Author Topic: Beta 0.816 now out.  (Read 6588 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Beta 0.816 now out.
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:52:38 pm »
Whew, this one is giant!  http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Release_Notes#Version_0.816

I've put up another "beta" build for Steam that lets you revert to 0.815 if this eats your game overnight or something.  There is a LOT of new math and so forth in this one, so it's quite possible that we messed something up.  Mainly me, in the international incident calculations.  If you get into game lockups or something, that will be why.  Seems okay to me so far, but my testing has been limited as this is "hot off the presses," as they say. ;)

First folks out the airlock, once again. ;)

Notably new in this version, in no particular order:

1. Resource trading actually works now.

2. You will now see proper rogue waves rather than Grials, Grials all the live long day.

3. There is no longer a vicious cycle of death involving food production staffing.

4. There are a ton more staffing requirements for a lot of the "nice to have" buildings, like stuff that builds new products and writings, etc, so that you have somewhere to put your citizenry to work that at the same time doesn't cripple your infrastructure if they can't make it in to the office today. ;)

5. You now can read the AI text fully at skill level 5, rather than skill level 7.  As you might expect, you can also thus read the text better at lower skill levels, too.

6. Hey!  You can queue up all sorts of cool stuff in the tech tree now, which is pretty darn slick.  I wish I'd known I could do that in Civ, because that is freaking awesome as a feature.  Now we have it here, too.

7. International Incidents are slowly making their way into the game.  These take a LOT of framework, and about 90% of that framework is done now, I'd say.  It's very light on content at the moment, but it already really creates a very different feel in terms of AIs not wanting to immediately nuke you when you come near them.  This also lets you do proper approaches to AIs and then get into combined-arms fights with them, which should let the military portion of the game show a lot better.

8. That said, the AI is in a lot of ways more passive than ever, since the incidents are chiefly their ways of lashing out at one another and you.  And at the moment they don't really have much in the way of data for that, meaning that they can't really do that much.  They'll respond to your aggression, but they're going to be super oddly pacifist in this version in terms of proactively coming after you.  Enjoy that while it lasts. ;)

9. We've got internal mechanics working for MUCH more challenging and interesting raids from AIs against you and other AIs, again to have combined-arms fights in interesting ways.  The military combat here is basically only interesting when it's combined arms, which was always the goal in terms of how you'd have to mix things up, anyway.  That said, these mechanics aren't hooked up to anything yet, so you don't really get the benefit of these yet.  It's coming, though!

Some folks were basically waiting for a "giant international incidents release," and I can understand why on that.  However, that would be far too long of a stretch with no releases.  There's a lot of goodies in this release, plus a huge amount of the international incidents stuff.  But as a byproduct of you having a partially-complete version of the incidents, this actually makes the AIs more passive rather than more interesting.  Rest assured that is incredibly temporary!!  As it stands I think that this release is still a huge improvement over the prior one.

If you want to force a quicker update, just restart steam.

Goodnight!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Beta 0.816 now out.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:21:16 pm »
ill do some proper testing on this patch in the morning(its past 2 0clock in the morning were I am) also I guess this explain why the andors weren't shooting my diplomatic embesery in the face. ps good night see you handsome devils tomorrow
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:27:20 pm by crazyroosterman »
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 02:51:03 am »
Awesome, finally! Do we need to make a new save game or does the incidents work already on old saves?

Also I have a philosophical question for all of you.

The Middle Class Eatery, Fine Dining, and Lager House no longer require staff.

It's just robots all the way down when it comes to the food industries now, as it already was for all the other buildings in that sector.

Acutians and Andors are robots. You use servitor robots. Should this now called slavery? Should attack these two races you because of slavery?
Think about it.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 05:46:17 am »
What does computational psychosemantics mean though? .-.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:07:16 am »
Awesome, finally! Do we need to make a new save game or does the incidents work already on old saves?

It's just robots all the way down when it comes to the food industries now, as it already was for all the other buildings in that sector.

Acutians and Andors are robots. You use servitor robots. Should this now called slavery? Should attack these two races you because of slavery?
Think about it.
depends how advanced the ai of these robots is if their advanced enough to be considered sentient then I can absolutely imagine the andors declaring war on you for that. (not the acutions though I don't they'd give a shit really)
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 04:37:21 pm »
Do we need to make a new save game or does the incidents work already on old saves?

Savegames always work!  Not a worry.  And yes, the incidents will invade your old savegames just fine. ;)

Think about it.

In various places I'm careful to mention "non-sentient" robots.  A roomba is not a slave, but it's good at cleaning floors.  We have all sorts of specialized non-slave robots in our real-life factories today, and we're even working on non-sentient robots that you can teach simple tasks.

That's different from a full-out android, though. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline jerith

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 02:14:56 am »

Like my phone? :-P

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 08:42:28 am »

Like my phone? :-P

Mine is also different from an android, since mine is a tasty fruit.  :P

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 09:06:35 am »
Mine is also different from an android, since mine is a tasty fruit.  :P

Nice. Banana phones aren't getting enough love these days. I take it you are a Billy Connolly fan?
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 09:07:32 am »
Yes, yes, that's what I meant.  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk