Author Topic: Are crowns too easy to come by?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Are crowns too easy to come by?
« on: May 12, 2015, 06:08:23 am »
This might be caused by my game settings, but for me having the crowns available to build whatever I want whenever I want never has been an issue.
Both of my games I have been playing the Krolin, with the general difficulty being set to Normal/Hard.

Simply plunking down a single Bank and Shopping Mall combined with some social progress upgrades later on always has been sufficient to provide all the income I could ever need - until diseases started to wreck my population that is.

Are you guys seeing the same?
Or am I just not ambitious enough in my building projects?
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Are crowns too easy to come by?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 07:56:13 am »
It's definitely on the too-generous side right now, but that hasn't been my chief concern yet.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:59:49 am »
It's definitely on the too-generous side right now, but that hasn't been my chief concern yet.
I see ;).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:41:31 am »
How big do your cities get if you just have 1 bank & 1 mall?
What turn are you getting to?
How are diseases destroying you?
How many CDC/Trauma Center/Small Hospital/Birthing Centers do you have?
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:43:50 am »
Wait, is it really that generous? O_o; Because in that case I play badly since I run out of money rather often xD

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 10:44:40 am »
It's something that's going to be tuned by difficulty for sure.  Different skill levels and different approaches to the game can lead to pretty wild swings in the amount for sure!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:07 am »
How big do your cities get if you just have 1 bank & 1 mall?
What turn are you getting to?
How are diseases destroying you?
How many CDC/Trauma Center/Small Hospital/Birthing Centers do you have?
  • Essentially I have as many banks and malls as I am allowed to build based on my population, usually.
    I was mainly referring to the fact that the two of them were fairly sufficient to sustain me in early game.
    My biggest population was roughly 2000, I think.
  • My first game should have ended around turn 170. My current game is roughly at turn 250.
  • Every time. See here.
  • In my book? Plenty. The game might think otherwise, though. Again see here.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:58:13 am by nas1m »

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 11:04:30 am »
I saw that when I was going through the threads. Do you mind posting a save if you still have one? The Ooze is also a toxin, so turning on Toxic Screening is also important in Fixing the problem. Also, you are going to need more graveyards.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:52 am »
Bear in mind a few things when it comes to crowns, which is one reason I have not yet made adjustments:

1. The AI races are going SUPER easy on you at the moment, because they don't have their full logic in yet.  So is the planet, when it comes to planet rage.  So when that kicks in more properly, you're going to need that money a lot more.

2. Diseases still being the main issue and wiping the floor with you is not intended.  Savegames on mantis where you are right at the point where a disease is about to mop you up would be _greatly_ appreciated.  I can then use that to repeatedly test what happens vs what I think should happen, and get the balance where I want it.  Without that sort of savegame, I'm shooting a lot more in the dark.  I've survived plenty of diseases in a generalized sense, so getting to see specific problem cases from the very start would be invaluable.

3. Similarly, specific cases of pollution being nuts is something that I'd want to take a look at.  I doubt it's a bug, but it may need either some balancing or some explaining.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 11:07:58 am »
I saw that when I was going through the threads. Do you mind posting a save if you still have one? The Ooze is also a toxin, so turning on Toxic Screening is also important in Fixing the problem. Also, you are going to need more graveyards.
Not using toxic screening might actually play into the issue. i did not realize it did apply to the Ooze and thus did not use it.
Will mantis a save and link it here once I am home.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 11:09:39 am »
2. Diseases still being the main issue and wiping the floor with you is not intended.  Savegames on mantis where you are right at the point where a disease is about to mop you up would be _greatly_ appreciated.  I can then use that to repeatedly test what happens vs what I think should happen, and get the balance where I want it.  Without that sort of savegame, I'm shooting a lot more in the dark.  I've survived plenty of diseases in a generalized sense, so getting to see specific problem cases from the very start would be invaluable.

3. Similarly, specific cases of pollution being nuts is something that I'd want to take a look at.  I doubt it's a bug, but it may need either some balancing or some explaining.
I will provide a save on both accounts later.
Still got some work to do ;).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 11:10:16 am »
Thanks!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 11:12:15 am »
Another note but on the same topic: I currently dislike how much population need for the crown producing buildings. This is getting ridiculous, with some buildings needing around 3000 citizens.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 11:14:03 am »
Another note but on the same topic: I currently dislike how much population need for the crown producing buildings. This is getting ridiculous, with some buildings needing around 3000 citizens.

Wait, what?  A savegame would be extremely valued here.  There is no non-wonder building with more than 300 required staffers defined in the game.  And even among wonders, it's only some of the space center buildings that require more than that.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 11:16:34 am »
I'm pretty sure he is talking about the population requirements to build a building, i.e., I need 3000 pop to build another Shopping Mall.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:21:13 am by ptarth »