Author Topic: Beta 0.904 (Top HUD Redesign)  (Read 8674 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Beta 0.904 (Top HUD Redesign)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 01:41:19 pm »
Awesome!

And yep, the font for the intro and some of the headers is new.  The font on the top left hud is not new, although it's a bit of a different size and boldness level, so that does make it look a bit different.  That one is still MoolBoran up there, while the other new font is Hydro, replacing Peaches and Cream (the flowery one).  For the thin text we're still using Zekton or Zekton Bold (depending on the case).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tormodino

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 03:08:16 pm »
I'm a big fan of flowing font, but I think in this case it is beneficial to have a very clear font. It lifted the first impression from the loading screen by leaps, and made the entire client seem less undecided about itself.

Stars is shaping up to be a milestone. Please spend a year more in production so it becomes a truly great game.
I have my eyes on AI War replayability and long long games. Will you rise to the task?

;D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 03:21:54 pm »
Awesome!  Glad it's shaping up so well in your opinion. :)

Another year, though?  Whew!  I definitely can't afford it, heh.  I have some contingencies if September 25th doesn't work out, but I think that the current batch of stuff is bringing us leaps closer to where it should be.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tormodino

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 05:36:16 pm »
Hehe :) Quite understandable.

Good luck with the crunch.

Offline Vinco

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 07:11:41 pm »
Heh.  This is Arcen.  Production doesn't end with release :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 08:15:45 pm »
Whew, we're now looking at the 21st of October, I've decided.  At least for now that's the plan.  I need more time with events and the military to really make them shine as well as they possibly can.  This is probably going to delay the next build and the next round of testers, too.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »
Whew, we're now looking at the 21st of October, I've decided.  At least for now that's the plan.  I need more time with events and the military to really make them shine as well as they possibly can.  This is probably going to delay the next build and the next round of testers, too.
so if I'm reading this correctly then would I be correct in thinking your pushing the release AGAIN?! jeze this must be the 4th time you've pushed the release of this game 0_0
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 12:13:36 am »
Hurk. Wow Chris, that's quite the decision. That means it'll have been in beta for at least six months. How long has the game been in full time development? Glad you're putting real thought into the game, hope you can handle the financial hit.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I suggest two expansions each for both AI War and TLF after this.   ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 09:45:04 am »
so if I'm reading this correctly then would I be correct in thinking your pushing the release AGAIN?! jeze this must be the 4th time you've pushed the release of this game 0_0

You are indeed reading that correctly.  And yep, it's at least the 4th time we've delayed this one.  Maybe the 5th?  Nuts, I know.

Hurk. Wow Chris, that's quite the decision. That means it'll have been in beta for at least six months. How long has the game been in full time development? Glad you're putting real thought into the game, hope you can handle the financial hit.

Spoiler for Hiden:

This game will have been in development since June 2014, although not fulltime then.  It was about 10% capacity in June and July, then about 20% capacity in August and September, than 33% in October and November.  And then from December 2015 onwards it's been 100% capacity.  So overall that works out to the equivalent of 12ish full months of development, times 5 people, plus then also contractors.

The only game we've ever made that took longer was Valley 1, and that was with fewer people.

In terms of what comes after SBR is out, right now the plan is to get moving on another full game.  However, that one is not going to require full programming support the entire time.  Not remotely on this level.  So most likely during that period we'll shift to having Keith also do an expansion on AI War, potentially -- he's been doing those without me for quite a while now, so the division of labor works well there.

Once my mind is a bit more freed up, then I can start thinking about expansions for TLF and SBR.  I kind of need a break from strategy game development for a bit after the SBR work before I dive back even into expansions, heh.  I love that sort of work, but it's been quite a long time of that (TLF was a long haul, then its first expansion, then now SBR).

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »

You are indeed reading that correctly.  And yep, it's at least the 4th time we've delayed this one.  Maybe the 5th?  Nuts, I know.

Spoiler for Hiden:

This game will have been in development since June 2014, although not fulltime then.  It was about 10% capacity in June and July, then about 20% capacity in August and September, than 33% in October and November.  And then from December 2015 onwards it's been 100% capacity.  So overall that works out to the equivalent of 12ish full months of development, times 5 people, plus then also contractors.

The only game we've ever made that took longer was Valley 1, and that was with fewer people.

In terms of what comes after SBR is out, right now the plan is to get moving on another full game.  However, that one is not going to require full programming support the entire time.  Not remotely on this level.  So most likely during that period we'll shift to having Keith also do an expansion on AI War, potentially -- he's been doing those without me for quite a while now, so the division of labor works well there.

Once my mind is a bit more freed up, then I can start thinking about expansions for TLF and SBR.  I kind of need a break from strategy game development for a bit after the SBR work before I dive back even into expansions, heh.  I love that sort of work, but it's been quite a long time of that (TLF was a long haul, then its first expansion, then now SBR).

I would like to suggest a simple crafting-survival game with no zombies and a ton of craftables. Do the whole thing with 2d art on a flat background, (like SH was going to be before it went sidescroller). And have randomly generated biomes, animals/enemies, but have a safe crafting time, like maybe daytime?

Don't make a clone of someone else's game, but make it straightforward and simple and get it out in the world and see if people want a expansion. Where you could add maybe weather effects, or a choosable tools and weapons degrade over time. Have crafting that uses steps, instead of i found this thing to use immediately. If i shoot a wolf, then skin it, cook and eat the meat, and tan the hide and then craft a cloak to keep me warmer, then that is cool. Finding a cloak is less fun, because you aren't giving me anything to do. :(  Anyway. This should be an easy-peasy piece of cake compared to some of the difficult and complicated games you have already made.

And i would have an Arcen crafting/survival game and wouldn't have to go someplace else to find one. Which i have tried, but to be honest the online ones are filled with hackers and the single-player ones all have zombies and guns and are more shooters than they are crafting games. Which is a shame, because it seems its not real hard to think of, its just everyone has to keep trying the zombie multiplayer killzone kind of stuff.
Anyway, maybe Arcen can do something light and different than a heavy strategy title after SBR.

Thanks for listening,

-Teal

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:25:11 pm by Teal_Blue »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 01:24:09 pm »
Survival and somewhat crafting (and definitely procgen exploration and enemies) is actually what is coming next!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 06:07:21 pm »
Survival and somewhat crafting (and definitely procgen exploration and enemies) is actually what is coming next!

That is wonderful!!   :)

Offline Firemad

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 06:55:03 pm »
Since I'm not in the beta and I'm curious about the Top HUD Redesign can anyone show us a screenshot ?  ;D

or a beta key haha I'm trying  >D

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12:42 pm »

That is wonderful!!   :)

Maybe. Every other game is crafting now. Collect five of these, get four of those, make something so that you can collect five more of that. Sprinkle in some Zombies.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:07 pm »
Screenshot
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk