Author Topic: Organizing the Wiki  (Read 1860 times)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Organizing the Wiki
« on: April 22, 2015, 01:46:24 pm »
I think we should discuss how we would organize it.

I created a race page for the Thoraxians and would like to know if the layout is okay like it is. I dicided the page in 3 segments, what special buildings they own, what is their typical behaiour in the game and strategic advices when you encounter them.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
Re: Organizing the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:58:05 pm »
Organizationally it looks fine. Probably have to create a data box for them similar to the ones on the Last Federation Thoraxian page. The only issue I have with the content is that I haven't at all seen the behavior you're describing. None of the AI civs ever behave properly for me.

I might go through and viciously edit, if I remember when I get home.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 04:08:04 pm »
you know regarding what your saying about the ai I was wondering today why the zenith have such a bone for me and it occurred to me that they may have been all set to one persific behaviour in till chris decides its the right time to properly implement their ais.(just in case you didn't the ai are meant to pick a random leader from the list of their species who each have different characteristics and behave differently)
c.r

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:00:08 pm »
I think you are just unlucky. I've not noticed any extra aggression from the zenth compared to the other races.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 05:06:26 pm »
Since this is here I'll mention that I just took a whack at the starting out guide. I've left the tabulated information, but a fair amount of the bulleted data was already obsolete or listed for alteration. I'd prefer that it be looked at again when the game is in a more stable state, maybe even post-blueshirt entry.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 05:11:02 pm »
I'm starting to figure out wiki template syntax, so if you ever need something simple (not too many conditionals) I might be able to put it together.

It's basically just raw HTML that takes input parameters (although it is messy as hell).
e.g.
Code: [Select]
<div style="left:10px; top:4px; width:32px; height:32px; position:absolute;">
[[Image:{{#if:{{{icon-image|}}}|{{{icon-image}}}|Grid_{{{icon}}}.png}}|32px|link={{#if:{{{icon-link|}}}|{{{icon-link}}}|{{{icon}}}}}|alt={{{icon}}}]]
</div>

Produces a div with the indicated style which wraps a wiki-syntax inserted image with the indicated image file, hyperlink, and alt-text.
The if-statements are basically #if:condition|true|false

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 05:15:36 pm »
I'm starting to figure out wiki template syntax, so if you ever need something simple (not too many conditionals) I might be able to put it together.

I found the crazy one! I found him! :P

Seriously though, not many people like doing that, and its always impressive when people can. If you want, I can send you some of the more advanced template-making documentation. :)
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 05:23:37 pm »
I found the crazy one! I found him! :P

Seriously though, not many people like doing that, and its always impressive when people can. If you want, I can send you some of the more advanced template-making documentation. :)

Haha.  I've been scavaging template syntax putting together a Minecraft mod wiki.  I liked the crafting grid template thingies, so I found the one on Buildcraft's wiki (pure image placement) and was able to slowly dissect it as I needed a simpler version for my own machine.  Replaced the background, removed 7 of the slots, repositioned the remaining two...

And once I was down to only the eight or so lines of code I started to be able to pick out the patterns.  It's just hugely buried in the wikisyntax.  {{{foo}}} is a variable reference for the variable foo and {{{foo|}}} checks to see if it was passed to the template (why that syntax, I have no idea).  The three braces were necessary because one is just a brace and two refers to a template (yes, you can use templates inside templates!)

It is, on the other hand, neigh impossible to debug.  You have to save the template, then edit a page using it, and preview that page to see if it worked.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 05:33:45 pm »
The wiki syntax gives most people a headache because you have to count the braces and try to trace everything.

What I do to debug most things is I put <includeonly></includeonly> for the actual template code, then put the template I'm calling inside of <noinclude></noinclude>. The <noinclude> makes it not get transcluded to other pages.

Some fun stuff for you to read for ArcenWiki: 1 2 3 4 5 and 6
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:40:21 pm by Dominus Arbitrationis »

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 06:53:09 pm »
#5 I used to create a microtemplate to turn a vanilla item name into an external link.

eg. {{vanilla|Redstone Dust}} into [http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Redstone_Dust Redstone Dust]

I needed to replace the space with an underscore.  Took me an hour to get it working right. XD  Then had to figure out why it was line-breaking (there was a blank line after the <noinclude> section for the doc).

Most of those other links are beyond me though.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 06:58:59 pm »
Heh, templates always take a while, which is why I stick to modifying existing templates and patching them that way.

They're mostly for really complicated templates that need weird complex things done. A few on ArcenWiki do rely on those though.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:27:31 pm »
Indeed.
I'd need a general design to build one from scratch, but I've managed to perforce pierce the veil on how they work.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 11:39:09 pm »
I found out at least some differences in the behaviour of the different races.
The Andors do not seem to advance their city in any way. They build extractors and some military buildingbut besides that their city never grows and keeps really small. Unless this is a bug that is a very unique behaviour.
Spire of course fall out of every rule because they don't maintain cities like the other races and instead build that shining towers.

I've never seen what the Krolin ot the Yali do though.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:12 am »
The Andors do not seem to advance their city in any way. They build extractors and some military buildingbut besides that their city never grows and keeps really small. Unless this is a bug that is a very unique behaviour.
Spire of course fall out of every rule because they don't maintain cities like the other races and instead build that shining towers.

I've never seen what the Krolin ot the Yali do though.
The Andor are supposed to be building as much as anyone else... in an environmentally conscious way. More than a few AI civs are bugged like this, seeing the same from the Burlurst.

Those towers are the Spire city, it's just loosely networked, similar to the Neinzul.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 11:38:56 am »
Look at what they are building below the surface.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.