Author Topic: The font!  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Olix

The font!
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »
Hi!

I just bought Skyward Collapse on steam. I love these sorts of games, but I haven't played it yet; I have to share my first impressions:

The font in game is so bad! Its really hard for me to read! Please give the option to make it larger, and to use a more traditional font.

My eyesight isn't the best, but usually I am fine with games. Please consider accessibility as well as beauty when doing graphic design.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: The font!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:35:06 pm »
Welcome to the forums :)  I think Chris is one to answer the direct question, but one thing:

Please consider accessibility as well as beauty when doing graphic design.
Please consider that we may have actually considered a particular issue when giving feedback ;)  Chris's font choice was made after much thought.  Inevitably, there will still be issues, and variable font type/size support is very difficult to achieve without having one or more of the options mess up alignment of GUI elements or chop off text, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 05:14:14 pm »
Welcome indeed!  Hope you enjoy the game. :)

In terms of accessibility, we actually made the font really huge in this game compared to any game we've ever done.  If you would like to make the font larger, then when playing fullscreen I suggest using a smaller screen resolution.  If you find the font hard to see at your current resolution, then you'll definitely find the icons and similar to be much too small to see clearly, too.

Cheers!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline pallenda

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 06:03:37 pm »
Since most monitors now are best at a native resolution I think will make the font bigger, but could make it jagged and not easy on the eyes to read.

I totally understand the reason for the font, style wise it also really fits the game. Choosing fonts is a science in itself. And I'm no expert. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk