Author Topic: Beta 0.823 now out (resources! adjacency! performance!).  (Read 2035 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.823 now out (resources! adjacency! performance!).
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:16:18 pm »
New version: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Release_Notes#Version_0.823

If you've noticed that Keith and I have had a low amount of notes in this particular version, and that I've been away from the forums relatively speaking, it's because we've been absolutely absorbed into two things.  He's been sucked into performance witch-hunting, and has burned quite a few witches in that area. ;)  And I've been sucked into the resources and natural wonders and related things.

I hadn't thought that the resources would take that long, but doing them with real care and also making sure that they make logical sense and have a bit of a thematic verisimilitude to them was important to me.  Most of the science-y stuff in there is at least based on real science, although I stretched it to various degrees.  Equally balanced with that, however, was the attention I needed to pay to the mix of what resources go to what building, what sort of bonuses there are, how strong, how frequent, in what zones, etc.

I am somewhat concerned that perhaps the player is getting too many resources right now per mine -- I may need to drop that from 3 to 2.  But for now we'll see how it goes.

You are going to feel SUPER wealthy when you start using some of these resources and the natural wonders in order to augment your cities.  Right now that may make you OP in the midgame and late-game, but I'll be curious on opinions on that.  Anyway, the goal for the future is for the proper usage of these things to be something that is required to really have a strong endgame on any respectable difficulty level.  Aka you won't be able to just build the incredible sprawl that you do now, but rather you'll be strongly encouraged to "build deep" with lots of adjacency bonuses, if that makes sense.

The multiplicative nature of them might be problematic, we'll see.  It probably will be, but for now I wanted to try it.  Anyhow, that's the news for now. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Beta 0.823 now out (resources! adjacency! performance!).
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:19:07 pm »
This is exciting.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline jerith

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 05:24:02 pm »
And here I thought you were taking a much-deserved morning off...

I'm looking forward to trying out these changes. :-)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 05:25:28 pm »
hey I just want to suggest something could you have right clicking on the buildings that use resources tell you what their agacencey bonuses are? its been bugging me for a while now and it means I never use these buildings because I cant remember and its to much of pain in the ass to remember.(apart from computing cores their obvious but I tend to forget about them a lot)
c.r

Offline Azurian

• Space is a beautiful place
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 06:12:51 pm »
I love resources.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:14:45 pm by Azurian »
PLEASE REPORT FEEDBACK TO MANTIS IF YOU WANT THEM TO SEE IT!
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 07:56:35 am »
This is the first patch without my name in its notes. (after I became a blueshirt) Seppuku is in order.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 12:16:02 pm »
hey I just want to suggest something could you have right clicking on the buildings that use resources tell you what their agacencey bonuses are? its been bugging me for a while now and it means I never use these buildings because I cant remember and its to much of pain in the ass to remember.(apart from computing cores their obvious but I tend to forget about them a lot)

I think it does this now?  I can't recall.  I'm about to do a bunch of testing, because I've not tested enough lately and I need to see some things first-hand.  But if that's not in there, just pop it up on mantis.  I could have sworn I did that, but maybe I missed it.  You're absolutely right that it was a big oversight for a long while, though.

This is the first patch without my name in its notes. (after I became a blueshirt) Seppuku is in order.

The last couple of patches have had hardly anyone's name in them, don't feel bad.  So much time spent on inward-facing stuff, but we're finally coming to the end of that.  So that's exciting, we'll be able to start chewing through mantis again. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 12:37:50 pm »

I think it does this now?  I can't recall.  I'm about to do a bunch of testing, because I've not tested enough lately and I need to see some things first-hand.  But if that's not in there, just pop it up on mantis.  I could have sworn I did that, but maybe I missed it.  You're absolutely right that it was a big oversight for a long while, though.

funny thing is that right clicking the buildings when their in your build doesn't actually do anything now I've already reported it to mantis but I just thought id mention that.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk