Author Topic: Care to weigh in on potential logo concepts? Vote here! (Final Round) EDIT: Fin!  (Read 13300 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
UPDATE: All finished!  Final logo selection is attached.

Round 5, final round!

We're undergoing a process to choose a logo for Skyward Collapse.  Here are the two frontrunners that it is now down to.  The #285 is final, but the other is still evolving.  The details there will sort themselves out I'm confident, and I'm leaning that way based on the amazing colors and so on.  Some things would definitely need to change in the details of it, though.  Anyway, here's the new poll: https://99designs.com/logo-design/vote-thk3qz

Bear in mind that I'll be making my decision independently of the poll -- this isn't design by committee.  However, the comments and ratings have been extremely valuable thus far in refining the concepts of the logos and driving toward something that we'll all generally find pleasing.  And most importantly, that would grab eyeballs on Steam. ;)  More even than personal preference on my part, that's what I'm going by -- how eye-catching does this look at small scale?

#285 looks a bit more like a bejeweled diamond at the steam capsule size, which strikes me as not a good thing at all.  I love the design of it, though.  The others look more like a batman logo when small, and the details are still coming along.  That plus the more vibrant contrast strikes me as a lot stronger.  This has surged ahead in just the last half an hour, for me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:24:01 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: Care to weigh in on potential logo concepts? Vote here! (Final Round)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:00:01 am »
Hate to be a downer, but none.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:00:35 am »
All of the #285 picture are awesome. I would accept any one of those variations.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:03:13 am »
Hate to be a downer, but none.

In the sense of none of the options on display?  That's not really an option for us, as we're committed to picking one of them (out of the 326 entries that we've had, anyhow -- not one of these three specifically).

All of the #285 picture are awesome. I would accept any one of those variations.

Can I ask what it is that you find so amateurish about the other one?  Just so that I understand what you mean, because you keep reporting that.  I don't mean that antagonistically at all, I'm just trying to see it from your perspective.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:13 am »
I get what you're saying about #285 looking like a bejeweled daimond when small.  That certainly isn't an impression I'd like to give, but I don't know if I would have recognized it if you hadn't pointed it out.  #324 looks great, but the border is much too haphazard in my opinion.  The trees on top are a nice touch, though.

I don't' know which one I'd go with if I were you.  They both have significant pros and cons.  Maybe the final version of #324 will clarify things.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:12:30 am »
I've asked for a few revisions to #285.  Namely a bit of a black border around the text to help that stand out more against the island behind it, and a second jut-down on the bottom of the island to make that seem less like a bejeweled diamond.

On the other one, I think that the reason that's a bit haphazard is that the guy is super rushing at the moment.  The contest lasts only one more hour, but he's promised to work on it after the contest ends if he's chosen.  It's one of those questions of which one could be revised better, in the end.  I'm super torn.

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
  • WARNING: May Contain Objectionable Opinions
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:13:04 am »
I'd have to go with the first or the last one from 285. The other two don't cut it; blue and green just can't be put together like that.
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Or is that "to kill"?  Hmm.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:15:43 am »
I'd have to go with the first or the last one from 285. The other two don't cut it; blue and green just can't be put together like that.

Did you mean the first or last one, like you said?  The last one is the one with the green and the slight blue.  That's the only one I'm considering out of this bunch as it has to go with the attached (still VERY sketch-like) style of coloring and so forth.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:16:47 am »

In the sense of none of the options on display?  That's not really an option for us, as we're committed to picking one of them (out of the 326 entries that we've had, anyhow -- not one of these three specifically).

I understand, but I'll explain just to be thorough.

#324.

Looks bland, The text itself is fine, but trees and a building? Is it meant to be a village game? Doesn't mesh with what I know with the game.

Feels like an incomplete version of 323. I'm trying to answer whether a missleading picture is better then a blank canvas, and I have no answer.

It reinforces my complaint from the previous one. I see the text and a blob of earth with what seems like...grass? On top of it.

Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:18:12 am »

On the other one, I think that the reason that's a bit haphazard is that the guy is super rushing at the moment.  The contest lasts only one more hour, but he's promised to work on it after the contest ends if he's chosen.  It's one of those questions of which one could be revised better, in the end.  I'm super torn.

Ah, you are rushed. Explains quite a bit.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 10:24:03 am »
I understand, but I'll explain just to be thorough.

I do appreciate it, actually.

#324.

Looks bland, The text itself is fine, but trees and a building? Is it meant to be a village game? Doesn't mesh with what I know with the game.

Bland isn't the idea, but yes this is sort of a village game.  Mostly these are villages, and they're pretty rustic.  However, the villages are at war.  You don't build a consolidated empire, but rather a semi-connected string of small towns (villages really) that each have their own specialties at goods production, military production, etc.  There is plenty of fighting, but the town-design parts of it are just as crucial, since that's the backbone of your military (and what your military is out to defend and destroy).

Feels like an incomplete version of 323. I'm trying to answer whether a missleading picture is better then a blank canvas, and I have no answer.

It is an incomplete version of the other one, actually.  The 323 one is too pastoral by far, I agree.  Which is why I took a version of it that didn't have the pastoral bits.  The designer is working on something less pastoral, but it's not in yet.

It reinforces my complaint from the previous one. I see the text and a blob of earth with what seems like...grass? On top of it.

They're actually swords, but I guess that's not sufficiently clear.  I may need to make those a different color when this is small (or even also when it's large).  It's a good point on it not looking quite right, though.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 10:30:47 am »

Bland isn't the idea, but yes this is sort of a village game.  Mostly these are villages, and they're pretty rustic.  However, the villages are at war.  You don't build a consolidated empire, but rather a semi-connected string of small towns (villages really) that each have their own specialties at goods production, military production, etc.  There is plenty of fighting, but the town-design parts of it are just as crucial, since that's the backbone of your military (and what your military is out to defend and destroy).

Ah! Cool.  :) That sounds exciting. OK, that makes the picture much better.

It is an incomplete version of the other one, actually.  The 323 one is too pastoral by far, I agree.  Which is why I took a version of it that didn't have the pastoral bits.  The designer is working on something less pastoral, but it's not in yet.

OK, I had meant that I just can't really grade what feels like something very incomplete. Will wait.

They're actually swords, but I guess that's not sufficiently clear.  I may need to make those a different color when this is small (or even also when it's large).  It's a good point on it not looking quite right, though.

I liked the idea, and for a game main menu where the icon is huge is it nice. But for outside the game, where it is typically quite small, those details have to stand out. That is what I meant.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:34:01 am »
Those are all really good points.  And for #285, if I go with that one, I might need to break the island out from the text and just show the top of that.  For when it's really tiny, I mean.  When it's shown at a reasonable scale it could show the whole thing.  So again, I remain torn.  Both could work, I think.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 10:40:27 am »
Going to vote for #324 overall, but with #285 being an honorable mention of maybe being within the game main menu, where it is the only place you can be certain you see it in high resolution.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Aquohn

• Full Member Mark III
  • WARNING: May Contain Objectionable Opinions
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 10:47:41 am »

Did you mean the first or last one, like you said?  The last one is the one with the green and the slight blue.  That's the only one I'm considering out of this bunch as it has to go with the attached (still VERY sketch-like) style of coloring and so forth.

285 is four logos, by "first" I meant top, by "last" I meant bottom. The "blue and green" comment referred to the other two logos, 323 and 324. The blue border looks rather out of place.

If you're going to use blue, you should use it for the background, to give a sense of, well, sky, rather than just on the logo.
Arcen in Summary:
thank you so much, RNG
It aims to please!

Or is that "to kill"?  Hmm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk