Author Topic: Question about on-demand mechanic  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Elijah

• Newbie Mark III
Question about on-demand mechanic
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:32 am »
I would like to start build towers to protect the capital of the norse (being their troops sucks)

So I manage to get a nice amount of rocks, but the Mason won't convert them in cutstones.

Is there a way to tell him "Produce cutstones, I have to build towers!"
How can I make him produce cutstones?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Question about on-demand mechanic
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:08 am »
I would like to start build towers to protect the capital of the norse (being their troops sucks)

So I manage to get a nice amount of rocks, but the Mason won't convert them in cutstones.

Is there a way to tell him "Produce cutstones, I have to build towers!"
How can I make him produce cutstones?

This particular mechanic, I think, needs to be explained a bit better.

I'm going to copy-paste the explanation for this that I gave over at the Steam forums:

The cut-stone value isnt like, stone that's ALREADY been converted to cut-stone. It simply shows how much is AVAILABLE. With 22 stone, you CAN make 7 cut-stone, but it wont actually happen until some unit or effect needs it. It doesnt mean "Ok, you have 22 stone, and then you ALSO have 7 cut-stone over here that I already prepared for you", it's more like "Ok, you have 22 stone, so you have 7 potential cut-stone".

So in your situation, you need to first make sure you have a Stone Mason somewhere;  if you already have one, then all you need is more actual rock.  Get some more of that, and you'll have your cut stone.

Hope that helps.   But yeah, it needs to be cleared up in the tutorial.   It's a good mechanic but confusing to new players.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:15:40 am by Misery »

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:32:33 am »
Yeah, lot's of people don't seem to be getting this on-demand mechanic. It's quite simple when it clicks, but getting to that point seems to be a little tricky.

Offline Elijah

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:34:27 am »
Aaaaaah! Now it makes much more sense! Nice, I didn't know that.

BTW : I think I just got into a bug. I have 26rocks, but can produce 9stones. I think it's a bug that it consider 26rocks 9stones, it should be 8.

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:36:47 am »
So is there any benefit to having more than one stone mason?

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:38:44 am »

None. Although you may often find yourself having to build a new one if the old one gets destroyed.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:42:02 am »

The benefit is to ensure you can still place buildings that require it if one of them is destroyed. :)

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:46:19 am »

The benefit is to ensure you can still place buildings that require it if one of them is destroyed. :)
Gotcha.  I was putting a mason in every town to make more cut stone, but what I really needed was more quarries.  So making another mason is just a backup, because you're kind of screwed if your only one gets blown up.

Offline Breach

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:49:41 am »
Hello everyone!
I agree with this topic in general, the concept of on-demand resources is simple once you understand it. It's getting to that point that's the issue, which is why I made a lengthy (and probably too confusing) thread on the Steam forums trying to explain it: http://steamcommunity.com/app/238890/discussions/0/810925398562409921/. It's perhaps one of the most important things that new players can get frustrated by.

Aaaaaah! Now it makes much more sense! Nice, I didn't know that.

BTW : I think I just got into a bug. I have 26rocks, but can produce 9stones. I think it's a bug that it consider 26rocks 9stones, it should be 8.

Regarding your bug Elijah, I don't think technically it's a bug, rather just the rounding behaviour that the game uses for the resources display. If you hovered over a build that required stones, the tooltip would say that 8.67 stones were available, since 26 divided by 3 equals 8.6667. However, the resources display on the RHS rounds up or down I think, so it may be misleading sometimes.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 06:50:57 pm »
So in any given game, is it right that all you ever need is ONE advanced resource producer?  Not one per town but one per faction?  There are no bonuses to having more than one, is that right? 

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 07:01:59 pm »
Not exactly.

Military buildings require goods to be available on hand to produce units.
So you need required advanced resource producers in same town as them so they can produce the units.

For stuff like plopping down buildings one advanced resource producer is enough.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:26:36 pm »
Ok so one advanced resource producer per town, not per faction. 

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:23 pm »
Well, there's one issue I found. The pottery only needs one potter in the entire faction. For some reason I could make things that required pottery in a town that didn't yet have a potter.

Offline Winge

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 08:42:28 pm »
Well, there's one issue I found. The pottery only needs one potter in the entire faction. For some reason I could make things that required pottery in a town that didn't yet have a potter.

That's is how it is supposed to work.

Think of it this way:  the Potter is supplying Pottery to that town, but also to you, the Creator.  Since you have access to the entire map, you can place structures/units that require pottery anywhere.  However, the factions do not have the luxury of omnipresence.  They can only use finished goods to build units within their towns, hence they need a Butcher in every town the want Bacon, etc.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:15 pm »
Oh, no kidding?
So if you needed to place something for a town that cost bacon, you could do so even if that town didn't cost a butcher? It's the fact that the particular town itself is spending the bacon directly on things within that town.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk