Author Topic: Player feedback request: Crime removal.  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Player feedback request: Crime removal.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 07:41:03 pm »
Okay, let's take a step back here:

1. Opinion is pretty divided.
2. At best, anything suggested (including my thing and all the others) is going to be a @#%#$ to balance, and possibly/probably still divisive.
3. Time is finite.
4. There are other things (woes, etc) that everyone is more excited for.
5. Therefore crime should be removed and nothing put back in its place (woes and bandits kind of fill that niche anyhow).

Thoughts?

I would suggest 'beefing up' crime to a more substantial point to make it effective in the early turns and tweak it as best you can for now. Yanking systems only makes the game more simplistic and reduces the number of interesting interactions in the game, which while perhaps not perfect, is better than a simple game.

I would prefer to keep as many 'systems' in the game to keep the gameplay and mechanics varied as much as possible.

just mho
-Teal

Normally, I would agree with this.

But I think part of the problem with the crime system.... and Chris can correct me if I'm wrong here.... is that it was designed around a different idea of what the game would be, in terms of what systems would be active.  The "woes" idea, for instance, had not been thought up.   Crime made sense WITHOUT that... to push the player to build more cities and such, and give them more reason to have more military units.   But.... with the woes thing in place, that actually ends up being kinda redundant.   Particularly since you STILL have the threat of bandits at all times, even with the woes, so.... if the woes are as "big" as I'm thinking they're going to be, removing crime wont actually lower the compexity of the game.   Rather, it'll remove something that simply doesnt fit the current (and better) design.

So yeah, I'd say for now.... just take it out.   The bandit spawning?  I *do* like the idea of having more concentrated areas that they might appear in.... but that can be added by the woes even as well.  Like the idea of bandit "camps" appearing throughout the map as one of those, or something.   I've a feeling we'll still be seeing plenty of bandits, heh.  So while it COULD be enhanced, it's also fine to just leave it as be.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Player feedback request: Crime removal.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »
Right -- I think that the woes concept is robust enough that it can encompass a lot of smaller concepts all in itself, in a more streamlined and interesting way.  Also something more visible to the interface.

Not to say that something else might not expand further later, but I think such an expansion would need to be the result of a lot of careful study and not something slapdash, really.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk