Author Topic: Is there a way to do Multiplayer?  (Read 7272 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Is there a way to do Multiplayer?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 10:03:27 am »
Couldn't that be a feature?  An observer slot maybe?
I'll retain the capability, sure :) Though it probably won't be available in the interface for now.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:55 am »
Couldn't that be a feature?  An observer slot maybe?
I'll retain the capability, sure :) Though it probably won't be available in the interface for now.

I figure it would be nice and/or useful :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 10:10:12 am »
Yea, we had the helper role in AIWC for this reason, as well as for the "just an observer, but other players can share control with them" purpose, which actually worked here in an earlier version except for the fact that control was automatically shared without the option to turn it off :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lakshata

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 03:13:33 pm »
Any timeline on having a multiple player start? Multiplayer is basically the only way I played AIWC :p.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 05:29:01 pm »
Any timeline on having a multiple player start? Multiplayer is basically the only way I played AIWC :p.
I hope to deal with it tomorrow.

Offline treyra

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 06:22:40 pm »
I'm hoping to try out the multiplayer with my brother over the weekend. We'll use Hamachi and report if that is working.

Offline treyra

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 02:59:52 am »
And no multiplayer test. But hopefully we can try out he multiplayer start next weekend.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 07:54:03 am »
Yea, sorry, I didn't know Chris wasn't planning to push 0.105 until Monday. But the MP fixes are in it :) I was able to play a 2-player game for a bit, anyway.

Offline treyra

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 01:31:16 am »
So I tested multiplayer with my brother (he was remote) and unfortunately it failed. We tried both with and without Hamachi (using the Hamachi IP address that worked in classic as well as our generic IP address a search engine returns). We both tried being the host and connecting to each other and while the frame rate dropped while attempting a connection, that was all we noticed. My game kept crashing during the process, which I'm not sure if that is the result of a failed connection or the build and my machine are not agreeing with each other (.109 has been the most unstable build for me so far).

I'll make a note on mantis too.

Offline Lakshata

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:12 pm »
I'll try and test it when I get home with a friend. We did direct connect without hamachi or anything. It worked like 6 builds ago, I don't see any reason it would break in future builds unless something changed.

It probably comes down to routing and port forwarding issues though.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 04:09:37 pm »
I can confirm that in patch .113, multiplayer worked on over LAN. I have not tried doing anything with port forwarding.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:12 pm »
I can confirm that in patch .113, multiplayer worked on over LAN. I have not tried doing anything with port forwarding.
It did work? Great :) I have some mp issues still on my list to investigate (tied up in some UI stuff right now), but glad to hear it's not totally busted.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 04:24:21 pm »
There are a few problems (only the host player can capture planets, for example) that I opened on Mantis. There's also a several second lag, even for machines sitting in the same room. But it's at least working "enough" that I can test things.

Offline treyra

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 02:03:47 am »
What are people's experiences with multiplayer right now? I've been away from the game for a month or so and not really following with updates but it looks like there haven't been any multiplayer changes for a while. I still haven't been getting hamachi multiplayer to work (using the hamachi IP which worked in classic). Anyone else having luck? I can try just straight port forwarding too.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:19 am »
Multiplayer via the same LAN seems to work; keith fixed an obnoxious bug where the sidebars were all messed up recently. There are a few known bugs (in Mantis); things like "Regardless of which player captures the planet, it winds up owned by the host player", but nothing that would make it unplayable.

I have not tried having a game across the broader internet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk