Author Topic: Shattered Haven -- Another Upcoming Project  (Read 30210 times)

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
Re: Shattered Haven -- Another Upcoming Project
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2012, 08:31:24 pm »
If the levels are handcrafted, there will be no replay value like in AI War ?

I can see why you'd worry about that. However, hopefully the level editor will make up for a lack of procedural generation... I don't really see how tactical trap-based combat can be procedurally generated and also be sensible. There are also those gold medals to go for, and multiplayer to play with your friends. There also might be more to it that just isn't done yet. It's too soon to tell.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2012, 08:45:08 pm »
There is also things like achievements and difficulty settings for replay.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2012, 09:43:09 pm »
Yea, handcrafted does mean finite replay value, whereas AIW's is arguably getting into the functionally-infinite (in that you can get tired of it but not probably not because you ran out of genuinely new scenarios), but it doesn't mean a low replay value.  There's also the angle of community content and (possibly, not sure where Chris is on this) ongoing stuff from us depending on how well it does financially, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2012, 10:56:00 pm »
Yea, handcrafted does mean finite replay value, whereas AIW's is arguably getting into the functionally-infinite (in that you can get tired of it but not probably not because you ran out of genuinely new scenarios), but it doesn't mean a low replay value.  There's also the angle of community content and (possibly, not sure where Chris is on this) ongoing stuff from us depending on how well it does financially, etc.

Yes, while there will be finite replay value, we hope to have enough levels in there to still make it a fun experience worth what you paid for it. There are already close to 100 levels in it right now, and we'll be adding more as development continues, in fact, I'm working on another right now.

As for community content, there's definitely room for that on this one. The level editor is actually really good, quite polished right now. We plan to add good levels from the community into the game similar to how we add rooms to AVWW now.

LaughingThesaurus is right, there's not really a way to have procedurally generated levels that make sense and are also good/interesting, so they have to be hand-crafted, but, IMO, a hand-crafted level that is done right can have a certain amount of character that a computer just can't generate.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2012, 12:36:40 am »
Didn't he say you could create your own levels? 
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2012, 07:13:53 am »
Didn't he say you could create your own levels?

Absolutely!

Offline yllamana

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2012, 07:53:31 am »
Even if you just use the default levels, it seems really likely that there will be enough that it's well worth the money. :) Arcen games usually have plenty of "stuff" in them and aren't very pricey!

P.S. Hi Fiskbit!!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »
Sorry if it's been asked, but will this have a story, (actual) characters, (actual) dialog and stuff?
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2012, 12:49:14 pm »
Sorry if it's been asked, but will this have a story, (actual) characters, (actual) dialog and stuff?

It will have a story. I'm not yet sure how involved it will be, or how integral to the first set of missions it will be, but the game is based off a novel Chris was writing, so there's lots of material for a story.

As far as I know right now, there are plans for only one story for the first adventure then there will be at least one more adventure that will not have a story. Beyond that I think it depends on what kind of support/interest there is in the game and in further stories.

Offline CoyoteTheClever

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:25 pm »
I vaguely remember some of the information you posted about Alden Ridge way back when, and I also vaguely remember it was exciting stuff and that I was looking forward to it. Nice to see it hasn't died!

It goes without saying I'm going to be buying this  :)

Offline relmz32

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2012, 03:05:02 pm »
There are plenty of games that provide great gameplay and replay-ability even within a limit of levels and bosses. I wasn't around for this the first time, i don't think, but this sounds really cool.

Also, the book is intriguing to me. I'd want to see that. Or a game version of it.
A programmer had a problem. She thought to herself, "I know, I'll solve it with threads!". has Now problems. two she.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 07:24:07 am »
We are working on somethings to add some replayability as well, possibly some different endings to the story, stuff like that.

As for the book, I believe that it remains unfinished as a novel.

Offline Tobias

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 04:52:18 pm »
So, a top down dungeon-crawlery thing where you manipulate the environment to kill aliens.

Ehhhhh... uhhh.... having trouble adequately expressing my lack of enthusiasm for this concept, but maybe you'll surprise me. The fact that this is going to take dev time away from AVWW worries me greatly.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 04:58:40 pm »
It's not a dungeon crawler in any sense, and you're also not killing aliens.  Anyway, the game won't be for everyone anymore than any other game is, but this is a pretty cool title if I do say so.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 05:57:16 pm »
MOAR games. My poor schedule :(
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk