Author Topic: Just a random question with regard to notification (icons)  (Read 2701 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Are these supposed to look the same as the icon used in the tech tree / somewhere else?
Are they supposed to be tinted to match the player race?
Something else?

If the first statement is true, this is definitely not the case, since most notifications thwt I am seeing come along using a really weird combination of colors - like blue Krolins, silver Arcutians, blue chips etc. Essentially what I am seeing looks almost like inverted colors and/or hue shifts by 180 degress...

My assumption is that the second statement might be true, but in this case I have to say: It is not working for me - at all.

In case it is not clear what I m talking about I can provide screenshots.
I just wanted to test the waters before mantissing this ;).

For me this issue is reallay impeding the look of the game a fair amount.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:30:18 pm by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Just a random question with regard to notification (icons)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »
The color of the background is based on what kind of event it is: you discovering them, them speaking to you (not shown yet), them attacking you, you gaining linguistics skill with them, etc.  Their expressions change with that as well.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 04:23:09 pm »
The color of the background is based on what kind of event it is: you discovering them, them speaking to you (not shown yet), them attacking you, you gaining linguistics skill with them, etc.  Their expressions change with that as well.
Thanks for the head-up.
I am talking about stuff like the icons that can be seen in the attached screenshot.

Most of these look really "wrong" to me (aside from not really communicating the kind of information you mentioned to me tbh).
But that might be just me being picky again.

EDIT: After having a quick look at the actual assets: Is it possible that tech notifications are colored based on what you described as well? If so, this might be what is bogged here. I am fairly sure that I have seen the green chip from Techs_Dict.png being completely blue in-game for example.

OT: We really need some grace period between saucers appearing and starting to attack by the way. See here.

EDIT2: Enjoy your weekend, Chris :).
EDIT3: looking the patch notes: I have been ninja'd ;).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:57:50 pm by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:42:10 am »
Mantised here.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:21:08 pm »
Ack!  Thanks for that catch.  Some old code from TLF on hue shifting has carried over, looks like.  No wonder things are so wrong!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:26:25 pm »
My pleasure. Hope I haven't been too persistent with regard to this issue. But this really bugged me ;)...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:58:35 pm »
Not at all.  The hue shifting can lead to some incredibly ugly artifacting, and I'm really glad you noticed it!  Somehow I didn't, despite looking at these lots of times.  I just looked right through it, expecting it to be what I thought it should be, you know?

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:21:46 pm »
Exactly. I guess I just could not look past it, video and color being such a big part of my work life ;).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 02:24:30 pm »
Now you have me curious about what kind of work you do. :)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 02:29:10 pm »
Seems to be the day for it, doesn't it ;).
I am and have been working all my professional life (so roughly 15 years now) for a company dedicated to creating equipment and software for everything related to digital video: research, movie post production and most recently broadcast/television.

Although my focus is more on the various file and pixel formats as well as realtime video I/O, I have had my fair share of color processing and correction/grading when working on supporting various raw camera formats - enough to make these icons really hurt my professional sense of taste, I guess :P.

EDIT: Just in case you are curious.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:30:56 pm by nas1m »

Offline jerith

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:44:25 pm »
Although my focus is more on the various file and pixel formats as well as realtime video I/O, I have had my fair share of color processing and correction/grading when working on supporting various raw camera formats

So you probably know all about the PNG colour adjustment stuff that I discovered painfully when someone in a game jam (actually, three independent people in the same one) decided to use pixel values to indicate terrain type...

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »
Although my focus is more on the various file and pixel formats as well as realtime video I/O, I have had my fair share of color processing and correction/grading when working on supporting various raw camera formats

So you probably know all about the PNG colour adjustment stuff that I discovered painfully when someone in a game jam (actually, three independent people in the same one) decided to use pixel values to indicate terrain type...
Not fully to be honest -  much more work to do with regard to proprietary file formats devisedcreated by vendors.
But this does sound like such a bad idea that I can fully anticipate your pain ;D...

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 03:03:12 pm »

subtle advertising.EDIT: Just in case you are curious.subtle advertising
c.r

Offline jerith

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 03:06:49 pm »
Not fully to be honest -  much more work to do with regard to proprietary file formats devisedcreated by vendors.
But this does sound like such a bad idea that I can fully anticipate your pain ;D...

Not quite as bad an idea as using JPG, but still. Basically, PNG has three or four different mechanisms for defining how to mangle pixel values and the system is allowed to substitute its own if it wants. There isn't much visual difference most of the time (at least, not to my untrained eye) but the numbers you get from libpng or whatever vary depending on all sorts of things. Except on some systems. Sometimes.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 03:14:12 pm »

subtle advertising.EDIT: Just in case you are curious.subtle advertising
I don't think anybody here is interested in what we do, no.
So please relax. No advertisement intended ;).