Author Topic: Resolution / Mouse Bug  (Read 9272 times)

Offline corfe83

Resolution / Mouse Bug
« on: June 15, 2013, 04:06:31 pm »
Tried the game for the first time last night, and it's pretty cool, minus one really nasty bug.

Some resolutions don't display any border around the screen, which actually makes it impossible to navigate to other screens if you move your characters entirely by mouse. I almost gave up on the game at first because I couldn't figure out how to follow the arrows pointing to the right outside the house you start in (I tried hitting e for activate, space bar, enter, but you have to click off the screen, usually where the border is). I imagine an arrow key would work too.

This might put off newcomers who navigate by mouse (don't intend to use arrow keys), and really should be fixed.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Resolution / Mouse Bug
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:12:06 pm »
Hi there,

Glad you're enjoying the game, but unfortunately there's nothing we can really do here.  You may be able to click and then drag to the side, but I'm not sure.  You may just need to use a larger screen resolution.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline corfe83

Re: Resolution / Mouse Bug
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:00:43 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I switched to a larger screen resolution and my problem is now solved (for the record, I tested and clicking and dragging under the old resolution doesn't seem to solve the problem).  Have you considered this fix?: Right now we apparently do something like: "if (clickX > gameWindowX)" (if you click off the game area proper, consider it a request to navigate to the next screen). Why not allow clicks on the edge of the game area proper also count as a request to navigate to the next screen, i.e. "if (clickX >= gameWindowX)" (and same for other directions)?

Another solution is just to make the default resolution slightly larger than it is now.

If neither of those solutions are acceptable, consider pointing out somewhere in the tutorial that you may not always be able to navigate purely by mouse. The way the controls are presented in the tutorial, it's implied that you can just pick one control scheme (keyboard controls OR mouse controls OR gamepad controls) - but at the default resolution, the controls listed under "mouse controls" actually aren't enough to get through the tutorial.

Anyway, my issue is solved, these are just suggestions to hopefully prevent the issue for other new users.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:02:52 am by corfe83 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk