Author Topic: What's this new Skyward Collapse board, you ask?  (Read 20204 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
What's this new Skyward Collapse board, you ask?
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:35:50 am »
Well, I was creating the Exodus of the Machine one, and this game is also something that we'll be talking more about imminently, so I wanted to go ahead and create the board despite the fact that I have literally nothing I'm ready to share yet except the name of the game.  Well, that and the fact that it's another strategy title, but a very different one from anything else I can think of. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Re: What's this new Skyward Collapse board, you ask?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:43 pm »
Nice forum icon. Is that the only hint we're getting?

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:20:42 pm »
Nice forum icon. Is that the only hint we're getting?

See

Quote from: x4000
I have literally nothing I'm ready to share yet except the name of the game.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:32:29 pm »
Apparently he didn't mind sharing the forum image.

And I know this guy, he can't resist giving out info.  But it's only the info he wants to give out, I'm told.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:35:22 pm »
Haha.  Yep, I tend to be busting at the seams to tell things, but it's never been stuff I'm sorry later for telling.  I weigh what I say carefully before saying it.

And yeah, the tiny image is a bit of an extra hint, but I needed something to go there, and at that scale it's not much of a hint. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:58:38 pm »
Right.

So, we're falling upwards?

Isn't that just the same thing as the sky falling onto us (from a certain point of view)?

But it's a collapse?

So we are falling to pieces into the sky.

Or something.

Looking forward to more from you guys, I'll be grabbing any info I can on this ASAP!

The question is can I wait patiently or will I have a Player Collapse?  8)

D.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 01:08:24 pm »
Right.

So, we're falling upwards?

Isn't that just the same thing as the sky falling onto us (from a certain point of view)?

But it's a collapse?

So we are falling to pieces into the sky.

Or something.

Looking forward to more from you guys, I'll be grabbing any info I can on this ASAP!

The question is can I wait patiently or will I have a Player Collapse?  8)

D.

Heh, maybe don't try taking the name QUITE so literally. :)

That said, I'm really excited about this game, and like Chris, I'm looking forward to when we can talk about it more.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 01:17:03 pm »
Can I play as Chicken Little?

Preferably with wing-mounted missile packs.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 01:24:32 pm »
To play as chicken little, you'll need to be well-stocked with swords and bacon.  No, wait, that's a different unit.  Did I just let something slip? ;)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »
To play as chicken little, you'll need to be well-stocked with swords and bacon.  No, wait, that's a different unit.  Did I just let something slip? ;)

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 01:37:39 pm »
If there's bacon in this game, I am in.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:20 pm »
I am now imagining a tetris game where the pieces go up, and you have soldiers on the pieces, and you have to like tactically fire off rockets to move the pieces so that soldiers can fight each other as they go up while all the way avoiding making a complete line that would delete your army.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 04:59:17 pm »
I am now imagining a tetris game where the pieces go up, and you have soldiers on the pieces, and you have to like tactically fire off rockets to move the pieces so that soldiers can fight each other as they go up while all the way avoiding making a complete line that would delete your army.

I really, really like this idea a lot!!!  :)

-Teal

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
That description reminds me of STACKER: http://db.tigsource.com/games/s-t-a-c-k-e-r

It got next to no attention, but I thought it was a touch of genius. You play a STALKER from the game STALKER (not typing all those periods). The tetris game is you maintaining your inventory, and its contents determine the outcome of your encounters with enemies, rabid dogs, radiation, and mental decay.

If you have a whole AK-47 in your inventory, it's a weapon you can use. Ditto with armor. If a dog shows up in your inventory, you get "bitten" every so often. You can also encounter artifacts (which affect your sanity) and bandits who toss grenades into the mix, which can explode and abuse your HP and damage inventory.

Clearing lines can get rid of junk and deadly stuff, but also damage your inventory. Death and mental disturbance cause your vision to flicker and warp.

It's not the most fun game in the world, especially if you go into it just expecting Tetris, but it is just slightly brilliant. It's also a slightly funny commentary on classic RPG inventory juggling.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 09:06:18 pm »
That's pretty funny!

Though I can go ahead and confirm that this is in no way a puzzle game in any form.  It's a turn-based strategy game meets god game meets simulation game.  Meets digital board game.  It does involve tile placement, but not in a puzzle sense.