Author Topic: Sticky rallying  (Read 3591 times)

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Sticky rallying
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:36:44 pm »
I did an experiment where I had a starship constructor on planet A rallying ships to my Ark. The Ark was on planet B. The Ark was moving to planet C, but still on planet B. The ships rallying to the Ark would get to the Ark, then not inherit the Ark's move command and just sit on planet B once they got to the Ark and stopped rallying.

I would like to propose the following. If the target of a rally is moving, and it is moving to another planet, anything rallying to that target should inherit the move commands of the target upon reaching the target.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Sticky rallying
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:51:27 am »
How about we do this:

Rallying ships do not drop rally mode when they reach their lead ship. Instead, they drop rally mode when given an order by the player.

?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:15:33 am »
Sounds like it might work.

I spent a minute trying to come up with some hypotheticals where it wouldn't work, then I realized that it sounds like a really change to make. So lets just try it, then we can give feedback as to how well it works in practice.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:27:30 am »
Sounds like it might work.

I spent a minute trying to come up with some hypotheticals where it wouldn't work, then I realized that it sounds like a really change to make. So lets just try it, then we can give feedback as to how well it works in practice.
On reflection I realized that it would probably be a more commonly-desirable thing to do what you suggested: when dropping rally mode, copy the lead ship's current orders to the ship that's dropping the rally mode. If the player wants the ships to continue copying the lead ship's orders after that point (which is similar to rallying) then they can select the group and give it orders that way.

That said, we can try the other one after that if it sounds interesting, or "sticky rally" (just stay in rally mode unless given another order) could be a control-group toggle. I'm guessing it's a more specialized behavior than the other.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk