Author Topic: Siege units - what are they good for?  (Read 4404 times)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Siege units - what are they good for?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 08:58:32 pm »
Cool on the siege units being fixed up!

Yeah, I figured that the Majesty system wouldn't really be in line with the theme, and was likely too much to put in at this point anyways.  It's still an awesome system, I used to really love that game :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 09:16:48 pm »
We thought about the Majesty system, but decided against it as it really doesn't fit with the theme here.  Besides, everybody would just go "oh that's the majesty system."  What is being discussed here really has nothing to do with not being able to nudge the AI in the right direction, it is related to the siege units not filling their role properly in general.   So....

* All of the siege units now have 4x more health than before.

* All of the siege units are now ABLE to damage regular units, but should show no interest in doing so.  They were getting way too distracted with regular fighters around rather than going to enemy towns to bring some pain.

Thanks!

Not a bad change, I think.

Though, this DOES bring up one other question:  How does one STOP them?   With that much health, and all.   I get the image of a group of siege units successfully taking out a city, right, but then they need to be stopped, and normal units arent going to really be over there.... I'd have to Commandment the entire enemy army over EVERY TIME, probably?   I think?  Not to mention the problem of then stopping the siege building from making MORE of them....  hmmm...

Though, again, that's provided the player can get them where they need to go.  Even if they arent getting distracted by units they shouldnt, like building-smashers attacking cavalry (yay to THAT finally being stopped, heh), getting them to go where they're actually useful is..... well, yeah, I really just dont know how to do it.  It's the main thing that's kept me not using siege units much;  other units dont always need to be in specific regions, because they're often "front line" troops as well.   The siege ones seem the exception, they're best at going to certain spots and wrecking things, but right now the only way to do that is "make lots of them, hope they do what you want based on RNG's whims".  Though making lots of them seems suicide, because then you've got this unstoppable blob of doom running around smashing everything up, instead of the one or two cities that needed it....

Granted, there may be something I'm missing here, in terms of getting them to the places I want them, that's totally possible.   Wouldnt surprise me if I'm missing some bloody obvious tactic to pull this off, which I probably am.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:46 pm »
How do you stop them? Don't build Sieges in the first place  ;D

There are plenty of units with bonuses to sieges, build those.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk