Author Topic: Beta 0.905-0.906 (Very Preliminary Events)  (Read 33676 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Beta 0.905-0.906 (Very Preliminary Events)
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 11:16:20 am »
About the harvester the "main" problem I see is that you can harvest stuff... and just can't use it until much later.

Right now you can't use it at all -- but you do get crowns from doing the harvesting, so there is that short-term benefit.  And when you later are able to use it, you'll be glad to have it on hand rather than scrambling for it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 06:45:27 pm »
hey so sorry if this has already been answered but what's going to replace the felyns tera cleaning powers(I'm not going to read over the notes in till I've taken a look at the game the it is now) since teras been removed?.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 07:43:48 pm »
I'm not sure yet on the Fenyn's cleaning powers.  That is one thing I do need to address, but I don't have it in place just yet.  They might get a special building, we'll see. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 08:34:24 am »
okay so I just looked over the release notes and 1 how exactly was the teleporter concept complicated? I always found it fairly simple to understand personally? 2 I'm a bit sad that the islands style map has nuked but considering that this game has been pushed back about 6 times I'm glad it'll let be more efficient(if you get what I mean) 3 wait you combined the harvesters and extractors? I've got both of those in the new game I started up?. (I think ill have to check that) ps I don't really have a comment on the events yet since I haven't encountered any
c.r

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 09:31:20 am »
Extractors weren't removed (will be next release), they just don't do anything right now.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 11:11:22 am »
it seems to me that fair bit of things are being stripped out of this I hope that the things that are planned are going to make up for because the game at t his point in time feels a bit..empty?.(for lack of a better word)
c.r

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 11:46:34 am »
Well, the current patch is basically the slightly-functional version of the Big Change they've been working on since july-ish. It makes sense its rather empty seeming.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 01:40:32 pm »
it seems to me that fair bit of things are being stripped out of this I hope that the things that are planned are going to make up for because the game at t his point in time feels a bit..empty?.(for lack of a better word)
Did you read Chris's post where he explains how it's not the case? I'm not going to rant, but it sure doesn't sound like the game is going to be empty.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2015, 01:59:04 pm »
Did you read Chris's post where he explains how it's not the case? I'm not going to rant, but it sure doesn't sound like the game is going to be empty.
yes I did and I only meant that its how the game feels at the moment I assume that when the events have been properly integrated that that feeling will go away for me.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 09:06:14 pm »
Yep, right now the game is basically having the base set of buildings stripped back to kind of the bare essentials of core citybuilding.  Most of the more extended concepts are being transitioned to a new data structure type that is more integrated with events, and more flexible in general.

The change could best be summed up as:
Prior: lots of things were shoving a few different numbers around.
Current: fewer things are shoving pretty much the same numbers around.
Upcoming: those same numbers will get shoved around, but then things also get extended to where there's a lot of thematic repercussions to choices you make, and more interesting choices, and more interesting buildings for dealing with those choices.

One good example is with, for instance, the old "let's make commerce and industry feel more different" suggestion.  That can't really be done if they're just separate number systems.  They'll feel basically the same, just two separate and complex things to learn that may as well be one.  See metal and crystal in AI War.

Instead, making them feel different in this case means "let's make the knock-on effects of long term farming or fishing, and the opportunities that do or don't appear from that, different."  That way it's going a lot further than just different loops of numbers.

Don't get me wrong, the number-moving stuff doesn't go away -- it's critical for a simulation of any depth.  But there are more junction points coming up where a textual decision from you is inserted into the process.  And that opens the door for more nuanced buildings without having to build entirely new feedback number loop systems to support each one (which isn't hard, but it is tedious to build and to play).

Anyhow, so yeah -- definitely feeling empty at the moment, but I'm actually kind of enjoying that because I'm stripping out everything I didn't already think was extremely good.  And most of what has been stripped out is stuff that will make a reapperance in the next couple of weeks, just in a newer and more interesting fashion.  Or some variant of the idea will show back up, anyhow.

With teleporters, there was some confusion with those based on some mantis reports.  I could see where the confusion was coming from, and it was one of those things that I could not see a clean way to resolve.  I left that alone for a while, just kind of marinating on the idea for well over a month IIRC, and then it hit me that the teleporters are really pretty pointless at this point.  The scouting limitations are a lot more relevant and interesting (and the new version of scouting coming up is even better), and they accomplish the same goal as teleporters used to without the problems that teleporters had in terms of causing some awkwardness.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »
Terraforming will make a return within the next few weeks, though in a different fashion: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l1zPgVQZNLXbGoc9IwWWyaCxYCxajdvun9mVF6HYaTM/edit#gid=202978034

Just thought folks might enjoy seeing what's coming.

TerraformingEngine
Terraforming takes hard work and lots of machinery.  Well, this is the machinery.  Plop one of these bad boys down, and it will terraform its own tile as well as adjacent tiles.  Be warned, however: this is a hostile planet, so if you pack up the machinery and leave, thinking your job is done... your wonderful terraformed lands are likely to die out.

It's more costly to you, and more directed and based on machinery.  It feels more natural to me, in terms of being in a hostile environment and having to really maintain things.  Plus this solves all of the automation problems and "where does this terraform, and under what conditions?" sort of baloney that we would see in other cases.

The atmospheric competition aspect of this is gone, but other bonuses from terraformed land were already planned anyway -- and now you'll be able to create those bonuses for yourself, too, but with a cost in terms of maintenance of the machines that maintain the lands.

Seems like a nice compromise. :)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 08:47:02 pm »
nice so tera forming's just getting an up grade sounds much better than setting a slider and pumping money into and laughing at all the idiots around you.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 08:55:53 pm »
Yeah, I didn't like the numbers war of it.  Or the way you could just paint the territory with impunity.  It's a lot more interesting this way, I think.

Also, your shipping lanes idea is officially going to be part of the game (in a few weeks).  Thanks for reminding me about that. :)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 09:09:13 pm »
it is? I guess you changed your mind then I have admit that's actually a little bit exiting.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:28 pm »
it is? I guess you changed your mind then I have admit that's actually a little bit exiting.

Indeed!  I always liked the idea, but I had tried a version of that long before we ever went to beta, and it didn't pan out.  Too complex and un-fun.  I never had a better idea on how to handle it until, randomly, tonight it popped into my head after you sent me the PM about it. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk