Author Topic: Idea: random missions  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
Idea: random missions
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:28:04 pm »
The thing that I would really like to have in the game, at least once in a while, is the joy of letting your powerful units rip into the enemy (one of them at least). Currently, you're constantly playing the role of the grown-up, which is unique, but also lacks a certain... Joie de vivre?

Here's the idea: every once in a while, you get a random mission/bet from some god. "I bet you can't destroy 4 Norse giants in 10 turns!", "destroy the Greek city of X in 15 turns", "wipe out Norse civilization (after which I'll give you a free Norse city center) within 20 turns!". These missions could either be optional or mandatory, and they would give you a hefty score reward for completing them, and possibly a penalty for not doing so. Rather than just woes creating the imbalance (and having all the fun) you would be the one doing so.

Whaddaya think?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Idea: random missions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:31:33 pm »
Yeah, this was more or less the idea behind "propositions" in the mid-alpha game design, and it was something I was really fond of.  The challenge is making these both interesting and not overcomplicating the game.  How do you communicate all the extra current goals to the player through the interface, etc?  I liked the idea in particular of making these "do you accept or decline this," and there are bonuses for accepting and possibly penalties for rejecting.

It's something that I would like to do at some point, but it seems to be to be expansion-level material.  Mainly because to do it right it will need a fair bit of new art I think (having specific new things to do for the missions seems more interesting to me), and because it will take a lot of balancing, and because it increases the complexity level of the game a fair deal.  Anyone interested in an expansion probably wants more complexity, so that would make sense and fit there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »
How about a mini-version of this idea? The end goal is unknown until you reach the last turn. At that point, the Master reveals his true intent for the world. He could give you the task of eliminating one of the sides, destroying a huge number of spawned bandits/monsters or even destroying both sides. It's like a cathartic release. Since there would be no other goals at this point, it wouldn't be hard to convey the goal.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:32:33 pm »
The last turn?  In one turn, I imagine you couldn't do any of those things...
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline solosol

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:54:07 am »
What if these "secondary missions" randomly triggered sometimes when units are exploring ruins? Things like finding a monster in the depths, a special bonus/malus, maybe resources too, things like that, wich add flavour but not complicating too much the game (at least, in easier difficulties)

Offline Admiral Tolwin

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:43:48 am »
I like the Idea of Missions.

To Add some more Ideas :

- Aphrodite want a growing world so u have to reach a worldpopulation of X in X turns, otherwise the Bandits will be growing ^^
 - Thor want made a Party and need some Pigs in x turns, u should have it, otherwise Thor make his Party in your Town
 - Ares is bored a little so he throw in a holy Spear to your World, the 1st unit reaching the Spear is blessed and have to survive x turns while fighting the enemy, entertain Ares or he entertain you!

The Missions could be a way to add a lot of flavour to the game, and should have some sort of a ministory.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk