Author Topic: 1.003 out with two fixes.  (Read 2794 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
1.003 out with two fixes.
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:06 am »
It's the weekend, and a holiday one at that here in the US, but a couple of things I wanted to get out: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Skyward_Collapse_-_Post_Release_Notes#Official_1.003

Cheers!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: 1.003 out with two fixes.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:34:23 am »
Well, that was certainly unexpected.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:42:48 am »
I'd been considering the mountain and lakes thing for a long time, but a thread on the steam forums convinced me: basically you could set up lots of un-loseable situations on easy mode and so forth.  Just too exploity to live, in essence.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:50:54 am »
I'm glad. I'm a firm believer that it's possible to make easy mode too easy.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 09:17:17 am »
I'd been considering the mountain and lakes thing for a long time, but a thread on the steam forums convinced me: basically you could set up lots of un-loseable situations on easy mode and so forth.  Just too exploity to live, in essence.

Yep, that one was certainly the case.

Heck, I was looking at a video earlier of someone playing it, on the basic plains map, and one of the very first things they did was draw a line of mountains through the center of the map;  it cut off pretty much everything.   Sure didn't make things interesting.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 09:42:16 am »
Wow, that is certainly going to change things. O_o Mountains were handy in creating choke-points, but I also had a thought in the back of my mind that making a solid wall between the nations would essentially make it an instant win, albeit low scored.

Though I haven't played that much yet to make a solid analysis. But yeah, this'll shake things up :D
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline iozay

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 05:28:37 pm »
Good thing! :) Just a small suggestion: Perhaps an idea to put a huge cost(for example, 9 actions and/or resources to mountains/lakes. To limit its sploity ability but to keep the ability for strategic usage :)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 06:34:45 pm »
Now what we need is a cheat that allows this on all difficulties =) (without achievements, recorded scores etc of course)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:10:51 pm by zespri »

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 09:55:27 pm »
While testing the demo, using a bunch of mountains and lakes gave me the impression I was cheesing the game, so much so that after a while I started to smite them and replace them with plains. Now, with this patch, I'm curious to see how I'll be able to balance the struggle of power without walling the chokepoints when things get too hot.

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »

Yep, that one was certainly the case.

Heck, I was looking at a video earlier of someone playing it, on the basic plains map, and one of the very first things they did was draw a line of mountains through the center of the map;  it cut off pretty much everything.   Sure didn't make things interesting.

I believe I was looking at the same video and thinking the same thing. It made for pretty dull gameplay, so I was glad to see the option go.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 12:36:49 am »
There's nothing really stopping you from just flat-out smiting enough of a hole that no units can pass through any tiles aside from one specific chokepoint, but I guess that's a bit of a different story. It just removes the step of 'place a mountain' and introduces the possibility of whatever ethereal force that expands the map adding more stuff to the hole you made.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 02:45:36 am »
There's nothing really stopping you from just flat-out smiting enough of a hole that no units can pass through any tiles aside from one specific chokepoint, but I guess that's a bit of a different story. It just removes the step of 'place a mountain' and introduces the possibility of whatever ethereal force that expands the map adding more stuff to the hole you made.

That one, I've tried;  the game has this amazing tendancy to simply refill the holes when I least expect it; you'd need a BIG gap indeed (and thus tons of AP) to make that work, and even then it can still technically undo it.  Wheras a placed mountain would never just be randomly undone except by very specific woes.

Half the time if I do try to temporarily block something off with Smite, that really is exactly what happens, and then things get loopy fast.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk