Author Topic: Town specializations?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Town specializations?
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:00:12 am »
Regarding the 1.014 Patch notes: What are Town specializations and why have they been removed :)? Is this the ressource producer tile adjancency bonus idea that popped up in the forums some time ago? Hope it only got pushed back a patch then - to finally get *this* beast out of the door ;D...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:01:44 am by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Town specializations?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:36:44 am »
It's looking like this is indeed going to be a monster of an update even without whatever that specialization thing was.

I had a look at the notes for the upcoming patch just now, and.... yeah.  That's ALOT of stuff.  And all of it sounds excellent. 

I had been wondering what was taking so long for this update..... now I can see why! 

Quite looking forward to that update.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:53:36 am »
Yeah, I had just pushed the town specializations back a release, but now I'm figuring I might have time to get them in here once again.  Town specializations are very simple to explain:

1. All raw resource production amounts dropped by 50% on all raw resource producers.
2. By building multiple resource producers in a single town, each one increases by 50% of the new value.

Aka:
Old Woodcutter produced 2 logs per turn, period.
New Woodcutter produces 1 log per turn, when it's the only woodcutter in that town.
Two Woodcutters in a town produce 1.5 logs per turn each.
Three Woodcutters in a town are back to producing 2 logs per turn each (so at this point it's equivalent to the old way).
Four Woodcutters in a town now produce 2.5 logs per turn each (so now we have a substantial gain that actually equates to another free Woodcutter's worth of wood per turn).

And so on.  Given that there are 24 slots in a town, this sort of specialization can only go so far if you are trying to have military in each town.

THAT said, we are planning to make "large towns" a thing in the first expansion, and those would be 7x7 instead of 5x5.  So those would have 48 slots rather than 24 slots.  I do wonder if the specialization logic would be too abusable in those circumstances.  So there might need to be some sort of cap on the extra efficiency, say stopping at 6 or 8 Woodcutters in the example above.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:00:31 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, Chris!
Really looking forward to the next one :D!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline melkathi

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »
It will be interesting to see how this affects the severity of woes like paranoia or drought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk