Author Topic: Beta 0.914 (The Diseased, The Unemployed, And The Balanced) Released!  (Read 14508 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Beta 0.914 (The Diseased, The Unemployed, And The Balanced) Released!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 12:01:37 pm »
Based on your definition of a need-based economy, and our discussion of that, it seems that a worker-based economy is exactly equivalent so long as the workers all have needs (which they do).  Having workers have needs and then the need-providers need workers and then also generate money based on customers is incredibly complicated.

Not to code, mind you.  Computers are awesome at that sort of thing.  I had that half coded and then was like "this is a nightmare for the interface."  It's just one of those things that I can't possibly see as being tenable, as there are just soooo many multipliers and whatnot that then get in there.  How do I wrap my head around planning for that as a player?

In terms of the number of turns act 1 should be, I'd probably say 80-100 on average.  I'm pulling that number out of my rear as I have not had proper time to test in a holistic sense lately, though.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 12:12:12 pm »
In terms of the number of turns act 1 should be, I'd probably say 80-100 on average.  I'm pulling that number out of my rear as I have not had proper time to test in a holistic sense lately, though.

I can see that depending on what your start condition is (normals can do that pretty easy).  You definitely
hurt for research advancing that early though.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 12:42:37 pm »
Based on your definition of a need-based economy, and our discussion of that, it seems that a worker-based economy is exactly equivalent so long as the workers all have needs (which they do).  Having workers have needs and then the need-providers need workers and then also generate money based on customers is incredibly complicated.

Not to code, mind you.  Computers are awesome at that sort of thing.  I had that half coded and then was like "this is a nightmare for the interface."  It's just one of those things that I can't possibly see as being tenable, as there are just soooo many multipliers and whatnot that then get in there.  How do I wrap my head around planning for that as a player?

Hmm, possibly I was underthinking it. I was imagining a continuation of the same sort of system they use in Ano 1509 and Cleopatra (etc). Housing provides needs based on citizen count. Those need transform into your effective income when met. So if you meet 50% of your luxury housing citizens needs you'd get X crowns. And so forth. The interface the player would get would be a simple: You need 757 police protection, 234 fire protection, etc (just like now). When met the needs go away (just like now). And then you get magical money from the sky as you provide each unit of need. Future needs could be either kept as a per building requirement (just like now) or could arise from your buildings as you discover the technology required to produce it (you could also just hide need X until a building that produces it can be built).

The 50-100 turns is what I was thinking, but I didn't want to put (more than I already do) words in your mouth.

Cheers, pt.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk