point we can't sustain work on this financially, and I don't want to run a kickstarter on something that doesn't have a coherent design.  I also don't want to push something like this into Early Access if I'm not certain we can make it happen in a satisfactory way.

That pretty much forces this onto the back-burner until we have more financial latitude to make another run at it.  Most likely that would be Keith making another run at it without me at this point, and I'll likely be working on other things while he does that.

If the AI War 2 kickstarter doesn't succeed (and we aren't able to find acceptable alternative funding of some fashion) then I'm not sure what the situation will be for this; Keith may have to depart the company, as might Blue, and I don't have ideas or inspiration for this at the moment.  I'd probably go in a different direction from either AI War or SBR for a year or two, try to climb back up with some smaller semi-strategy titles, and then see what options are available from there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 02:23:46 pm »
If the AI War 2 kickstarter doesn't succeed (and we aren't able to find acceptable alternative funding of some fashion) then I'm not sure what the situation will be for this; Keith may have to depart the company, as might Blue, and I don't have ideas or inspiration for this at the moment.  I'd probably go in a different direction from either AI War or SBR for a year or two, try to climb back up with some smaller semi-strategy titles, and then see what options are available from there.
Knock on wood.  :'(

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:04:10 pm »
hu I thought Keith was still doing his thing with stars? so I guess in that case hell be helping you work on ai war 2 then.
even though I'm not interested in the game it self (that might change if I ever get the time I need to play its predecessor) I do hope your kick starter succeeds as well as the game it self of course.
if nothing else than to see the survival game become a thing which I am VERY interested in.
c.r

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:11:47 pm »
Okay. I am not sure what I think of two games from the same company being completed after another one from the company starts development and before it ends, also not sure what I think about the kickstarter money for AI War 2 being used to fund a completely different game though.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 04:20:46 pm »
not sure what I think about the kickstarter money for AI War 2 being used to fund a completely different game though.
What on earth gave you the idea anything like that would be happening.

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 05:34:53 pm »
Chris mentioned that if the AI War 2 kickstarter doesn't succeed then he isn't sure what the situation would be for this, I guess that could just mean the profit from selling AI War 2 would help fund this, but then that confirms at least two games being started and finished between when they started this game and when they finish this game, and a problem would be that likely a lot of the people who would buy AI War 2 soon after it is released would have gotten it in the kickstarter instead.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 05:54:12 pm »
Er. No. If the Kickstarter fails Chris is likely to fire everyone and go solo. He may or may not try SBR again in a few years. I'd bet on "not".

If the Kickstarter succeeds he'll at least have Keith around to poke at SBR some more. The longer Keith pokes at SBR, the greater the chance that something will click.

I wouldn't worry about AI War 2 not making money after release. The first one still has a tail.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 12:18:05 pm »
Ah, yeah, I see where the confusion is.  Yeah, Jack hit the high points generally.  But just to confirm things, so you have it from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

1. Funds from AI War II's kickstarter won't be going to SBR.

2. SBR isn't going to be in progress while the AI War II project is going on if the kickstarter there succeeds.

3. If any of our staff moves on to another project prior to AI War II v1.0 coming out, it will be because their part is done.  That typically happens with all our projects, be it music or art or whatever else having to be finished before the long ending period of bugfixing and balance polishing finishes.

4. If the Kickstarter doesn't succeed and some alternative form of funding isn't found, then yeah, I probably have to go solo from then on.  And SBR would be to huge a task to complete on my own in a short enough timeframe to keep me afloat, and I'm burned out on it anyhow, so I don't know what would happen with it.

5. AI War Classic and its expansions are still over a third of our total annual income, so the expectation is that, yes, the sequel would sell well after coming into its own 1.0.  There are 300k copies of AI War that have been sold, and over 1m copies of its various expansions, whereas to kickstart the sequel we need somewhere in the ballpark of 10-15k backers, I'd say.  So the idea that post-1.0 AI War II sales would fund stuff like Keith working on SBR is not too ludicrous I don't think, even if the kickstarter goes bananas somehow and makes a lot more than we need it to.

Any other questions, please let me know, and I apologize for being unclear before!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »
Okay thanks, hopefully they both sell well since this is the first company that I have really taken an interest in. I am looking forward to both games though more so SBR.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 04:48:01 pm »
Thank you!

Offline Malchuth

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 01:43:01 pm »
WolfWhiteFire +1
 ;)

Keep going ARCEN-Games!!!
Alone your game-styles, ideas and your honesty for all, as well of course, is a reason to back you up.

regards
malchuth

but the aim is high on kickstarter, i really hope it wil make it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:48:20 pm by Malchuth »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk