Author Topic: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.812  (Read 5132 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.812
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 07:50:25 am »
In terms of the list of broken ones, that's actually not that bad. Most should be quite quick to fix I imagine. It's usually one line of code slightly off there or whatever. Based on the descriptions, for about half of them I know just what I did wrong.  So not too bad!

Woes is definitely the word, but I'll make sure that its clearly understandable in the game. There are a ton of unusual words in this game anyhow. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 08:19:31 am »
Obviously the balance is going to be a little off with the broken god tokens at the moment.

However, it seems that gods coming out makes things way more easier to 'balance' than before (I'd expect things to get crazier in the later rounds not easier).

In my current game, I had about 5 towns on both sides with strong resource and army generation by the time the first round ended. The Greeks were pushing the Norse front a little bit, but when Ullr came out, he pretty much one shot their whole army (aside, it would be nice if tooltips showed how many attacks units get, I wasn't expecting that to happen at all). He's the ultimate defender!

Greeks had a little bandit annoyance (I'm playing normal difficulty, do bandits ramp up at all, they seem to trickle in kind of slow), but I was able to move Hera over to deal with it easily enough (god tokens make them very controllable).

I'm really hoping Woes mix things up a lot more.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 08:29:59 am »
Yeah, the woes are going to be really effing with you. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 08:38:18 am »
Yeah, the Gods' issues may need some adjustment - I'm not sure that multiple attacks per turn description of Hermes' and Poseidon's military tokens seem to confer much more attack power. At the same time, you don't want to just smite them like the time I suicided Heimdall by placing his sword on a barracks tile.

Yeah, the woes are going to be really effing with you. ;)

Excellent... "What woes thee?"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:41:45 am by zharmad »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 08:43:15 am »
Hmm, their tokens are not supposed to be placeable on buildings!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2013, 08:55:19 am »

Currently they are all placeable on buildings, indeed.   When I was messing with them there wasnt any of them that would refuse to drop on a building.

I'm curious though, what's the reason behind that particular restriction?   Is it so they cant just perfectly defend cities or something? 

Offline Winge

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2013, 09:36:50 am »

Just enemy buildings, or does that include allied buildings?  The game wouldn't let me place them on Lakes, Mountains, or Ruins, but it didn't have a problem with buildings.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Winge

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »
Well, with the bugs, I think we are dealing with "whoas" right now.  With that many schools, surely tuition costs will go down...

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 12:44:37 pm by Winge »
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline SRombauts

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 01:09:44 pm »
Hi all, just to point out a big bug referenced on Mantis by 5 people :
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=11471 : [God][Skadi]Norse can't make ranged units while skadi(God) is active

The irony of it is that Skadi should give you free archer, but in fact stop your archery from working.

This one is kind of a show stopper when you encounter it, but I'll take it as an intended Woe ;) !

Cheers!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »
Hello Chris, what is the current ETA for the public beta? Last time I heard it was start of this week, does it still hold or is a revised ETA available? Thanks!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 09:18:47 am »
So, the "total random" map type.... pretty fun.   Tried that out today, it really makes things interesting indeed.  Really have to shape strategies based on how the region is shaped and what tiles are where, and smiting and adding tiles yourself becomes more important.

Overall, things are really looking good here.... except for one thing:   http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=11477

The crime system... seems a bit of a mess.  On Hard, half of the game becomes JUST anti-crime stuffs (which mostly consists of finding ways to spam more basic military buildings and related production buildings) and building more cities to house resources to be used by the anti-crime stuffs (which themselves must still contain a blob of random military buildings to prevent the crime in the resource city).   The actual battles between units and all of that became.... trivial.     There was actually LESS strategy here as time went on.

The impression I get about the crime system is that it is there to encourage the player to make a decent amount of military buildings on each side, so that there's always a large-ish number of units (thus being more difficult to manage).  I have to wonder, though, if there arent better ways of doing this.   But also, it's just very.... monotonous.  The player has very little in the way of actual options, and even less in the way of real strategy, to specifically deal with crime.  Makes city-building less interesting also as it gets more and more out of control.

Definitely thinking that this needs some sort of change;  I was finding it really hurt the gameplay as a whole.   I dont know what to suggest here specifically, but.... one way or another, I really think it simply doesnt work.   I would much rather base my city designs on current plans/strategies, and also on reactions to the current situation, and stuff like that, rather than constantly fighting a simple arbitrary number that just wont stop rising.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 09:37:38 am »
Thanks for the notes on the bugs folks, I'm back at work after the Mother's Day weekend and will be

Hello Chris, what is the current ETA for the public beta? Last time I heard it was start of this week, does it still hold or is a revised ETA available? Thanks!

Actually, we're not going to be doing one.  I realized that we hadn't posted on this in depth before, so here it is: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,12850.msg146905.html#msg146905

But there is a second round of private alpha that you can potentially get in on if you want!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2013, 02:33:03 pm »
Actually, we're not going to be doing one.  I realized that we hadn't posted on this in depth before, so here it is: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,12850.msg146905.html#msg146905
But there is a second round of private alpha that you can potentially get in on if you want!
Thank you for the extended reply (in the other thread). I'm happy to wait for the release =) I got into Shattered Haven alpha and was not able to contribute, so I decided to sit out this one =)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 02:43:22 pm »
No worries, and my pleasure. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk