Author Topic: First Impressions From An Orange  (Read 1017 times)

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
First Impressions From An Orange
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:44:50 am »
I played with Krolin for like 2 and a half hours.

- Victory conditions seem like a bit grinding.
- I am using 2 factories 1 bank, lots and lots of Hazmat Centers, but pollution is just not going down at all.
- The sub menu which has demolition in it has only 1 entry at the begining of the game. It was not that intuitive for me to grasp that you should seperately click the demolition button, until i have terraforming buildings in that menu.
- Thoraxians are the king. They have %100 atmospheric compatibility, and luckily I do share one of the three required atmospheric components. After realizing that, I transformed all my Fungi fields to spine fields. I hope all my enemies will choke down somehow. :)
- There are some missing buildings in the first submenu, and at the start clicking any of them gives an error.
- Zooming out is really performance killing. Generally I would like to watch things from afar in 4X games, but in that case I just tried to play zooming in.
- Some of the warning signs are not helpful. I still could not grasp what is the pink runningman symbol.
- I could not find where is the tech, linguistic, social policies menu. I just used them when they are presented.
- After you chose a policy, you cant change it even in same turn as it seems to me. Thankfully this is possible with tech menu.
- I dont quite understand how victory works. And I dont like crowdy places. I feel like I will be crushed down by Thoraxians some day, since they keep replicating their bases all over the world. So I am just trying to survive, and make the suitableness percentage %100.
- With no zoom out, I did not feel like I am sharing my world with others. Only Thoraxians and Neinzul. There is also a thing called Feyn or smt, but I could not decide whether they are an independent nation or like a vassal thing or just a unit name. This game could use something like territory borders. It needs it.
- Hazmat Areas did not seem like they are efficient to me. I will just wait after I am a bit farther away in the tech tree before start whining.

- There was a disease called Ooze. Using the third option to fight it, (spend money to save weaklings) was fairly useful. I also built a Trauma center in the process.

- Waiting until some policeman symbols is there to choose where to build police stations saves me from tons of work.

- i read some other threads and saw that there is also underground resources etc. Yeah I saw Sonar there, but being a Supreme commander player, I thought that was a military precaution building.

- All other races I saw so far has a uniform artstyle in their buildings. Except us. Skyscrapers near colossal ribcages? Does not seem that suitable, and together with nonexistence of borders, it actually decreases the representativeness of the images. I mean where is mine, where is theirs, where is no mans land is not that clear with this mixed artstyle.

- If I understood military aspect right, then it would be slowwww as hell. Thoraxians are spread through almost quarter of whole world. Assuming I may win,...that would take my years.

- I think it is a bit early for reporting this but still, when rogues attack me from the sea, I thought it was Thoraxians, so I attacked back them. A simple notification may be enough, but this is also a point for making who owns what more clearer is a must.

- When there is a wreckage, showing what was it before in a tooltip would be really useful.

This is my first beta testing, and I actually dont know what to tell mostly. Questions are welcome to make me say the things which are necessary to improve the experience.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:31:28 pm by tombik »

Offline donblas

• Newbie Mark III
Re: First Impressions From An Orange
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:02:32 am »
Some of the warning signs are not helpful. I still could not grasp what is the pink runningman symbol.
After you chose a policy, you cant change it even in same turn as it seems to me. Thankfully this is possible with tech menu.

I hit both of these myself. You should file them on the bug tracker (or I will this evening).

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:59:50 am »
- Minimap seems to me not working, I cant use it to choose where I want to view.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:12:42 pm »
personally I tend to build a lot of shopping malls rather than factory's personally they make more money and help fill out jobs which I can disable in times of need I also wouldn't worry about the thoraxians unless your going for a transcendence victory there actually the most docile out of the species.(won't attack you even if you go on the rampage in their)
c.r

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:19:34 pm »
Red/Pink Running man is crime or deaths by crime.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 12:30:30 pm »
Some of the warning signs are not helpful. I still could not grasp what is the pink runningman symbol.
After you chose a policy, you cant change it even in same turn as it seems to me. Thankfully this is possible with tech menu.

I hit both of these myself. You should file them on the bug tracker (or I will this evening).

I will wait for more feedback from Red shirts first. Maybe there is something I am missing, for example afterwards I have found where to use Social,Tech etc menu.

Red/Pink Running man is crime or deaths by crime.

Thank you for clarifying that. I guessed that, but what is the policeman sign then?

personally I tend to build a lot of shopping malls rather than factory's personally they make more money and help fill out jobs which I can disable in times of need I also wouldn't worry about the thoraxians unless your going for a transcendence victory there actually the most docile out of the species.(won't attack you even if you go on the rampage in their)

Thanks for advices but earning money from shopping mall does not seem so sensible to me. It is like consuming without producing...kinda weird if you ask me. Is it really the case? I also built some of them, but just for entertaining the citizens. I dont know for sure there is an entertainment factor though.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:34:10 pm by tombik »

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 12:41:00 pm »

Thanks for advices but earning money from shopping mall does not seem so sensible to me. It is like consuming without producing...kinda weird if you ask me. Is it really the case? I also built some of them, but just for entertaining the citizens. I dont know for sure there is an entertainment factor though.
[/quote]  manufacturing stat does nothing unless (I cant remember if you have enough races at the start in diplomacy to make trade agreements with)  your intent on doing consumer product deals I personally just tend to build factory's when I need them for a trade deal shopping malls are inexpensive and the crime isn't much of a problem really.(again for me)
c.r

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:21:20 pm »
Uhmm...

In my current game, I have NEGATIVE amount of wounded people.

So they are like superhumans or smt?

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:29:45 pm »
that's happened to me in my current game as well I think it might be a graphical bug.
c.r

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 08:35:46 pm »
-I had some error like Burlust built on natural resource, it was gone before I could understand what was going on.

- What is Alien Head Symbol?

- Why are some of buldings have red borders? May it be Thoraxian tunnels destroying them?

- Could not find sound "Missile Hit6"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:49:10 pm by tombik »