General Category > Stars Beyond Reach... This World Is Mine

Early 2015: Unnamed Terrestrial 4X...

<< < (2/19) > >>

x4000:

--- Quote from: Mick on May 23, 2014, 11:06:47 am ---I, for one, do not miss stacks of doom.

--- End quote ---

It's a problem without an elegant solution, in my opinion.

I'm also tired of having 4x titles with giant people or units standing on top of otherwise-to-scale buildings and terrain.  Not that there's anything wrong with that inherently, I play and enjoy plenty of games that use that and I will continue to do so in the future.  But I'd rather do something a bit different.

Warpstorm:
I personally wish we would have shipped Civ V with the harsher upkeep we had during the alpha.  Unless your economy was really rocking you had a small army.  People wanted more, so they got more.

I'm really looking forward to a new take on the whole issue.

Warpstorm:

--- Quote from: x4000 on May 23, 2014, 11:09:28 am ---I'm also tired of having 4x titles with giant people or units standing on top of otherwise-to-scale buildings and terrain.  Not that there's anything wrong with that inherently, I play and enjoy plenty of games that use that and I will continue to do so in the future.  But I'd rather do something a bit different.

--- End quote ---

You and me both, I keep pushing the designers on the games I've worked on to make a game where the units and buildings are to the same scale.  Maybe someday.

x4000:

--- Quote from: Warpstorm on May 23, 2014, 11:31:49 am ---I personally wish we would have shipped Civ V with the harsher upkeep we had during the alpha.  Unless your economy was really rocking you had a small army.
--- End quote ---

Suddenly the no-stacking makes a WHOLE lot more sense.  This actually would have been a much more fluid and elegant game.  Shame that the majority opinion made this change away from that design, as that does indeed sound superior.  I've gotten to know Jon Shafer, the lead designer of Civ V, pretty well, and I bet he was pretty frustrated by that.  He can't talk about stuff that went on during dev of that game, but he's working on a new game as an indie that I think is really awesome looking.  At The Gates

I-KP:
Civ V was a design disaster event.  Any 4X that has Archers firing 100 miles and populations that are happier to lose their own cities than to win a war is not worth my time.

As for stacking being a problem, see how Paradox do it; neat, tidy and most of all realistic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version