Author Topic: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.808  (Read 4163 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.808
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »
New one!  http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Skyward_Collapse_-_Pre-Beta_Release_Notes#Alpha_0.808

And no your connection is not slow when you start downloading it and it takes forever.  This one is 53MB thanks to the remaining soundtrack being in there.  Holy crap Pablo outdid himself, I think.

This one has a bunch of new god tokens, although not *all* of them yet.  Still 32 or 33 to go, sigh.  I was going to get all of them done today, and could have, but there were so many other bugs and nits and things that took me away from that.  I'm not complaining, and the game is way better now, but there you go.  At least some solid progress was made on all fronts, so that's something.

Cataclysms I've decided to call Woes instead, by the way.  Woe is just funnier, for one thing, but it's also actually something I can type reliably. ;)  "Woe incoming in 10 turns!" is just hilarious to me, and right in keeping with the tone of the game. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.808
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:18 pm »
The rest of the soundtrack? AWESOME, as much as I love acoustic guitar (and I do, that track is awesome) I was another five minutes of that same song on repeat away from being driven into a mad rage.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:27:20 pm »
Pablo always shows up with the awesome stuff :)

And about the bugs..... yeah... red text must be squashed :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:28:33 pm »
Looking forward to hearing the tracks. The Shattered Haven soundtrack was pretty great. Certain specific tracks were tremendous. Good job.

Offline Winge

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:30:20 pm »
Man, I can't even play one round (not game...ROUND) without you patching  :o

I did notice the Military Command and Mythological Tokens seemed to be lasting twice as many turns as intended.  I will try to reproduce in the newest version.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:31:29 pm »
That should be fixed with 808 Winge (the tokens not the updates).
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 09:37:02 pm »
Small question, is there any difference between the 1 through 4 in each difficulty, or is it just an artifact of when those used to be different edicts?

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 09:42:22 pm »
Bad news... have to reopen one of those fatal error reports.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:18:51 pm »
Small question, is there any difference between the 1 through 4 in each difficulty, or is it just an artifact of when those used to be different edicts?

When the different woes are in, yeah, not edicts.  But there are no differences between the 1-4 versions yet.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:55 pm »
Man, I can't even play one round (not game...ROUND) without you patching  :o

Haha, same thing here pretty much.

Havent finished a full game completely yet, and then BAM..... here's more stuff!

And I'm kinda playing it a ton here, too.

Also, god tokens:   It seems like there's *alot* of these.   I still havent really had the chance to mess with them much yet, argh.   Which is annoying since they're clearly important to be using, or that's the impression I've gotten anyway.

And yes, "woe" instead of "cataclysm" is funnier.   I kind of read it as:  "Sad times incoming in 10 turns!"

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 10:34:15 pm »
Yep, there are 48 god tokens in all, and I've only implemented not even half of them.  But I hope to get the remaining half tomorrow.  A lot of the crash bugs are coming from me having to tear at things to add these, so I'm in a hurry to get these done partly so that the code can settle down.  Even the woes will be more event-driven rather than status-update-on-unit driven, which is where most of the crashes have come from.  There's just a lot of code going in there each day, so a few slips are inevitable.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 10:40:07 pm »
Blame it on me :)  I keep breaking the game  >D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 11:00:54 pm »
Well, 0.809 is now out with one potential fix and one minor clarity thing.  I'm off for tonight, but hopefully that either addresses the (rare) crash, or at least gives us real stack traces for them.

Side note: if you run into a crash, you can always save, stop the game, and continue.  It shouldn't mess up anything substantial... probably. ;)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »
And probably bites you in the butt?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:33 pm »
Haha.  Generally I actually can't think of too many cases where it would be completely busted, at least not based on the kinds of errors we've been seeing here lately.  There will always be exceptions, so I wouldn't exactly recommend saving over your last savegame.  But it is definitely safe to at least try resuming it after a game restart, and if all seems well it probably is.  There's a lot of self-correction code in there at this point.  So some unit might have disappeared or missed an attack or whatever, but that's likely the extent of it.  Except for the exceptions. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk