Author Topic: Fatal error during tutorial  (Read 8671 times)

Offline SashaNein

Fatal error during tutorial
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:18:15 am »
I was playing through the tutorial, and reached the age of Gods.  One turn after Heimdall and Ares appeared, I got a message saying there had been an error and I should report it with the attached logs.

I've attached a dxdiag too in case that comes in handy.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Fatal error during tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:51:10 am »
Hmm... this is a really strange engine-level error that I've never seen before on any of our games.  There's not an error on any particular line number, or even in our part of the game really.  This happened when trying to draw a regular image of some kind (the background of a world map tile), so that part is utterly normal.  But the error message given is "Update: System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL"

There's very little information on google or at Unity about this, and the one thing on Unity is about having too many assets added.  But they had waaaay more assets added than we do, and the memory being used by the game runtime at the time of your error (per the log file) was only 114MB.  Hardly taxing.

This is quite odd indeed, particularly because I don't have any other reports of this.  We've seen some funky one-off errors in the past on various others of our games, and typically those were the result of a partially corrupt install.  Just doing a "verify local game files" in Steam probably would fix the issue -- knock on wood.

If that doesn't work, then if this happens again can you also post your output.log file from inside the Collapse_Data folder inside the root data folder?  Every time you run the game that gets overwritten, so I doubt you have that now unless you haven't run the game again since this error.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:26 am »
In theory it could be a driver problem causing DX to panic, and thus abort whatever draw call Unity was trying to execute at the moment.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:42:27 am »
That's a good point, actually.  Though these are nvidia drivers, so usually I'm less suspicious of them.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:47 am »
That's a good point, actually.  Though these are nvidia drivers, so usually I'm less suspicious of them.
They may warrant less suspicion, but B being pony-bad doesn't mean A is all that great either.  Anyway, some kind of download corruption of the game may be responsible, but I'm not sure if it could have messed up an image file bad enough to cause that kind of error.  Though that could just be my ignorance.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:05:41 am »
Right, that's all I meant was less.  There have certainly been plenty of nvidia problems over the last four years, just nothing in the last one or two that has interacted with any of our stuff poorly.

Offline SashaNein

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:06:49 am »
I haven't started it up again since the error, you can find the output_log.txt attached.

I plan on upgrading to the new Nvidia drivers (320.18), so if it doesn't happen again I'd guess it is driver related.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 11:12:58 am »
Thanks for that -- hmm, nothing of note in there except this one message line:

Your 64 bit Windows installation is missing an imporant service pack patch. Please apply http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976038 to ensure stability.

I can't speak to that, as that's a message from the underlying unity engine, not us.  But that may well explain what's up with their engine throwing an odd error on your machine.  But given that you are on windows 8, it may well not be an accurate message (that hotfix only seems to apply to win7 and back).

I still would do a verification of the local files on steam -- it doesn't take long, and often it fixes funky issues.  It's not that it would have corrupted an image to the point that would cause this, it's that sometimes it corrupts bits and pieces of the unity runtime such that it does odd things.  We've seen it before on other games of ours, and a simply verification of the local files through the steam client always has fixed those.  They were different error messages than this one, though, so I don't know if it's driver or corrupt download or both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk