Author Topic: Redshirt roll call  (Read 3505 times)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Redshirt roll call
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 12:38:56 pm »
  • Disease
    • It's a problem
    • Everything was great, until the Boarines attacked a random Exploration Camp.
    • Then I picked up a disease from them, which immediately spread to everyone.
    • Then almost everyone died. We survived only by our birth production each turn.
    • The graveyards then became useless, I was losing as many people as were born each turn to disease.
    • This triggered a pollution - litter - crime cascade. However, because the population was so low and people died a turn after being hatched, it didn't matter.
    • I ran 50 turns to get the Disease Center, which then would take another 38 turns to build.
    • I surrendered at that point.
  • Save games
    • Once I get so far, I can't save anymore. It claims it is a lack of HD space.
    • That might actually be the case now that I think about it. The RAM usage is 1.5 gig and possibly using more in pagefile.
    • I'll free up some more HD space (only 3 gigs free, Yeah, I know) and see what happens.
  • Exploration Camps
    • To stop the required Exploration Camp use, use them to uncover your entire starting area (the places with the green building symbols.
    • Although, unless I'm missing something, they are tons better than the next Science Building, so just Spam the heck out of them.
  • Litter - Pollution - Crime Spiral
    • Litter causes pollution which then causes crime which then causes everyone to die.
    • Once buildings stop functioning due to population loss litter production skyrockets.
    • I think the Resource Production building litter production, especially when undermined, it glitched. They end up producing 1000's of trash in some cases.
  • Factories
    • Factories produce too much pollution.
    • They also are available too early and they encourage me to build them too much.
    • Which leads to sadness because they don't produce useful things that early.
    • I'm guessing they are used for Market Items, but I've not manage to successfully make any in the ~160 turns I've lasted.
    • The moral is: build banks not factories.
    • Then build police stations adjacent to banks.
  • Resource Building Chains
    • I can build the extractor -> warehouse chain. And select the resource to process. But I don't know what it is doing.
    • Also, no one ever wants any of my store resources.
  • Resource Buildings
    • Don't build them until after turn 100. They produce up to 50% of your trash disposal limit, EACH. [/li]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:45:26 pm by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 01:43:55 pm »

• Litter causes pollution which then causes crime which then causes everyone to die.
  • Once buildings stop functioning due to population loss litter production skyrockets.
  • I think the Resource Production building litter production, especially when undermined, it glitched. They end up producing 1000's of trash in some cases.

I'm thinking this is either bad balanced right now or just bugged. I tend to the last one because for some odd reason the sudden jump from "zero" to "1000+" of crome/trash/deaths comes out of nowhere. You are doing fine. You think of everything, you have police stations everywhere that cover the whole city, Hazmat centers that care about the pollution and trash dumps for, well, trash that comes across. But still it happens with no apparent reason.
So what are you doing wrong? Still not enough of everything?

I think this is the first aspect of the game that needs improvements because, as I can see in this thread, everyone has this problem and everyone has to give up at that point because there is now way of jumping back into the game. It's also a very dumb way of loosing because you know you mafe everything right (or at least it seems to you) but than the game turns upsite down and you can only watch your city fall.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 02:51:58 pm »
only problem I'm having so far is figuring out how to attack buildings but that's probably just me being dumb I honestly haven't had a crime problem since I built 2 police stations I do have a problem controlling my ever increasing pollution though despite my 5 pollution cleaner buildings  that are strategically placed around my city I'm at turn 73.
c.r

Offline Pizzatiger

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 03:13:59 pm »
I had two games so far, One i lost because of save crash and the other to the horrible sprial of crime and litter  like you guys are saying 

Questions-
Also has anyone figured out how to mess with the average tempature of a world? The tempature keeps going into places my people hate,

Has anyone figured out how to get underground? The advance setup claims there is a underground generation but i can't  figure how to get to that stage

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 03:50:26 pm »
Questions-
Also has anyone figured out how to mess with the average tempature of a world? The tempature keeps going into places my people hate,
Later technologies. Pretty sure I saw Magma Deflection, but that's also one of the worldcracker objectives.

Has anyone figured out how to get underground? The advance setup claims there is a underground generation but i can't  figure how to get to that stage
TAB. Special buildings go there (basement mines/bunkers/etc).

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 03:54:57 pm »

TAB. Special buildings go there (basement mines/bunkers/etc).
[/quote] I didn't know that either thanks.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 12:02:56 am »
Biggest problem I'm seeing is still pollution.  Half of my city is the blasted hazmats.  They do little.  That number keeps slowly rising nonetheless, and I'm not using many factories or anything (I think I have like, one, and it was some time before I placed that).

For crime, currently I seem to have achieved anti-crime;  the police and such seem to do their job when properly planned for.

Same with garbage... dont have any.  Like, none.

Are there ANY other anti-pollution facilities than just the useless hazmat?  Seriously, that thing is worthless.   I have.... about 56 total buildings in my city right now.  18 of those are hazmats.  This is BARELY keeping pollution under control.  Barely.  And I need AT LEAST three more of the horrid things before I really do anything else.

Also, scouting seems utterly pointless not that long into the game.  As far as I can tell, you cant actually interact with the vast majority of the map.... it almost may as well not even be there. So.... I just dont really need to know where anything is.  Heck, for all the stuff that IS visible, NONE of it is of even the slightest importance.  Just useless blank tiles.    And you could say, well, you want those resources, except... city expansion speed is downright GLACIAL.   And it's never going to be so utterly gigantic that most of those resources would matter in any way at all.   The ONLY thing that's out there is what barely passes for an Andor "city", which seems to consist of... exactly 8 buildings.  The Andors arent actually DOING anything whatsoever.  They've got some harvesters out, but... that's it.   No other civs within range of importance, and I get the impression that this is going to be the case for the remainder of the game.

As it is, the further I get, the less interesting it's getting.   Currently, there's no strategy any more;  expand buildings, build a million hazmats, build up tech.   There's nothing else to do now.  Social upgrades are pointless, I've just been clicking them at random for some time.

And then the garbage exploded.  In ONE turn.  Just one.  Went from zero to 27000.... yeah.  I'm thinking that for this to be playable, the whole disease mechanic and everything related to it needs either alot of tweaking, or possibly a total overhaul.... right now, it just doesnt work.  I might wait to continue on this until a couple of patches are done, as currently, there's not much more I can even test at this point.  I cant get far enough into the game to do late-game stuff (and I dont even know what is considered late-game), and I've no dealings at any point with other races, there's typically no military stuff happening (I *still* now do not see anyone other than that one tiny Andor city).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:29:24 am by Misery »

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 12:21:45 am »
Hazmats are cleaning up ~25 pollution in a 3 radius. A Dump produces 300 pollution in a 3 radius. If scrubbing stacks you need ~10 Hazmats in range of a dump.
A Stock Exchange produces ~300 crime. A Police produces ~23 police in a 2 radius.

I'm replicating Misery's experience 50% of my city is police and Hazmats. I have a Stock Exchange surrounded by 5 or 6 Police and it doesn't really stop crime.

As for the end game. I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, so I can't comment. Perhaps I'm just not growing enough? I don't know.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 12:31:37 am »
Crime actually I'm having no problem with.  I still have anti-crime, as it's been in the negatives this whole time. 

Of course, I've been too busy placing more of those accursed hazmats to build things like shopping malls.   Heck, more population areas almost seem to exist JUST to work the hazmats!

And holy diseases, Batman!  I have a disease center, too, but it doesnt appear to do anything.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 01:05:09 am »
Hazmats reduce 100, not 25. But besides that I agree, reducing pollution is one of the biggest balancing issues of the game (next to diseases and crimes). Half of the game you are just looking if your net pollution is still low enough. And even if it is below zero it still seems magically to increase.
On the other hande you have no way of decreasing it. It may be a bug but I built enough hazmats to go WAY below Zero just to test of you can clean all the mess you and your citizens produce.
Also i don't see why some buildings produce that much pollution and some not. the engineer job is a very early pollution producer but it is also an important core building that you need for faster building. Since It's so important you need a lot of it and your pollution will skyrocket.You need about to place three Hazmats to contain most of the pollution and another one so no pollution appears at all.

I think the game needs still a lot of balancing but that's okay since that's why we test it anyway.

And did someone, ANYONE actually achieve a victory? Would be interested how he managed it if so.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 02:22:40 am »
Hazmats reduce 100, not 25.
They did in .770, but not in the latest version. Check my other forum post for my new understanding of mechanics. Actually, I've added the saves if you guys want to look at it.

It depends on your Race. The Fenyn hate hazmat control and have only 25 scrubbing. The Krolim and Zenith have 90/100 scrubbing.

Victory - Looking at the victory conditions, the tech research goal is probably the simplest. It would just be tedious right now. Just screwing around I'm up to 1 million crowns, buying the way to victory actually doesn't seem hard. The key seems to be to avoid diseases.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:36:55 am by ptarth »

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 03:40:03 am »
pollution was also my problem I've never had a problem with crime and once I built a dumb it was fixed like magic.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 05:09:49 am »
Okay, so, I'm putting up a save myself as well, showing more of the pollution problem.

In my case, I have so much of the cleaning effect from the hazmats that the pollution SHOULD have hit 0 looooooong before this point.  In fact, if you go to place a hazmat, you can see that it's all blue... no yellow or red sources.  It's all neutralized.  Yet still, the disease happens.  In addition, there's no explosion of garbage.  I have a ton of garbage dumps.  Yet still.... disease. 

Doesnt make a lick of sense.

I've put up a mantis ticket for this here: http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=16232

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 11:00:31 am »
I made some changes in your design, check them out.
1. Notice that all the hazmats are offline (for the most part).
2. Notice that Pollution gets up to 1000 - 1400 depending on save, and then doesn't change.
3. Notice that the Evucks have a cloud of smog drifting your direction.
4. Notice the Acutians are horrible people, their cloud of smog is also drifting in your direction.

Also, I note that Hazmat efficiency is Race dependent. The Fenyn hate hazmat control and have only 25 scrubbing. The Krolim and Zenith have 90/100 scrubbing.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:37:48 am by ptarth »

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 01:33:47 pm »
I made some changes in your design, check them out.
1. Notice that all the hazmats are offline (for the most part).
2. Notice that Pollution gets up to 1000 - 1400 depending on save, and then doesn't change.
3. Notice that the Evucks have a cloud of smog drifting your direction.
4. Notice the Acutians are horrible people, their cloud of smog is also drifting in your direction.

Also, I note that Hazmat efficiency is Race dependent. The Fenyn hate hazmat control and have only 25 scrubbing. The Krolim and Zenith have 90/100 scrubbing.
That would explain why Fenyn are labeled as "hard" compared to other races.

Also, what me annoys a little, it's just a minor thing, is that graphical thing that all player buildings look the same on every race but the AI controlled races have a different look on their buildings. I tried this with different races, Fenyn, Burlustsm peltians, everytime the same, if the AI controls them they have the cool racial unique look, if I control them they all have the same plain look. I'm a little disappointed in that.