Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Yea, we need to put together a comprehensive (or at least long) list of sufficiently-distinct colors, as the current set has a lot of overlap.

Hue variance of 15 degrees.
I knew somebody here knew a lot more about color than I did.

I also suspected that person was a raptor.
Yea, we need to put together a comprehensive (or at least long) list of sufficiently-distinct colors, as the current set has a lot of overlap.

Hue variance of 15 degrees.
AI War Classic / My experience so far
« Last post by Ovalcircle1 on Today at 12:27:06 AM »
I bough this game along with all the dlc back on March 24th. I have played about 11 hours. Not a single one of them has been actually playing the game. I've been having too much fun using cheats and messing around with the different factions. One of my favorite things to do this:
Map type: Crosshatch
# of planets: 80
Ai 1: 1/Cowardly
AI 2: 6/Cowardly
Lazy AI
AIP: Default 1 every 30 min
DLC: all enabled
Minor factions:
Human Resistance Fighters: 10/10
Human Marauders: 10/10
Dyson sphere: 10/10
Dark Spire: 10/10
Zenith Devourer
Alt-Champ Nemesis
Nomad planets: No (Yes during next play-through)
Core Shield Generators: No (Yes for next play-through so the AI home-worlds don't get wiped by my cheats)
No fast drones (Might be yes for next play-through)
GAme options: All visibility, enable cheats as well as Show unexplored planets

Step 1: Get my home command center killed so I lose.
Step 2: Look on map for Dark Spire generators, then spawn Resistance and Marauders on all the planets with them. Dark Spire ends nap time.
Step 3: Find Dyson sphere, spawn ships to destroy the AI command station as well as any buildings that can hurt the Dyson Gatlings.
Step 4: Spawn another Dyson sphere on an adjacent planet because I can.
Step 5: Watch as the end happens before my eyes. If the Dark Spire start running out of ships for some reason, spawn Marauders to kill everything (I lost so AIP is meaningless).
Step 6: Eventually, everything will be cleared out of ships. Dyson Spheres have a set path in between the home-worlds, where they vigorously chase down any enemies they find. Unstoppable. AI still sends waves to random planets for some reason usually near the Dyson Sphere, so I speed up time until they spawn. Watch the Dyson Gatlings hunt down the spawned ships. Due to Cowardly AI type, they run away when they are outnumbered, so it's a game of who's faster. Special forces occasionally spawn, get rekt as per routine. Keep it like this until I get bored and spawn waves upon waves of Marauders to destroy a Home-world command station. For the second and final home-world, use the cheat to spawn the Fallen Spire military ships. AI writes its final will and testament. Win while having already lost. Time paradox, universe collapses. Reforms into rebooted AI War 2 universe. Do the same thing there, but with the Nanocaust instead of Dark Spire. MFW I created AI War 2 by mistake. 10/10 would troll AI again.

I feel like Maze and Grid maps play very differently so I kept them separate. You are welcome to do what you feel is right though, and it will be trivial to adapt my code to combine things in whatever way wish.
That's a good point; it's fine to leave it.

I feel like Special Forces and Dyson Sphere colours are too similar. You can tell the difference when they are next to eachother but it's not obvious the way you'd like it to be.
I feel like Maze and Grid maps play very differently so I kept them separate. You are welcome to do what you feel is right though, and it will be trivial to adapt my code to combine things in whatever way wish.

I feel like Special Forces and Dyson Sphere colours are too similar. You can tell the difference when they are next to eachother but it's not obvious the way you'd like it to be.
For your consideration, a consolidation of map types.
MazeA-MazeD is now Maze with subtypes
Grid/Lattice/Crosshatch is now Grid with subtypes
Microcosm is now a subtype of Cluster and I tweaked the descriptions a bit.
The choices are Type of Clusters: Large/Medium/Small/Microcosm
Thanks!

I may further combine Maze and G/L/C since they're all variations on Grid.
Ooooh!  Wow, that makes things easier on players. :)
For your consideration, a consolidation of map types.
MazeA-MazeD is now Maze with subtypes
Grid/Lattice/Crosshatch is now Grid with subtypes
Microcosm is now a subtype of Cluster and I tweaked the descriptions a bit.
The choices are Type of Clusters: Large/Medium/Small/Microcosm

Re: multiplayer. I'm happy to try to wrangle more machines to test on if you can tell me what additional debugging information you require. Or to try to reproduce the problem in other environments, etc etc, if given instructions.
MP is mainly a matter of me getting time to sit down, run some tests to find what's messing with it (is it trying to send too much over the network, is it bogging down the cpu processing the network messages, are we actually looking at desyncs, or is the timing logic just sitting around for a few extra frames instead of proceeding when it can, etc) and plug through it. There's not a lot you could do to diagnose that stuff since it's almost entirely in Core code.

And there's sorting out things like each player picking a starting planet, not stacking the Arks on top of each other if they pick the same planet (since we should probably allow that), and so on.

After that point, more specific testing would be good.

On a somewhat more philosophical note, I'm not a fan of things allowing failures to happen silently like
Code: [Select]
            if ( target == null ) // this really shouldn't happen, but in case the implementing code is broken                             
                return;
I entirely agree, that was a moment of my laziness that got copied over from Core to External with this release :)

That said, if you use the SpecialForces tracing (menu => system => debug => tracing => SpecialForces , and run tail -f ArcenDebugLog.txt or something like that) it would probably be evident where it was stopping. Having that branch add a trace message is probably sufficient.
I agree. Before you couldn't even tell whether the Special Forces was doing anything at all (and perhaps it wasn't). I think this release is a very useful step forward, both for Special Factions and for the lobby code.

Re: multiplayer. I'm happy to try to wrangle more machines to test on if you can tell me what additional debugging information you require. Or to try to reproduce the problem in other environments, etc etc, if given instructions.

On a somewhat more philosophical note, I'm not a fan of things allowing failures to happen silently like
Code: [Select]
            if ( target == null ) // this really shouldn't happen, but in case the implementing code is broken                             
                return;

Why not emit an actual error message to the log, so that if the code actually winds up broken then someone can open a bug against it? Or at least do something to register that there is an error for debugging purposes (spitting out errors every SimStep is probably not a great idea).  As written if the code is broken the Special Forces will just sit a round and not do anything, which is a much harder problem to diagnose.

Incidentally, I agree with the "I don't think this state can be hit" comment right now, but the concern is less for things breaking now and for someone (me? another modder?) who makes a dumb mistake modifying that function in the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10