Author Topic: Beta 0.901 (Misc)  (Read 2237 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.901 (Misc)
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:04:00 pm »
Release notes: https://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Phase_2_Release_Notes#Version_0.901

Miscellaneous stuff, in the main.  We're going to be hitting a dry spell in terms of some of what we release over the next few days in particular, because we're going to be gearing up for the International Relations Grid and the things that are going to be coming along with that.  I've finally figured out a visual way to represent the diplomacy stuff (and victory conditions) all in one screen that is not spreadsheet-feeling, and that is actually more informative due to not being spreadsheet-feeling.  And that is more informative than having the info on the main gameplay area, where it would be spread apart too much.

Plenty is still going to be building-based, but I feel like I finally have had the breakthrough I was looking for on a "diplomacy" (really it's more than that, which is the idea) system that is blindingly simple to look at, has really clear goals, and yet has a ton of depth.  And which has plenty of room for character text and dialogue without making it a text-based interface that's in your face.

The earliest versions of this are going to be ugly as sin in a lot of ways, because I'm not even involving the artists until I have it where it's functionally where I want it (they are quite busy for the moment anyhow).  But I think that within a month it should also look really really slick.  I'm excited, and feeling like I have traction on this difficult issue for the first time.  It will be able to look good, it seems to match what you guys and other folks on the internet in general are looking for in terms of immediacy and consistency of the AI (and clarity), it's technically feasible, and most importantly of all it's actually something that I personally will enjoy playing in a one-more-turn sort of fashion I'm 90% sure, so that's the biggest hurdle met.  If I find it fun, I can refine it; if I don't find it fun, I don't know what I'm doing.  Obviously the proof there will be in the pudding, for you and for me when we try it out, but it's clear enough in my head that I have a high amount of confidence in it.  I imagine v1 of it is going to need all sorts of tweaks and changes, like territories did, but I have that same sort of feeling of rightness about this.

Anyway, enough of that.  That's what I've been up to today, and mostly I wasn't able to do anything other than just solve that very challenging visual aspect of things (since literally everything else feeds into that).  Now that I have that and the play flow worked out, it's going to be getting down to brass tacks tomorrow developing the actual content that goes in that frame and flow.  Keith, meanwhile, will be tied up implementing the frame for a bit, so that's going to hold up the pipeline on most everything else until we pass that hump.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Beta 0.901 (Misc)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:30:12 pm »
Really like the hue shifting in the SP screen.  It really is eye catching!
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Venhammer

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:52:08 pm »
Good to hear you're making progress on the diplomacy front, very excited to see what you cone up with!
If absence makes the heart grow fonder, what does presence make?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:54:40 am »
Really like the hue shifting in the SP screen.  It really is eye catching!

Excellent!  I was hoping it would be, without being garish. :)

Good to hear you're making progress on the diplomacy front, very excited to see what you cone up with!

Thanks!  I'm itching to see all this in practice and to get to test it myself, too.  Hopefully we can get this done in a week and a half at the most, we'll see.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk