Author Topic: Beta 0.890-0.893 (Overhaul to Territories)  (Read 5289 times)

Offline tadrinth

Re: Beta 0.890-0.893 (Overhaul to Territories)
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 12:10:35 am »
Holy crap, that first military tech is really freaking important and useful now. 

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 03:58:11 am »
I haven't gotten much time to really get into it.

But I like territories and I like how the game feels more right now. The map feels smaller (it is), I ran into 3 races by turn 77. I now want to "share" the lands of the other races. I'm claiming tons of resources, but managing them is troublesome. I would really like it if the tooltips on the inventory screen for resources was added soon. The tech tree feel tighter, but also more awkward. That could be an experience issue.

In general I feel more involved and active and less like playing SimCity (not that either is a bad thing).
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 07:59:20 am »
Looking at the patch notes, this sounds a heck of alot more interesting (and less confusing) than the way things were before.

I'll give it a try tomorrow I think, and post some impressions.  I'd do it now, but pain is present (again) so no mouse-based games right now.  You'd be amazed at just how obnoxious that gets.

I'm thinking also that reduced map sizes are a good thing; one of my most constant complaints was amazing amounts of blank space that didn't have a use or purpose.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 09:41:41 am »
Holy crap, that first military tech is really freaking important and useful now.

That's very true!

I haven't gotten much time to really get into it.

But I like territories and I like how the game feels more right now. The map feels smaller (it is), I ran into 3 races by turn 77. I now want to "share" the lands of the other races. I'm claiming tons of resources, but managing them is troublesome. I would really like it if the tooltips on the inventory screen for resources was added soon. The tech tree feel tighter, but also more awkward. That could be an experience issue.

In general I feel more involved and active and less like playing SimCity (not that either is a bad thing).

Awesome on the meeting of more races that soon, and that you're running into that much desire to "share" their space. ;)

The resource density might be too high right now, I'm not sure.

Glad that the tech tree feels tighter, although I'm not sure what is feeling awkward about it -- only real change this past time has been the removal of the district additions.  Is it a spacing thing?

I'm glad that you're feeling more involved and more like this is a 4X than a citybuilder, because that's definitely the goal.  Not that I dislike that SimCity feel, but it was always meant to be one component of a larger 4X, not "that's how it feels" and then "oh hey, there's some 4X stuff over there I can optionally mess with after 200 turns if I want." ;)

Looking at the patch notes, this sounds a heck of alot more interesting (and less confusing) than the way things were before.

I'll give it a try tomorrow I think, and post some impressions.  I'd do it now, but pain is present (again) so no mouse-based games right now.  You'd be amazed at just how obnoxious that gets.

Awesome on all but the pain -- really sorry to hear that's still plaguing you right now.

I'm thinking also that reduced map sizes are a good thing; one of my most constant complaints was amazing amounts of blank space that didn't have a use or purpose.

Agreed.  Copying for a third time (third thread) because it's definitely relevant again:

The smaller map sizes really are more reflective of the original intent of the game (having that Risk-like feeling of always being near everybody).  The reason I didn't have that before was because we needed big amounts of buffer space between players and other AIs in order to have the player not getting attacked constantly.  Now with territories and incidents and so forth, that's no longer really a concern, so I get to go back to the original Risk-like intent.  I hated how far away all the AIs were in the past, because I felt like I never saw them and had no reason to interact with them.  But I can definitely understand how that's a huge change in feel.  I imagine that having fewer AIs, and possibly custom map sizes, will be a thing in the future.  Though to be warned, custom map sizes that are larger will run like a dog
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 11:15:30 am »
Glad that the tech tree feels tighter, although I'm not sure what is feeling awkward about it -- only real change this past time has been the removal of the district additions.  Is it a spacing thing?

It was a metaphorical tighter. In old version had a script to follow to research, with minor changes due to circumstance. In my first game back, I don't have as much research as I'm used to and things have been moved around a little. I just barely have Middle Class Eateries at turn 77. I also had to make a choice to get there, although in retrospect, I probably should have just built out an apartment complex/fast food diner complex, and gotten cheaper techs first.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 12:02:46 pm »
Ah, I gotcha.  Well, some very interesting stuff on that front coming in the next version (out in 30 minutes or less).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 12:39:54 pm »
Well, new version in the next couple of hours at the latest. ;)  There's actually a higher number of goodies I'm cramming in there at the last minute.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk