Author Topic: DEADLANDS - Bonus levels?  (Read 12263 times)

Offline rui_brochado

DEADLANDS - Bonus levels?
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:52:48 am »
Hi.

I can't seem to find one of the bonus levels on this area. I reached and finished "Volcano Rock Path", but I have no idea how to get to the other one, can anyone help me? I'm pretty sure I can't explore anymore than I did, I was really thorough (but aparently not enough :) ).

This game is really awesome, I'd like to see all that it has to offer, that's why I'd really like to play every bonus level and find every secret area.

Thanks.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: DEADLANDS - Bonus levels?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:33:46 am »
Thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying the game! :)

The second bonus level is in a little hut on the way to the mining building in the far east.

Specifically, if you are coming from Stantonsburg, go:

1. North (to where the house with the Fast New Gray is).
2. East
3. East
4. East (to that screen where there were two shadow children a jillion milling wandering grays before you met shadow man in this area).

On screen #4, there is a little hut in the upper right.  There is a secret path through the pine trees that lead up there.  Behind some of the thorns near the center of the screen (just to the left), you can start making your way up, then around to that building.  That leads you to "Autumn At The Desert's Edge."

Hope that helps! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline rui_brochado

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:06:31 am »
Thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying the game! :)

The second bonus level is in a little hut on the way to the mining building in the far east.

Specifically, if you are coming from Stantonsburg, go:

1. North (to where the house with the Fast New Gray is).
2. East
3. East
4. East (to that screen where there were two shadow children a jillion milling wandering grays before you met shadow man in this area).

On screen #4, there is a little hut in the upper right.  There is a secret path through the pine trees that lead up there.  Behind some of the thorns near the center of the screen (just to the left), you can start making your way up, then around to that building.  That leads you to "Autumn At The Desert's Edge."

Hope that helps! :)
x4000, it's incredible how you're really helpful with all of us, I really look forward for new games from you guys. Also, an amazing job you did with all the updates and bug fixing, I wish some mainstream games companies were half that helpful and competent concerning support issues. A double thumbs up for you, seriously.

Now back to the matter at hand, I noticed that little hut on that screen, but wasn't able to reach it through the pinewood. Damn, I knew I should've explored that screen a little more!!! Can't wait to get home to get to that screen again!

Cheers,

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:08:02 am »
Thanks again for all the kind words, we really try our best to make sure everyone has a great experience, and it's really rewarding to hear when folks do. :)  Happy hunting when you get home!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline rui_brochado

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 05:04:07 pm »
Well hello again!

That tip (well, you basically gave all the info ;)) really did the trick, and I reached the bonus level I was missing. And damn, that was a sadistic thing to do, I had a very troubled time achieving the gold medal!!! Mainly because of the "do not get hurt" requisite... man, we're supposed to kill about 50 grays :D Just kidding around, it gave me an even bigger sense of accomplishment.

Finally I found my way to the Shingen (sp?) Facility, on my 3rd playthrough. I've done a lot and explored a lot in this superb game, but I have a feeling I didn't get a few things... for instance... how do you kill the rock monsters on abandoned mines, just to make the encyclopedia entry? I mean, you only get bullets and pickaxes on the overworld, and neither of them annihilates those monsters, right? And secondly... and probably I'm most intrigued by this one... where's the door opened by the "beaker" combination paper???

EDIT: Sorry, I decided to edit this post, and add a few more questions. I just can't help it!!

3 - Mary (or it might've been Darrell, I'm not sure about this) mentions some kind of weapon in the cutscene that plays when you enter the 1st time on the secret overworld area behind the ankh door. Besides the lightning combination paper, those extra levels and a few new encyclopedia entries as a result of murdering new enemies, I didn't find anything else in that area. Was there anything else to be found? I noticed I miss an encyclopedia entry on weapons right below the rifle entry, is it related to this?

4 - I've never figured out a way to destroy those green poisoned mushrooms and create a new encyclopedia entry, could you please clarify if this is possible?

Ok, this is it for now, thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:14:14 pm by rui_brochado »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 05:10:44 pm »
It's been a while, but IIRC the rock monsters can't actually be killed.  I hadn't thought about that with the encyclopedia entry!

For the potion entrance, I can't recall if that is actually used.  Have you been to the Ganan Fields?  It sounds like you have found just about everything at this point.  There is more that we were planning to do if the game took off, but sadly it did not.  We also built in some things that actually were not used in the official adventure, because we wanted people to be able to make their own adventures with the level editor.

Offline rui_brochado

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:23:00 pm »
It's been a while, but IIRC the rock monsters can't actually be killed.  I hadn't thought about that with the encyclopedia entry!

For the potion entrance, I can't recall if that is actually used.  Have you been to the Ganan Fields?  It sounds like you have found just about everything at this point.  There is more that we were planning to do if the game took off, but sadly it did not.  We also built in some things that actually were not used in the official adventure, because we wanted people to be able to make their own adventures with the level editor.
Well that's okay then, this game is so great that I didn't want to miss out on any piece of content, as small as it could be! Well, I think I've played through all of the levels, but I didn't memorize the name of most of them... but to be honest, Ganan Fields doesn't sound familiar to me. Is that the overworld area behind the Ankh Door on the Snow hills, or is that the name of a super secret level?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:32:11 pm »
You got it -- that is indeed the one behind the ankh door in snow hill. :)

Thanks extremely much for all your kind words. Myself, Zack, and my wife poured huge amounts of time into the game, and it's always really rewarding when someone connects with it so highly. I started making this back in 2008, so some of the details are fuzzy to me by this point, even though we just did finally finish the game earlier this year!

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:57 pm »
Yeah, it's awesome to see someone so into this game. It's by far our lowest-seller, but I still take great pride in the work I put into it and how the show floor demo was received at places like PAX/GameCity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk