Author Topic: I know it is too late to say this  (Read 2311 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
I know it is too late to say this
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:54:29 am »
But I hate the concept of having to level up, and would much rather it followed AI War's approach of "simple, intermidate, advanced" complexity.

Seeing options that I need, right now, but cannot only due to it is frustrating, and not fun.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: I know it is too late to say this
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:49 am »
Yep, I know some people feel that way, and that's why we made both the requirements and the gains from leveling up milder than they could have been.  A lot of other folks love this sort of thing though, and have actually been bugging us to add something like it to AI War since 2009 (off and on).  I always said no, but here we thought it would be fun to do in a limited sense.

But yeah, as with anything, we knew not everyone would agree.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:58:11 am »
I concur, and I know I've mentioned that before.

After all, successfully winning a game takes quite a long time.

The type of gating is appropriate to some games, but I don't think it's really fitting here. I know the danger is that some players might start with everyone, and get bored after only 1-2 games, but if they are bored that fast from the gameplay, I don't think having to grind out to see everything is going to give them sunny thoughts.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:01:26 am »
And that's why those extra things are all optional and not required to the core fun of the experience.

Specifically:
1. They add extra complexity, and that's something that is mainly needed only for people who already are great at the game.
2. They add extra variety, which you don't really need until you've played a while anyhow.

Though that raises a point... I think that some of the mythological tokens might be requiring ale or similar, and that's totally incorrect if so.  That goes against the spirit of the above two statements.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:01:34 am »
Alternative idea:

A cheat code!

If you type in a certain phrase, everything is unlocked for your profile, for those who do not like the idea. Since they have to type in the code themselves, they already know exactly what they are getting.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:02:37 am »
Alternative idea:

A cheat code!

If you type in a certain phrase, everything is unlocked for your profile, for those who do not like the idea. Since they have to type in the code themselves, they already know exactly what they are getting.

Yup, that sounds like a good plan to me.  Will implement today. :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:38 am »
Alternative idea:

A cheat code!

That'd be super.  I've negative patience for stuff like unlocking things.   And getting that profile up really does take awhile....

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:09:07 am »
* Added a cheat code for unlocking the maximum profile level (for those who are impatient):
** Just enter this into the chat box: "cmd:i_am_the_mighty_one" minus the quotes.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:10:47 am »

And there was much rejoicing!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 09:14:42 am »
Also:

* None of the mythological creatures or tokens on the sidebar require must-be-unlocked goods anymore:
** Minotaurs no longer require ale.
** Centaurs no longer require water flasks.
** Valkyries no longer require venison.
** Trolls no longer require ale.

Wow I had never intended for any of them to have those requirements, and must have missed when those were added in.  I've been playing on max profile difficulty and so just looked right past it without thinking about it.  Anyway, yeah, that was super restricting in early games, which was not a good thing.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:36:38 am »
Chris...you...

I didn't even mention it directly, but what I wanted when I started this was access to all the mythological creatures.

Simply amazing. I get to have my pie and eat it too.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 09:38:48 am »
My pleasure. :)

When you mentioned "seeing options but not being able to use them," I realized immediately what was up.  That was never intended to be something that was the case, and I 100% agreed with you that was a problem.

Anyhow, cheers!

Offline Greywolf22

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:19 am »
Good news! Now just anxiously awaiting the GA release today to get all the last bits in.

Been a great ride, excited that it's time to share it with the general public and let everyone release their inner god or goddess  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk