Author Topic: Level Status/Overview  (Read 1531 times)

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
Level Status/Overview
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:46:30 pm »
Are there plans to implement an overview of the completion status of the various levels?  As in, a menu you can see all the levels you've discovered, whether you've completed them, and if you got gold.  Maybe even the region of where it was located.  It would really help those of us who plan to 100% the game.

Also, is there any way we can get an overworld map?  I keep getting lost.  :-[

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Level Status/Overview
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:56:26 pm »
If I have time, I do hope to do a global "play these levels again that you've already played" sort of central list, with completion statuses on each one.  But it just depends on if I wind up with time or not.

Regarding the overworld map, that's something older versions of the game used to have -- actually, there were two levels of map in the game, one for levels/regions, and one for cross-regions.  We removed those when we ported the game to unity, because it messes with the atmosphere.  And if you've got a central list of levels, or a way of doing fast-travel or similar (both of which we'd been contemplating), then the maps are less needed because it's more about going to places you've not yet been rather than places you've already discovered and are trying to remember what was what.

In other words, with a map it was only so helpful to see the overall layout, because if you didn't remember which level was in which screen, that was basically no help.  And since some of the levels are hidden, showing that as metadata on the map is more than a bit tricky.  Doing a central list of levels approach really would be cleaner for the player and for us implementing it, I think.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:38:32 pm »
It could be kind of neat to have a scrawled on sheet of paper or something as a map that functions also as a menu for you to choose old places you've been. New scrawlings would only be added as you've visited new parts of the overworld, stuff like that.
If it wouldn't be too impractical that might be something to sort of serve both roles.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:32:04 am »
I'm glad to hear some sort of level status is being contemplated.  It would make things much easier.  I was going to mention fast-travel, too.  Maybe some relic you get after beating/late in the game that has the power to carry you to other areas.

As far as the map, I was thinking something like Super Metroid that filled in over time, and had colored sections to denote levels.  Highlighting the colored sections could list the level name and completion status.  That could also be the "menu" by which you select with level to redo, once you're able to fast-travel.

But then again, I'm probably over thinking it.  ;D

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 08:07:36 am »
We're getting really short on time prior to 1.0, so something really involved like that's high is a nice to have is kind of off the table. Basically we have to have everything finished by Friday morning, and just be to possible nice to haves and any final glitches after that...
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk