Author Topic: How Many Players Would Like To See A Return Of Civilian Units and Buildings?  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
Please show your support of re-introducing the civilian side back into the game. Certainly the devs could think up some very interesting uses and additional units and building types as well as woes and myths and all the rest, that could add new ways to win the game, new play styles and new units and mythologicals and gods and woes.

Please take a moment to show if you support this idea or not.
Thank you!

-Teal

Offline FooBarTheLittle

• Newbie Mark II
  • while ( !asleep ) sheep++;
*thumbs up*

Sounds much like, what one could find a DLC ^^

More complexity for gods' sake!!

Offline Winge

I wouldn't want them to return as they were--building that many civilians got rather old.  I never really liked Chapmen, although I never had a problem with Traders.  If civilians returned, I would rather see them take on a new role.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
I wouldn't want them to return as they were--building that many civilians got rather old.  I never really liked Chapmen, although I never had a problem with Traders.  If civilians returned, I would rather see them take on a new role.

What role would you suggest?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Just as an FYI, civilian buildings are one of the main features of the first expansion, which is already in the works. Civilian units are unlikely to make a return, as watching them was indeed dull.

Stay tuned. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
@X4000,
                 Thank you for the heads up on the expansion pack coming!  :)  I'm glad civilian buildings are returning, though i am a little concerned that with no civilians, or other modes to play, such as a diplomatic, or trade win, or a expand town into city win that it will be a straight battle-fest.

Of course that is what may be most popular and most able to generate more players coming to the game, so i can hardly complain. Its just that i was hoping for something revolving around more than just battle, that's all.

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
I didn't say there wouldn't be alternate ways to win -- I just said there wouldn't by physical human civilians wandering around, because watching them is boring.  Much as in SimCity 4 you never see your citizens moving around in a way you have to watch.  (Yes you CAN zoom in and see cars moving in that game, but the cars are just a graphical representer of traffic congestion, so even that doesn't count in my book).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
I liked watching the civilians in the old Caesar games.

So it *can* be done well. :)

(Not saying they should be back in this game.)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
I liked watching the civilians in the old Caesar games.

So it *can* be done well. :)

Oh, me too!  I thought that was fun in Pharaoh, too.  And I like watching engineers and so on in AI War.  And I like the idea of being able to watch specific sims in the new SimCity even if their implementation was... [self edit].

The key difference, of course, being that these systems are all realtime and optional.  So you can watch them when you want, watch many at once, and ignore them most of the time.

With SimCity 4 as my example, I was more trying to express that seeing human units actually isn't needed to do a robust citybuilding simulation.

(Not saying they should be back in this game.)

Whew. ;)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
@X4000,
                        Sorry if i sounded whiney, sometimes i sound that way, even when i don't mean too. Anyway, you all are doing great and i appreciate finding out about the expansion, that is great and cool news!  Anyway, sorry if i sounded like a pain. Looking forward to the expansion.  :)

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
No worries at all, my aim is simply to be clear. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk