Author Topic: Automatisation  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
Automatisation
« on: June 16, 2015, 03:56:56 pm »
Macro-management. I like it. Having to do a hundred clicks per turn for the same thing over and over, not so much.
So, what are the odds that some things might be automated, somewhere along the line? I'm thinking of a certain few, specifically:

1) Auto-Reconstruct destroyed buildings with remaining crowns at turn's end
2) Auto-Attack enemies/rogues with remaining power at turn's end
3) Auto-place harvesters (etc.) on unclaimed resources with remaining crowns at turn's end

There's also some serious quality-of-life stuff I might suggest if there's a chance of it being implemented:
4) Cycle through unclaimed resources in range
5) Cycle through visible wonders
6) Cycle through visible enemies
7) Cycle through visible rogues

And a particular darling of mine:
8) The big red FIRE ZE MISSILES button. It would do the same as 2), but without having to end the turn. And with a big red button and a sound effect.

If those macro-management affairs could have some toggles, whether it's simple on/off or specific settings for different territories, that'd be grand, too.

Because when I play on a higher difficulty, during late game, or just when things generally get too big or too sour, I always find myself quitting the game because it's just so much of a hassle to maintain the status quo. Rebuild all the buildings, attack all the enemies, then scan the entire bloody map for anything I might have forgotten...blergh.

It just feels like herding cats. Or like hunting flies in the countryside in summertime. Acceptable in the short run; but if it keeps up for too long I give up.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Automatisation
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 04:37:28 pm »
Completely agree.

Also, some way of "highlighting" enemy buildings.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:53:31 pm »
same here as long as the automation is kept optional for people like me who enjoy handling little things like that themselves.
c.r

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:48:40 pm »
Sooo...Chris? Keith? Anyone?
A statement of the overall feasibility or desirability of this, please?  ???
until morale improves!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 01:40:02 am »
This is a good idea. Mantis it as a feature request.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 03:59:05 am »
I've already done that once, but it received no attention. So I'd like some sort of statement on it first.

If you think I should just go and make another mantis issue about this regardless, please say.
until morale improves!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 04:15:07 am »
I've already done that once, but it received no attention. So I'd like some sort of statement on it first.

If you think I should just go and make another mantis issue about this regardless, please say.

Ah, you missed it then.  Last post on the .894 thread, check it out.  Here is a taste of what you missed ;)

There's a thread on this general subject started by Shrugging Khan, and I really agree with it on reflection.  He wasn't the first to bring it up, and in the past I didn't agree with this sentiment because there was not such a clear delineation between counter-attacks and aggression and so forth.  Territories and incidents have changed all that, so a framework for that sort of player-sensible AI now makes sense.  Like having FRD mode on your ships on your planets in AI War, for instance: because of the delineation of having your own separate planet space, it makes sense.  In the context of something like an enemy's planet, that just doesn't work.  Anyway, long blob of text.

6. So really, in terms of major changes still coming, I would say:
a. Counter-attacks and the automation that entails.
b. More with the passive mobs.
c. All the stuff in trade and diplomacy is still slowly marching toward a good state.
d. The game start options.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 05:34:34 am »
Ah, so it's already being addressed. Good stuff!

Guess we'll just wait and see how it turns out, then pick the issue back up again to nag Chris about anything he didn't include yet?  ;D
until morale improves!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 05:40:40 am »
Ah, so it's already being addressed. Good stuff!

Guess we'll just wait and see how it turns out, then pick the issue back up again to nag Chris about anything he didn't include yet?  ;D

Rather be around to help iterate on how it gets implemented.  Though, I can't believe you didn't see the whole post on the release thread ;)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 07:29:58 am »
I don't read every single post on the board  :P

Well, I made a mantis issue. Let's bother some people!

Automatisation Options
until morale improves!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk