Author Topic: Race suggestions for our upcoming 4x.  (Read 25769 times)

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
Re: Race suggestions for our upcoming 4x.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 03:10:21 am »
Oooh, we get to make suggestions? And yay for skelebo- Oh crap they got removed? Awww...

Skelebots and draconians are my favourite A Valley Without Wind playable characters(which made A Valley Without Wind 2 kinda disappointing for me since it removed those two time periods) D: Which is impressive since i never actually unlocked draconians(*coughcoughIsuckinavwwcoughcough*) so I don't have idea are they cool ones or lame ones like ones in Age of Wonders 3 :P Yeah, they are by nature of being not human like(assuming, I haven't seen draconians <-< I really have to get on with trying to unlock them) my favourites. Humans are "normal" hence boring in my opinion, so any race that doesn't look like human(assuming they don't look too silly or stupid) is automatically more interesting to play as than them. Only thing that is cooler than non human like playable characters is masks, but apparently I'm only mask enthusiast since faceless helmets are apparently unheroic or something.

And speaking about that weird tangent, yay for humans not being playable! Since in 99.99% of all games you play as humans! Which gets boring, games can be fantastical so why there aren't more games where you don't play as humans?! Like all RPG race choices are basically just humans but with sharp ears or small stature, etc, but you can never play as lizardman or humanoid insect or anything. Yeah, I'm ranting here, I don't really MIND playing as humans, duh, its just that for some reason only genre that consistently allows that is strategy games. And platformers, but thats because most of platformers go for cartoonish style and that style allows for much more variety than just cartoony humans. Its kinda weird, strategy games and fps and what ever don't actually need the playable character to be human, yet strategy games without an option to play as humans are incredibly rare(I guess they are really easy and cheap race to design though :P Since they are usually the "basic" race) and in action games does it really matter what the playable character is? In rpgs I can understand that non humanlike playable characters might require writing to incorporate xenofiction elements into it, but the games where plot doesn't matter much? Yeah, they are still rare. I guess non human playable characters don't allow for escapism or hero fantasies or something?*shrugs* Eh, pity that xeno fiction is unpopular genre.

So uh, besides my weird sidetracks... If not skelebots, can we draconians or some other reptile race?(That preferably actually has reptile face structure and not scaly human face with nose and all that other mammal stuff that reptiles lack. Stupid Age of Wonders 3 draconians) Or more insect races. Or reptile/insect hybrids/chimeras/combination. Huh, I was making just "Bread, eggs, breaded eggs" joke, but now that I think of it... In scifi/fantasy, there sometimes are mammals that look like reptiles, reptiles that look like mammals, birds that look like reptiles, etc, but there aren't insects that look like mammals, birds that look like insects or etc. I guess its just unintuitive to imagine insects combined with other type of animals huh. Its not really hard though, its just about mixing animal traits together and being weirded out by results.

(But yeah, current list is already cool even though no lizards in it, since all of those aliens from arcen games are already nothing like humans), but hey, this IS suggestion thread)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:03:43 am by MaskityMask »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 10:34:23 am »
+1 for lizard race

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2014, 10:14:53 pm »
My vote is for evil snowmen.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Vyndicu

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 07:41:37 am »
I don't think there is ANY races on the list currently that can be a sorta Hive Mind.

Thoraxians comes close I will grant with the Hive queen however individual aren't linked.

So I suggest a MorningLightMountain (actual name not a mistypo) Alien in here which can mental communicate with their lowly soldier etc... Even the Hydra can't really touch on how evil those aliens can be (3k nuclear warhead detonating in a solar-wide skirmish over first contact in 37 min span). For those who are not familiar with this type of Alien, I am referring to commonwealth saga by Peter Hamilton.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 09:40:20 am »
I don't think there is ANY races on the list currently that can be a sorta Hive Mind.

Thoraxians comes close I will grant with the Hive queen however individual aren't linked.

So I suggest a MorningLightMountain (actual name not a mistypo) Alien in here which can mental communicate with their lowly soldier etc... Even the Hydra can't really touch on how evil those aliens can be (3k nuclear warhead detonating in a solar-wide skirmish over first contact in 37 min span). For those who are not familiar with this type of Alien, I am referring to commonwealth saga by Peter Hamilton.

Umm, apparently Thoraxians ARE a hive mind <_< The text for assassinating the queen has them being horrified for killing their "mind" and they go bonkers when the queen is killed until new one is born.

Offline Vyndicu

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 11:12:14 am »
Umm, apparently Thoraxians ARE a hive mind <_< The text for assassinating the queen has them being horrified for killing their "mind" and they go bonkers when the queen is killed until new one is born.

Even if that were true. MorningLightMountain (MLM for short) takes it to a whole another level (Hive mind that is).

One major difference between Thoraxians and MLM is that when individual dies their memories are lost in Thoraxians due to killing queen. When you kill the individual MLM "brain" you don't even scratch it. Because the brain's conscience, if you will, and memories are shared across hundred of thousand individual brains. At worst all you did was reduce their total thinking capacity and reproduction rate temporarily.

To kill MLM for real you would have to commit nothing less than total genocide to stop them.

Offline nitpik

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 04:38:00 pm »
My first thought on seeing the original post was excitement at getting to play as AI 1   (or at least as AI 2 :)  ). Would be sad if we can't.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk