Author Topic: Game crashing on victory  (Read 34221 times)

Offline helenedwards

Game crashing on victory
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:49:05 pm »
I just finished the tutorial and got the Victory message, but the screen locks up. Alt+Tab to exit the program, and there's a message saying the game crashed and to send the data to the developer. I reloaded my last save and played to the end again, saving one round away from the 90th, and it locked up again. Loaded the save and it locked up again on Victory. The first part of the error log states:

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.2.1f4_4d30acc925c2]

steam_api.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module steam_api.dll at 0023:6edb1f7d.

Error occurred at 2014-07-13_213256.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyward Collapse\Collapse.exe, run by Duckworth.
35% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [3175 MB free].
Read from location 78b8892c caused an access violation.

Context:
EDI: 0x10821348 ESI: 0x10821300 EAX: 0x00000001
EBX: 0x9dc00050 ECX: 0x77a238aa EDX: 0x78b88920
EIP: 0x6edb1f7d EBP: 0x0033f74c SegCs: 0x00000023
EFlags: 0x00010212 ESP: 0x0033f724 SegSs: 0x0000002b

Is there an email address I can send the entire contents of the error log to? It's an awful lot of text to post the whole thing to the forum.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 03:56:23 am by helenedwards »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Game crashing on victory
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:55:40 am »
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this -- that's quite a surprise to see that issue suddenly cropping up.  It looks from that like it's honestly a bug in the Steam API right now.  Are you on the very latest version of the steam client?  It's possible that they have a passing bug inside that one, or the one before it, that is leading to this.  The error that you're noting is something that is coming from within the Steam system itself.

The other possibility is that it's a corrupted download of that steam_api.dll file for some reason (sometimes Steam mangles a file).  Simply going into your game folder and deleting that dll and then right-clicking the game in steam and choosing properties, then hitting Local Files, and Verify Integrity Of Local Game Cache should replace that file that you deleted as well as fixing any others.

If you don't care about achievements being logged to steam, you can also just leave that deleted and it won't fire up and it will stop impacting the game at all, too, just as an aside.  But I figure that you probably want your achievements logged!

You can send the full log to arcengames at gmail dot com and we can take a look at it, but I think that you got the relevant part actually.  Usually there's a lot of repetition of the same thing over and over again when it's an issue like this particular one.

We're still going to be mostly out of the office between now and the 2nd, so apologies for being slow during this period.  If none of the above works, you can always temporarily delete steam_api.dll and it won't log your achievements to steam, but will log them locally.  Then when we get the rest of it figured out (or steam issues a new update), the updates will actually sync from your local machine up to steam, which is handy.

Sorry for the trouble there!

Best,
Chris
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk