Author Topic: Developers requesting feedback: near-term changes to mountsains & mythologicals  (Read 11985 times)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
You could probably do alot of interesting things with this idea;  not just with the myth units, but with other stuff, and it might open up even more once you guys get to the point of doing add-ons and such.   It might indeed solve the problem of players using JUST myth units without any normal army nearby.

Can you expand on this at all? If I could envisage how this would open up and become extensible then I'd be **much** more in favour of the idea. Woes, for example, I can pretty easily see how this would play a part in expansions. This idea, not so much. I suppose harvesting 100 souls could allow you to place a Gorgon or something, but then what's the point of the current resource requirements... At the moment, the only clear positives I see are:

a) It solves that mytho cheese problem.
b) Harvesting souls sounds cool, man!

One way or another you're GOING to run into a point, probably sooner rather than later, where the complexity is going to go up no matter what.   Particularly as you get into expansions, or bonus DLC, or whatever.

Absolutely. I just don't want to see complexity ramp up without a significant pay-off.

The trick isnt so much keeping complexity away.... the trick is just making sure that your mechanics make sense (which for the most part they currently do) and are explained well by the game.  If you do this, and also explain them well in your patch notes, and if player questions continue to be promptly answered as so far they have been, then I dont think you'll have any issues.   And in the end, the game will be better for it.

I'm not convinced that this particular idea is going to add any significant worth or fun-factor to the game. Anything added to the game without enhancing the experience significantly is just going to be increase clutter and complexity, and the game won't be better for it.

Here's a clearer question: is this change going to add anything besides a mytho anti-cheese mechanism? Personally I already use my human military. I've never had a game where I've chosen to not build human units. I also haven' really seen a bit big outcry of people saying human units are pointless, I never use them. There was that one edge case as far as I can see.

Is it that wrong for a player to employ a more mytho-oriented game-style? With this change are you forcing the player to play a more human-oriented game? If so, is that necessarily a good thing?

Having said all that, I'm not completely against the idea. Hey, even if it gets added and it doesn't add much and just increases complexity a little it's not going to break the game or anything. I just can't say that it sounds amazing, though, and that it should definitely go in.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
I'm not sure that with steam integration as it is today we even HAVE the beta patches for the latest titles. Do we?
Arcen's games generally update from inside the game, so that's no issue. Whenever there's a new public release, they upload it to Steam, and Steam will autoupdate the game.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
You could probably do alot of interesting things with this idea;  not just with the myth units, but with other stuff, and it might open up even more once you guys get to the point of doing add-ons and such.   It might indeed solve the problem of players using JUST myth units without any normal army nearby.

Can you expand on this at all? If I could envisage how this would open up and become extensible then I'd be **much** more in favour of the idea. Woes, for example, I can pretty easily see how this would play a part in expansions. This idea, not so much. I suppose harvesting 100 souls could allow you to place a Gorgon or something, but then what's the point of the current resource requirements... At the moment, the only clear positives I see are:

a) It solves that mytho cheese problem.
b) Harvesting souls sounds cool, man!

One way or another you're GOING to run into a point, probably sooner rather than later, where the complexity is going to go up no matter what.   Particularly as you get into expansions, or bonus DLC, or whatever.

Absolutely. I just don't want to see complexity ramp up without a significant pay-off.

The trick isnt so much keeping complexity away.... the trick is just making sure that your mechanics make sense (which for the most part they currently do) and are explained well by the game.  If you do this, and also explain them well in your patch notes, and if player questions continue to be promptly answered as so far they have been, then I dont think you'll have any issues.   And in the end, the game will be better for it.

I'm not convinced that this particular idea is going to add any significant worth or fun-factor to the game. Anything added to the game without enhancing the experience significantly is just going to be increase clutter and complexity, and the game won't be better for it.

Here's a clearer question: is this change going to add anything besides a mytho anti-cheese mechanism? Personally I already use my human military. I've never had a game where I've chosen to not build human units. I also haven' really seen a bit big outcry of people saying human units are pointless, I never use them. There was that one edge case as far as I can see.

Is it that wrong for a player to employ a more mytho-oriented game-style? With this change are you forcing the player to play a more human-oriented game? If so, is that necessarily a good thing?

Having said all that, I'm not completely against the idea. Hey, even if it gets added and it doesn't add much and just increases complexity a little it's not going to break the game or anything. I just can't say that it sounds amazing, though, and that it should definitely go in.

I dont think it's the sort of thing that's supposed to sound completely amazing;  it's moreso a mechanic to make things run smoother, at least in the described implementation.   That's the impression I got from what Chris said about it.

You yourself may use the human units alot.... but it's sounding like there are a good number of players that dont, and even in my experiences I've found that often, myth units really are too easy to use.  It simply doesnt take long to get them, and the further into the game you go, the easier they are to get.   I can understand why other players may end up using JUST those and nothing else.   And this greatly reduces the chaos level, which in this game is a big problem.   Essentially, a player doing this.... and it's not hard to do.... doesnt even really have to use the human units for anything.  They dont even need to keep up production of them at all!  You could essentially have ZERO units, just constantly building up the things necessary to get myth types, and then when a problem, be it woes or bandits, DOES strike, you've got all of this instant-use power built up, yet with zero cost to it, as you wont have had to go through any real chaos to get it (when you have JUST myth units, they're actually pretty easy to keep under control).  Instead, you'll have gotten it via tranquility, which is totally backwards.

So the idea is twofold:

1. Make myth units a bit harder to use without making any of the already existing resources more annoying to get.   Because being able to drop these guys wherever they're needed is important, but being able to do it over and over again whenever the heck you need them without any real cost suggests that something isnt right.   And there definitely isnt any real cost once the game hits a certain point due to the constant resource bloating.... particularly if the player actually concentrates heavily on certain resources, like doing a city that's almost entirely seers or something like that. 

2. It's an incentive to use other units than just them, and even better, an incentive to cause greater chaos with those units.    Heck, it might even cause some differing use of the myth units;  if you  realize you're going to need some extra myth units soon for a woe or something, you might do something like getting a big group of enemy human units together, and then dropping a myth unit into the middle of them;  essentially risking the cost of the myth unit on the possibility that it'll get a bunch of kills before it goes down, in exchange for even more soul energy than you'd had before.... if it works!   And greater chaos caused by human units may give players more reason to drop myth units among them, adding to the battle, instead of JUST using them on "seperate" threats that arent connected to the main fighting, or just fighting against other myth units.

And if the player for whatever reason needs a bunch of those guys really fast.... they'll have to pump up the basic military production dramatically, creating even greater chaos, and even greater risk.   And this part makes sense to me.... that there should be risk involved in gaining the power necessary to use the myth units, considering how strong and versatile they are.   Currently, there is absolutely zero risk in gaining the things that you need to use them.   And on top of that, they currently dont offer enough risk once they're actually used.... due to resources for them being so easy to get (and simply increasing costs wont stop that), you can be sure that the other side will likely be able to drop a myth unit as well to control any that end up doing something unexpected, as opposed to using any human units or other means to try to handle them.    And that again goes against the general theme of the game, that there's no risk in using such a strong thing, AND not much in the way of difficult decision-making with them right now.

Not to mention that a pure-myth tactic has problems of it's own, and is unbalanced in exactly the wrong way.   One of the core ideas of the game is the unpredictableness of your armies, right?  Well, *alot* of that evaporates completely when you use armies that are JUST myth units.   With the human units, part of the idea is that you really just dont have direct control over these guys.  You cant directly control how often they spawn, and you cant directly control exactly where they go once they charge out into the field.   But with myth units, you have control of BOTH of these things.   You decide exactly when they spawn, you decide exactly WHERE they spawn.   And you decide the exact numbers.  A myth-only army is dramatically easier to use, and really cuts down on the chaos and the influence of the "free-will", AKA, unpredictability, that is the core idea of the game.   The player isnt meant to have THAT much direct control over the entire army;  they're supposed to be mostly just influencing things, with the myth units being a part of that.   Instead, they end up often being the entire army.   It's fine to use lots of myth types if you want, or use lots of tokens if you want, or whatever.   But with the way the game works there needs to be a cost, a risk, difficult decision making... that sort of thing.    And while I think the basic mechanics of the myth units are fine and quite important, such as the direct placement, I do think they need a bit more put into them to make them "balanced" in the right way for what this game is.   A different sort of restriction/cost than just resources.   It's kinda like how the tokens and god powers have cooldowns;  it's an added "cost" or restriction that makes them not always the super easy choice, and stops the player from spamming them.

The "soul" system isnt perfect, sure.... it WAS only just thought up, after all.    But I think the fundamentals that it offers are very sound.  With some tweaking, it could help quite a bit.

And I'll stop here before my rambling stops making sense even to me   :P
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:15:32 am by Misery »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
1. Mechanically speaking, no -- I don't want this to ever approach the number of things in AI War.

This is the area I'm a little worried about. It seems to me at the moment that SC can be picked up and played by a wide range of people, to the extent that I think that it deserves coverage on a site like Jayisgames whereas AIwar, not so much. I wouldn't want this game to lose that appeal. This is why I'm wary of any extra counters/mechanics being added unnecessarily. You already seem to have the intent that this game will not become mechanically complicated, though, so if you think that adding this new souls system will not significantly affect accessibility then you are best positioned to make that call. I won't comment any further on this idea since my opinion is not very strong on it.

In terms of overall complexity, my goal is to make it so that on the surface to play at a low level there's not a need to expand the tutorial much if at all.  You can get through your first few games basically as you do now, with not much changing.

THAT said, with expansions and unlockables and so forth, all bets are off: I want to make the game increasingly complex with those.  My reasoning is that if you're playing that long, or buying up expansions, then you WANT more complexity.  Look at Carcassonne: that game gets huge numbers of rule additions with each new expansion, making it way more complex.  And for those people who have mastered the base game, that's exactly what they want.  But if you just want to buy the base game, there's nothing stopping you from doing that.

The other key thing with Carcassonne is that they aren't changing the core rules of HOW the game is played.  IE, you basically have the same "pick a tile, place a tile" mechanic, and the ability to put meeples on the last tile placed.  Yeah they added the large meeple, but that's about it for most of the expansions (the dragon and the tower were bigger changes, but came much later; and you can skip the dragon, as my wife and I tend to, because he pisses her off, heh).

At any rate, my point is that with most of those expansions, the added complexity comes in the game CONTENT, not in the game interface.  If you have new factions with some complicated new rules, or new woes that are complicated and only show up on higher difficulties, or other victory conditions that are complex but completely optional, or complex new buildings and mechanics that only get unlocked once you have a few games under your belt, the accessibility is not affected at all.  Accessibility being the ability to get into the game and understand it at a basic level, and then keep playing if you want to (or just declare you've had your money's worth and stop if that suits you).

To me, that's how to have my cake and eat it to.  I like complex things.  I like accessible things.  So the learning curve has to remain exactly as it is now, or close, for getting into the base parts of the game -- even if you have expansions enabled.  But as you increase difficulties beyond the defaults, and as your profile level increases or whatever, or as you experiment with some other new tiles that get added, the complexity ramps up.  And that's totally cool, because you're basically asking for that at that point.  With an accessible game, there comes a point where you either go "well that was that" or "and now I want more!"  My goal is to keep delivering on the accessibility, while also delivering on the "and now I want more" bit.  I think this gamespace is rich for exploring that sort of thing, it just has to be done carefully.

4. I don't know. It means you have to throw down mythologicals in order to assist those who have lost the most. I've actually thrown down mythologicals just for the sake of causing chaos. If you do add souls, don't make them a cost for everything mythological, but perhaps for the most defensive mythologicals. Score should be enough incentive to throw down the chaotic mythological units, rather than making players lose units to do so.

This is the soundest argument I've seen yet for not doing the souls idea, actually.

Ok but I still think you have options available to fix this problem without adding more mechanics to a game that already feels a bit over-burdened with them. For example what if the AI behavior of human and mythological units was different? Human units might be more inclined to hunt down bandits where mythological units would have a high chance to bee-line to the heathens. This would make building military far more important. It would also make building isolated resource only towns dangerous because if they're blocked off by mountains and a bandit fort spawns by them they're screwed. And it maintains mythological units place as balancing pieces between blue and red. That kind of solution would solve multiple problems without adding non-intuitive arbitrary rules like mythologicals not being able to damage bandit forts.

Well... certainly prioritization is something we can do.  But that said, the AI for all units prefer stuff that is within sight range over wandering off somewhere else UNLESS there is a military commandment involved.  Changing that for mythologicals would have heavy consequences, and I can tell you there would be open revolt to no longer being able to use mythologicals as basically paratroopers, heh.

OK, I guess I lied when I said I wouldn't comment further. This souls idea is very specific to only mythological units. What about the long-term Chaos idea which I thought you might get far more bang for your buck out of. This could also have solved those instances of mythological cheesing as well as helping fix a myriad of other potential problems and potentially even adding a fun factor. Now there is the potential to have this souls resource AND a potential chaos meter? It's all adding to the complexity. Not sure what your plans are going forward though, if a Chaos idea is implemented would the souls idea then be stripped out etc. I'm just wondering if this game over time is mechanically going to become far less accessible than it is now, so I think extra effort should be made to refrain from adding new mechanics/counters etc if at all possible. This souls one seems purely a one trick pony -- it's stopping the mytho cheese, but that's about it.

The Chaos idea is something I'm waffling on, because it does increase the basic complexity of the game... sort of.  I mean, the plus of Chaos is that if you're playing "like normal," it doesn't really affect the game.  Which is great, because then surface accessibility isn't impacted.  But it does add a new and permanent interface element on the screen, which is something I want to always avoid when possible (but do when needed).

The other argument against the Chaos idea is that playing it "like normal" isn't something that necessarily is going to be done on everyone's first game.  I mean, the guy who found the Big Cheese on the other thread found that on his first game just by trying out what seemed smartest to him.  And it was super smart -- too smart, heh. ;)  So for him, on his first game he would be bumping up against Chaos in a big way right from the start.  Is that okay, or not?  It's hard to say.  Anyone clever enough to come up with the idea to use only mythologicals on their first game is basically disregarding what the tutorial told them, and so they are probably more than a midcore gamer.  So for them, the added complexity of dealing with Chaos is probably not a big deal.

But still, having a Chaos meter up there at the top is something that would have to be explained to players at SOME point, or even new players are going to be fretting about this unknown number up there that is constantly changing.

Someone also suggested having a "mood display" for the Master, which I like in theory.  It's more interesting than a number, and shows if he's pissed at your cheese or whatever.  The problem is, under the hood we would have to have calculations that factor into how his mood gets created.  That's fine and well, but do we show those numbers?  If we show the underlying numbers, then the simplicity of the mood display is completely removed.  If we don't, then the mechanic is potentially very complex to understand.  "Why is he angry?"  Etc.

To solve that last, and to auto-train players on the mechanic without having to teach them in advance, we could make it so that every 5 turns or so, the Master's mood changes based on what happens in the prior 5 turns.  If his mood changes from what it was to something else, it has a popup that tells you "The Master is angry because you have been abusing your power and smiting a lot, so now X will happen.  You can do Y to appease him."  And then that's a very clear thing that players can deal with.  Five turns later it might then pop up saying "The Master is contented with your activities" if he's happy.  Or whatever.  That's self-teaching, which I think is really nice.  And it does add some complexity to the game, but I don't think the sort that would really drive players away or whatever.

So to me, "The Master's Mood" is actually the most promising idea at the moment.  Feel free to start poking holes -- what have I missed?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
I would say, have varying amounts of "soul energy" or whatever depending on the unit.  That bit about differentiating units might come in handy here.   Harder to get units (AKA, the ones that require more resources or more types of resources, or both) could be worth more, enticing the player to try to use them when they can.  These might also be ones that could get mountainwalk or other abilities, to differentiate their function.

I think we do risk over-complicating things here, though.  What units specifically get killed is hard to predict for the player.  And what about units that are upgraded, or have bonuses?  Etc.

And finally, about the issue of complexity:

While I agree that you need to be careful, and at least try to keep things somewhat accessible, I also think that there's only so far you can go with pure accessibility before it starts actually impeding on the design.   You can really only worry about this one so much, particularly with a deep strategy title like this one.  Chances are, alot of the players that are going to really be interested in this game are probably used to alot of complexity in their games as it is.   I think this is one of the appeals of this one.   And really, for all of it's parts, the game seriously is not that hard to learn.   The only part people seem to get a bit stuck on is the production-goods, but that's fine.   Everything else?   Nobody really seems to have too much trouble with.   But yeah, worrying about that one too much is only going to stifle things, and that'd be a shame.    One way or another you're GOING to run into a point, probably sooner rather than later, where the complexity is going to go up no matter what.   Particularly as you get into expansions, or bonus DLC, or whatever.

Generally agreed here, although I think complexity can be ramped up on a difficulty-specific basis to some extent, thus not impeding the new player experience.  But yes, not increasing complexity basically isn't an option because then the game design is just done and never grows.  Adding more stuff or more mechanics inherently increases complexity.  And let's face it, that complexity is what is going to give this game legs for the long-term with players who are really into the game.  Otherwise this is just a toy you pick up for a little while, have great fun with, and set aside.  That's fine, really; but it also would be a shame to throw away all the potential here for that.

A few more ideas for dealing with mythos and the whole mythos vs troops balance:

- One solution is that bandits could have magician units they'd put out that were very weak against regular units, but could capture and turn mythological units.
- Mythos could lose interest in fighting the enemy, get bored, and walk to random parts of the map. This is an interesting idea because placement is one of their big advantages, but what this idea means is that without placement, they'd be useless. i.e. placement is the only thing that counters their lack of focus.
- Another way to look at it is that mythos already have a disadvantage: they destroy towns. The problem as seen from this perspective is that it's too easy to rebuild towns, since a mytho-dominated strategy requires that you constantly rebuild. If town building costs (especially town centers) went up as you built them, you'd have an incentive to appreciate the scalpel-like troops rather than the hammer that is a mythological creature. This would also give you something to spend your built-up resources on, which is an issue by the mid-game.

Yeah, those are all interesting ideas, actually.  I like the magician in particular.

My main problem right now with the towns is how spread out the map is getting.  That's something I want to start countering, and I have some ideas on that score.  The reason that is relevant with mythologicals is that they are currently the prime way to direct force to a remote part of the map in a quick fashion.  And if they wander off into no-man's land, I just don't think they will be very fun.

And in the end, I'm really not trying to discourage the use of mythologicals.  I know that sounds silly, because that's the angle I keep coming at it from.  But really that's backwards, the more I think about it.  The core issue is that I'm trying to encourage the use of humans.  Use as many mythologicals as you want!  Just use lots of humans, too.  That's I think the main message I'm going for.

I played some more yesterday and one of my major troubles during the Age Of Man playing on Hard is to cope with the Bandit keeps - not because I am not able to produce enough of a human military to take care of them, but because they simply won't do it. Instead, they beeline to the opposing faction's city to continuously attack buildings that will take them 30 turns to bring down.

And all the while the Bandit keeps keep on churning out more higher level units which eventually leads to most of my military being obliterated without taking a single Bandit with them... I am only able to break this stalemate later once I got some Myths available.

I cannot emphasize enough how much this annoys me. I mean, some unreliability is totally okay and cool (see the whole free will part etc.). I like this as well. But coming up with a starting build that is able to produce an amount of military that should theoretically be able to cope with the first few Bandit keeps at least partially and then seeing it wasting their time with pointlessly scratching the surface of near impenetrable walls is  - not fun :-\.

Changing the target priorities of human military would be a huge step forward to solve this in my opinion :).

Whoah, savegame please?  That is a bug; the humans are already supposed to be doing what you want, but apparently are not for some reason.

I'm not convinced that this particular idea [the souls] is going to add any significant worth or fun-factor to the game. Anything added to the game without enhancing the experience significantly is just going to be increase clutter and complexity, and the game won't be better for it.

Right, the more I think about it, the more I agree with all that.  I'm not opposed to all-mytho games... I just think there needs to be a push-and-pull cost.  IE, I think we should not punish the all-mytho strategy, or make it impossible.  I think that the human-majority strategy should instead be highly desirable for some reason or other, and that going all-mytho simply loses out on whatever those other benefits are.  Again going back to wanting to encourage the use of humans, rather than wanting to discourage the use of mythos.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
I won't go into huge detail as it sounds like as usual you are doing a good job in your mind of distilling all the various opinions down to a workable solution.

In terms of overall complexity

Complexity is fine as long as there is a significant pay-off. With the souls idea, I'm on the fence as to whether there is such a pay-off. Thanks Misery for your great post on the subject, though. I do appreciate it.

To solve that last, and to auto-train players on the mechanic without having to teach them in advance, we could make it so that every 5 turns or so, the Master's mood changes based on what happens in the prior 5 turns.  If his mood changes from what it was to something else, it has a popup that tells you "The Master is angry because you have been abusing your power and smiting a lot, so now X will happen.  You can do Y to appease him."  And then that's a very clear thing that players can deal with.  Five turns later it might then pop up saying "The Master is contented with your activities" if he's happy.  Or whatever.  That's self-teaching, which I think is really nice.  And it does add some complexity to the game, but I don't think the sort that would really drive players away or whatever.

Something like this sounds great. Just a text interjection warning you that He is getting tired of your shenanigans. It's simple, thematically awesome, and sounds fun. I just find the idea that someone is overseeing what your doing and is willing to intervene if necessary really cool.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
I won't go into huge detail as it sounds like as usual you are doing a good job in your mind of distilling all the various opinions down to a workable solution.

Thanks for that. :)

Something like this sounds great. Just a text interjection warning you that He is getting tired of your shenanigans. It's simple, thematically awesome, and sounds fun. I just find the idea that someone is overseeing what your doing and is willing to intervene if necessary really cool.

Cool, glad you like it.  And yeah, The Master basically got all but cut from the game at one point, but I think that bringing him back in more is interesting.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
4. I don't know. It means you have to throw down mythologicals in order to assist those who have lost the most. I've actually thrown down mythologicals just for the sake of causing chaos. If you do add souls, don't make them a cost for everything mythological, but perhaps for the most defensive mythologicals. Score should be enough incentive to throw down the chaotic mythological units, rather than making players lose units to do so.

This is the soundest argument I've seen yet for not doing the souls idea, actually.

Wanted to comment on this real quick.

I'm not seeing how it would FORCE the player to throw myth stuffs in either direction, based on the way the game works.  As I understand it, the idea behind the souls thing isnt "murder one side really hard and then they can finally get myth units".   It's "cause much death and you get myth units".   In other words, constant combat between units.   The idea isnt to stomp either side, but instead get BOTH sides using larger numbers of units, creating more chaos... but the player would still be trying to balance that.   The ideal situation for the player would not be one side getting stomped, but both sides clashing constantly in the middle, with units dying but neither side getting ahead, and all of this with larger armies, as opposed to really small armies, or even no armies, while just gathering from passive seers and such.

That's how I understood it, anyway.

Also, yes, I dont actually think that the souls would need to be on like every token or something.   Just that, if it seems appropriate for whatever reason, they COULD be.   Mostly though, it's for the actual myth units, not the tokens, yeah?  Those do have cooldowns already after all.

Also I like the Master's Mood idea.  The "You've done THIS, so now I want you to do THIS, or I'll throw meteors at you!" popup idea actually sounds alot better than just a behind the scenes decision to do something by the game.  I also like that with that you're given a clear option that you can take to prevent it, yet of course you wouldnt HAVE to.   

Hm, yeah, that sounds alot better than the Chaos thing.   I really like that one.    Seems to fit the theme more too, rather than "you have too many elves so now a volcano suddenly appears for no apparent reason, nothing you can do about that"

Also ARGH NINJA SWARM.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff

Wanted to comment on this real quick.

I'm not seeing how it would FORCE the player to throw myth stuffs in either direction, based on the way the game works.  As I understand it, the idea behind the souls thing isnt "murder one side really hard and then they can finally get myth units".   It's "cause much death and you get myth units".   In other words, constant combat between units.   The idea isnt to stomp either side, but instead get BOTH sides using larger numbers of units, creating more chaos... but the player would still be trying to balance that.   The ideal situation for the player would not be one side getting stomped, but both sides clashing constantly in the middle, with units dying but neither side getting ahead, and all of this with larger armies, as opposed to really small armies, or even no armies, while just gathering from passive seers and such.

That's how I understood it, anyway.

Right, that's how I meant it.  I understood his point as being a matter of "the mythologicals are more available to the losing side, and that's maybe a bit skewed."  Aka, it makes it easier to recover that side, rather than harder.  Though of course the other resource requirements would play into that.

Also, yes, I dont actually think that the souls would need to be on like every token or something.   Just that, if it seems appropriate for whatever reason, they COULD be.   Mostly though, it's for the actual myth units, not the tokens, yeah?  Those do have cooldowns already after all.

I would personally want to put this on all the mythological units, but none of the tokens for them or gods.  The tokens and such already have high resource costs including the cooldowns, and there's just no need for that.  The reason for souls as opposed to cooldowns on the myth units is that then you can stockpile the resources and do a bunch of myth units when you want to (and the whole "have to use humans" thing).

Still... I wonder if we're barking up the wrong try by limiting the use of myth units at all, rather than just trying to encourage the use of human units intrinsically.  An all-myth game sounds to me like it could be fun, if it was properly counterbalanced by you not having access to something that only human units can do.  Something NEW I should add -- nerfing myth units by making them not able to attack bandit keeps is I think a great example of what people think of taking away abilities from myth units. ;)

All that said, I still like the souls idea quite a bit, and if nothing can be thought up on the "make humans desirable to use for their own sake" front, then I think that the souls idea is probably the way to go from the general sound of things.  I don't think it would be too intrusive, which is good.

Also I like the Master's Mood idea.  The "You've done THIS, so now I want you to do THIS, or I'll throw meteors at you!" popup idea actually sounds alot better than just a behind the scenes decision to do something by the game.  I also like that with that you're given a clear option that you can take to prevent it, yet of course you wouldnt HAVE to.

That wasn't quite what I meant, although that is interesting.  I had meant "okay, you pissed me off, so it's time for meteors for 5 turns.  If you want me to be in a better mood, stop doing X or the meteors keep coming."  The cool thing there is that you might actually WANT meteors, heh.  So you could actually manipulate the master just like you do the humans. ;)

Though the way you described it also has a lot of merit.

Hm, yeah, that sounds alot better than the Chaos thing.   I really like that one.    Seems to fit the theme more too, rather than "you have too many elves so now a volcano suddenly appears for no apparent reason, nothing you can do about that"

Agreed.

Also ARGH NINJA SWARM.

What's new?  ;D

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
All that said, I still like the souls idea quite a bit, and if nothing can be thought up on the "make humans desirable to use for their own sake" front, then I think that the souls idea is probably the way to go from the general sound of things.  I don't think it would be too intrusive, which is good.

I have to say. Is this really such an urgent issue? Theoretically it is possible to use mythos exclusively as that one guy proved, but generally I'm not seeing it as a big problem. I use human units all the time. I've watched pretty much the majority of the current SC Let's Play videos out there and I don't recall any of them abusing mythos -- mountains, that's a different case. If anything most of them are scared to put a mytho down in case it wreaks havoc with their towns. 

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
I like souls because it compliments play that improves score, but does it in a meaningful and rewarding way. It's an extra gameplay-based motivator to causing destruction.

So I don't see it really as *just* a method to avoid some myth-only exploit, but a mechanic that leads players better when trying to answer "what should I be trying to do?"

Getting lots of souls is a strong secondary goal, because it gives you powerful options to help you meet your primary goal.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V

That wasn't quite what I meant, although that is interesting.  I had meant "okay, you pissed me off, so it's time for meteors for 5 turns.  If you want me to be in a better mood, stop doing X or the meteors keep coming."  The cool thing there is that you might actually WANT meteors, heh.  So you could actually manipulate the master just like you do the humans. ;)

Though the way you described it also has a lot of merit.

Same difference :p

Either way of doing it sounds pretty good to me, really.  If you can work out the specifics I think that'd be a great addition.

As for the myth unit thing, I agree, if more reason to use the human units can be created, instead of a new cost, that'd work as well.   The lack of enough reason to keep spawning them seems to be the core of the problem after all, not so much a problem with the myth units.

I have to say. Is this really such an urgent issue? Theoretically it is possible to use mythos exclusively as that one guy proved, but generally I'm not seeing it as a big problem. I use human units all the time. I've watched pretty much the majority of the current SC Let's Play videos out there and I don't recall any of them abusing mythos -- mountains, that's a different case. If anything most of them are scared to put a mytho down in case it wreaks havoc with their towns. 

I think once new players learn enough though, they'll find the myth units pretty easy to deal with.... particularly if there arent many other units in the area that they're placed in.    There's a sort of paranoia about placing them early on after the game basically goes "Holy crap, these are like flaming laser chainsaws that fly at you, dont just go placing them like crazy", but it's easy to get to a point of being able to work with them very easily.

Even I find myself using the things a bit too much.   They have alot of stat advantages, AND it's very easy to just keep placing however many I want;  and that's WITHOUT me concentrating too much on the resources for them.   It's rare that I have more than 3-4 seers in any one town.  Some will have just one or two.   No towns that are just seers or other myth resources, but I still end up with silly amounts of them.     Or what I think of as silly amounts, granted my overall unit count tends to be a bit on the low side as part of my playstyle.   But yeah, it just seems too easy to go "Problem over here?  Drop a giant on it.    Problem over there?  Drop another giant on it.   Some bandits popping up?  Maybe an elf this time." as opposed to doing anything to deal with or influence (or even much use at all) the human armies.

Offline Panopticon

I've gotta say my immediate reaction to the idea of a Master's Mood mechanic isn't that great. One thing that I think makes God Games an interesting sub-genre is the idea that you are allowed to toy with the mortal world practically at will. If I have some God-Boss coming down on me because I want to do whatever then I'm going to turn the game off and go do something else. I think people play these kinds of games because of the promise of ridiculous power and unmatched freedom, not for performance reviews and efficiency reports. Perhaps that can be done without the player suddenly feeling like they've been hobbled, but even if it's just thematic in nature I think you guys could be treading on the appeal of this type of game.

I find the idea of making human units more desirable to use the more appealing path.

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
I have to agree with Panopticon. The Master concept can only be used to a certain degree before you're just a middle manager.

I'd like to bring up the problem of resources. The game essentially has unbounded resources. You can have as many towns as you want and as many resources as you want. All you have to do is build more towns and tiles. This makes mythos' high cost prohibitive only in the very first stages of the game.

I've been toying with the following several (independent) ideas:
- Mythos can spawn automatically in towns if you have too many mythos resources. This means you need to keep your incense down if you want to control chaos. This is a great way to make mythos resources (and therefore mythos) less desirable.
- Towns have a warehouse where their stash is stored. Build up too many resources without using them, and you'll attract bandits. A thief bandit unit would be able to sneak into your city and steal your resources.
- Bandits are attracted to towns without protection.
- A more complex mechanic: the blight. A force that starts out separate from your continent and grows with time. Eventually it'll connect with your continent, especially if you grow too fast. This gives you a reason to not want to expand to fast, and also to fear the destruction of your towns. One the blight expands to your continent, it makes land unusable. This also gives a more strategic, long term focus to the game.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
I'll just say make mountains spawn behemoths and lakes spawn leviathans at a very low rate (so you'd only see them appear regularly when you place a lot of those tiles).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk