Author Topic: Thanks! and interface ideas.  (Read 2805 times)

Offline topper

Thanks! and interface ideas.
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:02:34 pm »
I have been hearing great things about this game and finally gave in and got it to play before the steam summer sale.  ;)
Thanks for another great game! I played through the tutorial and now am enjoying a full game at Normal/Normal/Normal. The strategies seem very interesting and there are lots of different ways to play (and possibly win) which is exactly what I look for in a strategy game.

I have a few comments on things that I think would improve my personal ease of playing and enjoyment of the game. Please do not take any of this as criticism, they are just things that popped into my head as I was playing and I have not read any other threads to see if these ideas have already been discussed.

1. Could more keyboard shortcuts and controls be added? It seems like that could help with the game flow. Assigning a number to each category and then a key (or numbers again) to each item in a category would speed up my placement a lot. Also, mouse scrolling seems to not work inside of the menu of the last turn report and the enter key does not work to accept a save game name on my computer.

2. As I get more cities and units, it is getting harder to get a more global perspective on how the map is laid out. I know the filters already allow you to do some of this (just adding keyboard shortcuts would help, I did not see one)
Having a stronger visual distinction of red/blue/yellow town locations would really help to better understand how the global strategy is going. See the attached image for what I had in mind, which I think would be great if it was implemented with a keyboard toggle like the unit and building names currently are. I would probably leave it on at all times. The same could be done for units, instead of showing the names, they could be highlighted more strongly in their colors (maybe even with different shapes for melee/ranged/myth units like it is when you zoom out in AI WAr. In this way, a global view could be made of the entire battlefield at the tap of a button.

Thanks again for a great game and well worth my money at full price! (I must admit it was the first of your games that I bought when it was not on a sale)

edit: Note that I am still playing the official release so I do not know if any of this has already been changed. The upcoming 1.5 looks very exciting!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:06:18 pm by topper »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Thanks! and interface ideas.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:40:54 am »
To chime in real quick,  the thing with the borders is a great idea.   Now that I see it I'm surprised it wasnt in there already.

Sorry it took so long for you to get a response here, but the forum has been unusually quiet for the last week or so for whatever reason....

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:16:51 pm »
Thanks very much!

I think that actually makes a whole lot of sense, too.  I've added that in for the next beta version.

The keyboard shortcuts are a work in progress so to speak, and are something we do plan on adding more of later.

I've been really absent on the forums in the last week or so due to two unrelated deaths in the family that have pulled me away a lot.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:44:26 am »
Well, that rather sucks.  That's never a good thing to deal with.   Take all the time you need, us loyal forum-goers aint going anywhere.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:34:09 am »
Well, that rather sucks.  That's never a good thing to deal with.   Take all the time you need, us loyal forum-goers aint going anywhere.
Wholeheartedly seconded.
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:12:06 am »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline topper

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:34 am »
Thanks for the responses. That was a really fast implementation. :-)

You have my condolences as well. With the level of post-release support you guys give, we have nothing to complain about when you take a few days to remember your loved ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk