Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Starward Rogue / Re: AI War themed mech...?
« Last post by tombik on Today at 12:34:50 PM »
Either Murdoch or Remnant seems like good names to me.

I've been running the implementation through my brain and one issue stands out -- currently, leveling up is optional. If wanted, the player can go through the entire game without leveling up. So, we'd need a way to be able to make leveling up immediately mandatory. Otherwise players would be able to just not press E to level up. Another thing that might be nice is to replace the XP bar for an AIP bar (I think that's what the mechanic is from AI War that we're imitating?)

One other issue, if all items are free then what are credits going to be used for? I guess just removing all credits from runs is the way to go for this, although there might be some engine issues with that. I don't think it's currently possible to stop credits spawning that are placed via the map editor.

I am not a fan of free items but, if that is what you would be implementing what about credits= negative XP in a minor way?
Do the upper and lower links have to be the same color? Also, could they possibly gain a button background like "New Topic" and "Reply"?
« Last post by Logorouge on Today at 11:15:23 AM »
One other issue, if all items are free then what are credits going to be used for? I guess just removing all credits from runs is the way to go for this, although there might be some engine issues with that. I don't think it's currently possible to stop credits spawning that are placed via the map editor.
Hm, good point. I was gonna say XP machines, but that's a bad thing for this one. Well, if the mech has a minion spawning secondary, it could run on money just like the Contrishooter. Kind of a AIWar themed Ram Launcher fueled with money.

But finding a way to force levelups is probably the biggest issue at this time. Sounds like obligatory engine work to me.
« Last post by Pepisolo on Today at 10:52:46 AM »
Either Murdoch or Remnant seems like good names to me.

I've been running the implementation through my brain and one issue stands out -- currently, leveling up is optional. If wanted, the player can go through the entire game without leveling up. So, we'd need a way to be able to make leveling up immediately mandatory. Otherwise players would be able to just not press E to level up. Another thing that might be nice is to replace the XP bar for an AIP bar (I think that's what the mechanic is from AI War that we're imitating?)

AI War II - Gameplay Ideas / Re: How's the balance this time around?
« Last post by TheVampire100 on Yesterday at 08:51:09 PM »
I think at some point, probably towards the end of the release, when everything els eis in the game, we should make a big balance feedback thread. Since this is mostly about stats, that can be tweaked really fast which means it can be done close to release and does not have to be done right away.

I also have to say, I like the more streamlined ship balance more in this game. It's simpler, it's easier to catch up on it and the player don't has to read 10 different stats for each ship to understand which one is good against which ship. It also helps to make balancing easier (at least thats what i think) because less complexity means that you only have to tweak a few stats but can still have various strategic approaches and variation in the game.

AI War II - Gameplay Ideas / Re: How's the balance this time around?
« Last post by keith.lamothe on Yesterday at 01:00:27 PM »
It still needs a lot of tuning based on feedback, but:

A) Most actual ship stats are computed during application-init based on a balance formula that uses categories for stats. A short-range weapon gets 1x dps, a long range weapon gets 0.3x dps (or something like that). A normal-speed ship gets 1x dps, a slow-speed ship gets something higher. A ship with the "MildTank" durability class gets less dps and more hp, and a "MildGlassCannon" gets the other way around.

The difference between a fighter and a golem is the value in "strength" field. At root, that strength number is just a multiplier into the above formulas.

And that "strength" number is also the basic budget unit used by the AI when it pays for things, and it also underlies the resource costs the human players pay.

the hull system, armor system, immunities and damage types.

B) Immunities are gone in general, replaced in most cases with a less-binary approach. For example, a tractor's capacity is now measured in "strength of tractored units" rather than count, and if it doesn't have enough to stop something it will slow it down.

C) As for the hull system, armor system, and damage types, that's all been folded into a new system, which is best illustrated by the example:

1) Many objective units use the "Structure" defense type.
- "Structure" "costs" less in the balance formula than the other defenses, so it's the cheapest way to lots of hp.

2) Bombers use the weapon type "Fusion Bomb" which is good against structural.
- "good against" simply means "does 4 times as much damage as normal"; doesn't matter which weapon type or defense type, it either gets 1x or 4x.
- Fusion Bombs are always short-ranged, but Fusion Rockets (used by MLRS) are medium range, and the Railcannon (used by Sniper) are planet-wide range, and both are good against structure.

3) Bombers themselves use the "Armor" defense type.
- So other bombers don't get a bonus against them.
- Also, the only weapon types good against armor are short-ranged, so it's harder to murder bombers from a distance.

4) Fighters use the "Armor-piercing shell" weapon type, which is good against armor.

5) Fighters themselves use the "Evasion" defense type.
- So neither Bombers nor Fighters get a bonus against them.
- But both there are both medium and long ranged weapon types that are good against fighters, so they're easier to kill from range.
- On the other hand, no short-range weapons are good against evasion, so fighters will tend to out-dps other knife-fighters head to head.
- Also, evasion halves the effect of debuff damage like engine-damage, paralysis, zombification, etc.

6) Missile Corvettes use the "Guided Missile" weapon type, which is good against evasion.

6) Missile Corvettes use "Structure", so bombers are good against them.
- They're also in the "MildGlassCannon" durability class (to keep their dps up despite being long-ranged), so they're very easy to kill.
- Which is why you probably want them to be protected by a nearby Shield Starship.

7) Shield Starships use the "Shield" defense type, which is roughly equivalent to AIWC's forcefield mechanic.
- Shield starships are also in a special durability class that gives them practically no dps but a ton of hp.
- Shields also negate debuff damage (engine-kill, paralysis, etc)
- There are both long-ranged and short-ranged weapons that are good against shields, but the long-range ones only come on large ships and the short-range ones are mostly on semi-exotic fleet ships.
- If a unit's shields are completely down, the remaining hp acts like "Structure" defense type.

8) Siege Starships use the "Plasma Torpedo" weapon type, which is good against Shields
- It's also an aoe weapon, so it can clean up clouds of glass-cannon ships even if they're not shielded

9) Siege Starships are also Structure (and, iirc, full-glass-cannon), so again you'll want external protection for these, and losing one hurts a lot more than losing a missile corvette (which can be replaced in-the-field by the Ark or a Flagship).

To recap, you could think of it as "hull type", but now there are only four: Structure, Armor, Evasion, and Shield. Each of the four is distinguished in more ways than just damage.

D) All those durability classes, weapon types, defense types, and the dps multipiers for each category, etc, are defined in moddable xml. The goal is to balance vanilla, of course, but this makes it easier for players to contribute empirical data on potential changes.
AI War II - Gameplay Ideas / How's the balance this time around?
« Last post by Wingflier on Yesterday at 12:11:04 PM »
It's no secret that my biggest problem with the first game was the balance, especially regarding the hull system, armor system, immunities and damage types.

It led to a situation of disproportionate power levels not only between bonus ship types (which could lead to huge variations in difficulty level depending on what the AI used), but to problems with the core game fleet and starships as well.

Prior to the Kickstarter there was a lot of talk about a different approach in AI War 2 but I haven't heard much about it.

What do you guys know?
Off Topic / Re: Thoughts on games I played
« Last post by TheVampire100 on Yesterday at 09:23:52 AM »
The year is still young but we got already some really good releases. One of my personal favourites is the release of Treasure Adventure World. This game is a remake of Treasure Adventure World. The game was completely remade with handdrawn sprites, awesome new music and improved gameplay. At its core it is the same game but to mix things up they changed the location of islands and also changed some gameplay on the islands themselves. Old players will find enough new stuff to get entertained again.
They also changed a little bit the story up but the game was always more about the gameplay.

Treasure Adventure World is a Metroidvania game down to the bone. You feel it in its very essence. The main goal is to find 12 legendary treasures and assemble them in an ancient temple to fullfill your wish. The player travels between different islands with his boat that he can shrink down and carry in his pocket. This means, whenever he touches the water, the boat will get automatically out and he can sail, as soon as he leaves the ocean the boat will shrink down again and he can walk freely on land. This works so fluidly, you are never bothered by this (except one very bad case where you have to jump on a barrel and the game bugs out because it does not notice if you sit now on the barrel or on the water and in most cases the boat comes out and shives the barrel away).
In order to find treasures, the player gets so calles "Navpearls", these pearls show the location of treasures. You get these pearls from NPCs or by finding them yourself. The start is rather straightforward, get this item, sail to this island, get treasure, get next navpearl and so on. During the first 1-3 treasures you also get your basic equipment that helps you to progress further into the game. You find a shovel to dig out chests and hidden rooms, you get an upgrade that allows you to throw your hook, so you can hit levers from afar. With these abilities you can finally move freely between all islands and explore the entire world. It is up to the player in which order he wants to find the treasures but some treasures require access to new gear and abilities which he might have to find first.

The hook is yor first major equipment, it acts as weapon and as climping tool, it also activates levers for you later upgrades improve its capabilities. Not only the character can be improved, the boat can so too and this is also needed to progress further into the game. Not every equipment is needed to finish the game, soem are simply "upgrades" to older items. Some open up new optional paths that reward the player (with extra health upgrades for example) but are not necessary, they can ease up the final fight though.
The player can also wear various hats, some add stats to the player but some have also useful unique abilites. Hats are purely optional except one case which is required to gather 3 of the legendary treasures.

The game offfers much to explore. The various islands have different themes, you get a dester island, a jungle island, a volcano, a giant tree and many more. Each island is unique, provides unique challenges and new elements to learn, they also offer many secrets the player can find out. Most secrets are obvious but some are well hidden. For players who have problems with finding secret rooms and similiar stuff, the game also gives the player at some point  aspecial "radar" tht tracks down secrets if the player is close enough. This helps in locating every single piece in the game.
There are also collectibles that don't offer anything to the player but if you gather them all, specific NPCs will give you a reward for your full collection.

The game has however some major flaws. First, the game has problems on Windows 10. If you run this system, expect some bugs. Appearantely the game was not optimized for this OS and because of this players hae to fear that the game might crash or does not even start (happened to me). You have to run a special "game mode" that Win10 offers that I never used before and never needed before...
Even in this mode the game might not run 100% perfectely fine, there will occur problems, some minor, some major. The game crashed twice for me in the mid of the game. Luckily the game has an autosave funtion that saves in each new room and area you enter which means you won't loose much just because you "forgot to save".
There are also some gameplay issues at soem point. The game uses the B button (on controlers, don't know the keyboard version of it) for too many things. While this simplifies the controls and makes it easier to play in general, there are some situations where it can annoy you. For example, picking somethign to eat up while standing next to a NPC or a door will make you sue the door/NPC. The button for eating and using objects is the same and while it may sound like a minor annoyence, this happened to me so many times in the game, that I simpyl stepped through a door while I just wanted to eat a strawberry. Same with characters, I want to use an object but the game decides that the character, that stands besides me, is more important right now. It adds up after it happens so many times to you.

Still, the game is a masterpiece in the Metroidvania Genre and I liked it more than Owlboy which costs twice the money and offered me less value/playtime. I liked Owlboy but I kinda felt that the Metroidvania aspect of the game was too short and the game, even if you collected everything, was too straihtforward with no additional paths and too little secrets to be found.
Both games have however the same game time length, Owlboy migth however be slightly shorter.
It took me 15 hours to complete Owlboy and around the same time for Treasure Adventure World. If you collect everything, you might extend this to 20 depending on how fast you find the stuff.
Treasure Adventure World is (liek the name suggests) more about exploration and finding treasures which translates really well into the gameplay.
What color do you guys want to see those links changed to? Currently, the yellow is nearly impossible to see, so I would like to change that to something more visible, but wanted people's opinion on what would look nicest.
« Last post by keith.lamothe on February 23, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »
Murdoch Mech
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10