Author Topic: Translations for Skyward Collapse  (Read 16087 times)

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Translations for Skyward Collapse
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:34:51 pm »
So, we've had several requests from folks willing to translate the game for us into their native languages. We're genuinely touched that so many folks are willing to make the game better and more accessible. Unfortunately, we're unable to provide any official support for this. The reason is simple... our games change too often, and sometimes in substantial ways. There's just no way we could provide the level of support we do if we also had to co-ordinate with translators and make sure they were aware of and fixing everything right along with us.

The other problem that we would have is that many of the text boxes and such are designed around the text they contain, so if the text in a different language is significantly longer, then that can look weird, or be yet another thing we'd have to change.

So, what if someone doesn't care about that and wants to translate the game anyway? Well, if the above doesn't scare you off, and you'd like to translate it anyway, this is possible. The way to do it would be to go to this file in your game directory: \Language\en\a_skyward.xml. In that file, you'll find all the English in-game text.

Your first step should be to back this file up, just in case.

Then, you'll see lines like this:

<ln id="AchievementType_Brokkr">Brokkr</ln>
<ln id="AchievementType_Brokkr_Desc">Place the Brokkr token.</ln>

You can change the parts I've highlighted in red to the language you are trying to translate to. Do NOT change the rest of the line, or the game will throw up errors.

Now, once you've made the changes you want (this will work even if you haven't yet translated everything), put that file into this directory: ...\Language\trans\a_skyward.xml

If you leave it in the first directory, it will get written over every time the game updates, and you will lose all your work.

Anyway, that should be about it, if you have questions, feel free to post them here. And, if you do end up translating the game, feel free to post the file here for others to use. But be warned, if we change the english version of the text after you translate it, the game will NOT reflect those changes, so you'd have to keep up the translating if you want to keep it accurate.

Offline solosol

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Translations for Skyward Collapse
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:44:30 am »
I'd like to collaborate in translating the game into spanish. But I have little-to-none experience in how to manage such a translation project. If other people are in the same situation like me (want to, but do not feel sure how to start) I suggest to allow the creation of a sub-thread for each translation project, so people can search, start or join the interested one, and discuss there a how to, post files for testing purposes etc., instead of having all mixed in the same thread. The general translations thread might be used to post the changes in the text with each update (lines changed, added...), or something to help with the future update translation, at least when devs check that there are projects working.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:00:31 am »
It does not appear to be any \Language\en\a_skyward.xml in the game directory. Perhaps you meant RuntimeData\Language\en\a_skyward.xml?

Offline solosol

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:36:29 am »
You are right
The file to translate is a_skyward.xml
it is in: ...(\Steam\SteamApps\common\)Skyward Collapse\RuntimeData\Language\en
*(...) for Steam users
Then you have to create a new folder called trans
 ...(\Steam\SteamApps\common)\Skyward Collapse\RuntimeData\Language\trans\

copy a_skyward.xml and paste  into \trans, and then you can edit with notepad+ or whatever

I've tried with the starting menu and it works :)
Be aware of special vowels (stress vowels like á did not work for me, probaly ä, à,â, and all that will not too, but it needs more testing) and sometimes with the lenght available too, as dev said, we will have to think in different solutions when little space available (or just not translate if too short)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:56:42 am by solosol »

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:12:11 pm »
Note also that not everyone has steam, so it's not always "Steam\SteamApps\common"

Offline Lord Fiddlemeister

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 05:35:58 am »
I'm going to give this a shot. Am I allowed to use this in my portfolio? Not sure if it might cause problems so might as well ask.

Offline solosol

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:36:04 am »
Note also that not everyone has steam, so it's not always "Steam\SteamApps\common"
I edit previous post, I just thinked in that many steam users don't know where are the installed games, thanks :)

@ Lord Fiddlemeister
Idk what do you mean. I just copied the file as said, and did some translations to test. And it works fine. And I'm editing directly in the translation file, so original is untouched.
The main problems I find are the "special" vowels and space available sometimes. Certain sidebar items have a short name form, so space is limited for translating that short name, the same issue in menus, and some achievements. some of them got long names in english, and appear in a single row, idk yet if they can use more rows or not when displaying longer translations...that only in a quick view but I think is perfectly possible to find suitable solutions for each situation

Offline Lord Fiddlemeister

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:03:16 am »
I...think you meant someone else. Not me :P

Edit: If you meant me, then I guess you misunderstood what I was asking. I was asking if I could translate this and add it to my portfolio. Say I want to work as a English-Dutch translator for a company and in order to get hired, I need to show some of my previous work. Would I be allowed to show the translated game? I have no idea if there are any legal issues with that, so I might as well ask.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:07:47 am by Lord Fiddlemeister »

Offline CC80

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 05:52:25 am »
Hi, i translate in german. But i have problems with umlauts... ä,ö,ü cannot be viewed in game.

Ohhh i nearly give up... i see with the update of yesterday, the original-file has been modified.

Pity! i have teanslate 70% of text ingame  :-X

Update. Please write innovations at the end of column!
I had search to long in column:<!-- Resources -->

Update2:after the update of yesterday, he ignored my translate file  :'(  that was my mistake...

Update3:Where can I find the text to translate of  Creation Cost etc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:17:45 pm by CC80 »

Offline CC80

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 12:44:30 pm »
How can I display umlauts?

Here is my translation in German.

Skyward Collapse german / deutsch
Version 1503 its not finished!!!

Offline Jukelo

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 01:54:05 pm »
Hey CC80,

I don't know if it's possible for Arcen games to fix your umlaut (and I guess eszett) problem, but as a general rule, whenever I need to translate stuff into german without the option to use ¨s or ß, a simple solution is to add an e at the end of the non-accented vowel. So ä would be ae, ö oe, ü ue. Eszett can be easily replaced with sz or just ss.

As for the problem with Arcen regularly updating their games and thus messing with translation efforts, you can use a text file comparison tool like this one to compare old files (preferably an untranslated backup) with their new versions. This makes it much easier to spot changes and know what needs to be reworked.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:56:19 pm by Jukelo »

Offline ZyeL

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 11:11:19 am »
Greetings, I join the request to translate the game in Spanish.

No solution for accent, the letter ñ and dieresis?

Saludos, me uno a la petición de traducir el juego en Español.

¿No hay solución para la acentuación, la letra ñ y la diéresis?

More information on the status of the translation here:

Más información sobre el estado de la traducción aquí:

·····
--  http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,15894.0.html  --
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:06:29 am by ZyeL »
[ Translating to Spanish Skyward Collapse ]

More information here:
·····
--  http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,15894.0.html  --

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk