Author Topic: How's modding?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Drakonis

How's modding?
« on: May 01, 2015, 05:06:29 pm »
is it extensive enough to allow for a total conversion of the game into a fantasy 4x? for example, converting it to a 4x similar to fall from heaven 2.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: How's modding?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:04 pm »
You can't really add new mechanics or new buildings, but you can:
1. Easily replace any and all art.
2. Replace any sound effects with a bit more work.
3. Replace all music and voiceovers easily.
4. Rewrite any text.
5. Redo the stats for any buildings, including assigning different mechanics to buildings that didn't have them before.
6. Adjust the balance and costs of most everything.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:31:09 pm »
It's easy to tweak values and such, but changing the genre would be a matter of art assets. You'd need to have an equivalent for every technology, building, race, overworld sprite, GUI element, and so on. You could recycle a fair bit of it, but most of the human buildings would have to go.

Looking at the game files, I'd say for a reskin to fantasy it'd be a job for an artist/writer team more than a coder, but that team would want to wait until game is balanced.

Ah, and just so you're aware, this isn't a traditional 4x. Converting it to be one would probably be harder than making one from scratch.

fake edit: drat, ninja'd by the guy making the game.  :o What he said.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:33:50 pm »
I've been meaning to ask weather this game will be mod compatible i guess I've got my answer now.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk