Author Topic: Impressions and performance  (Read 5297 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Impressions and performance
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 06:12:58 pm »
do we have a Bug report Lab open for this game yet or are we just sharing and caring here for now?
We have a mantis that eats bugs.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 06:14:09 pm »
I've seen some generated maps where there were two planets whose links to the starting planet overlapped exactly, leading to two wormholes at the exact same position. It's not supposed to place planets like that, but the game's rendering handled it "correctly".

That's where I was heading with that question.  Was it mapgen or visual. 

I'm sure one of you guys will get round to hashing that out soon enough, not a big priority but interesting.

do we have a Bug report Lab open for this game yet or are we just sharing and caring here for now?

Mantis link up beside Home.  You'll need to create an account there to create reports :)

we just sharing and caring here for now?

Ninjas, ninjas everywhere!
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Otagan

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 08:18:39 pm »
GTX 1080 on Windows 10, no notable performance issues.  Probably not a super useful data point, but there you have it.   :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 08:21:41 pm »
GTX 1080 on Windows 10, no notable performance issues.  Probably not a super useful data point, but there you have it.   :)
It's still useful, because the more data points, the less we wonder if there's some edge case out there where otherwise good hardware somehow fails hard on it due to APD*.

( * - Acute Pony Deficiency)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 10:12:41 pm »
So far my largest pain points are

A. it's really hard to find the wormholes and figure out which planets they go to without zooming in. Also on that note, I'm not a huge fan of the current wormhole graphic; it just looks like a green circle. I actually kinda prefer the one from AI War Classic.

B. You can't actually see that there's a battle or any sort of weaponry or explosions at all when zoomed out maximally. I typically play zoomed out all the way, and right now it just looks like a mass of confusing glowy icons.

C. The GUI buttons sometimes will be greyed out for seconds at a time when switching between menus.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 10:41:13 pm »
I actually haven't figured out how to get through the wormholes!

But I am absolutely loving the combat. Holy heck is that awesome.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 10:45:05 pm »

???

But I am absolutely loving the combat. Holy heck is that awesome.

:D
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline treyra

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 12:38:01 am »

I think you have to use the galaxy map for now, right click on the planet to go to.

As for my first impressions, first off no one has mentioned the music! Its awesome as always!

Second, minor GUI bug, when I resized to fit my screen (16:9) the menu covered up the Science and AI progress info, and the resources were all displayed across the mid screen. Relaunching fixed the problem though, so perhaps nothing to worry about?

I agree with above on the icons melding together on large scales. The glow is a bit too much for me to look at.

Finally, good performance, roughly 100 FPS in the first system, though when I popped ships into a MKIV system it slowed to ~35FPS.

Windows 10
GTX 960m (Laptop)
i7 quad core

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 01:08:29 am »
I think holding ctl and using rt click lets you send units through a wormhole. Or some combination of ctl and clicking.

Offline bladeravinger

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 02:37:56 am »
I think holding ctl and using rt click lets you send units through a wormhole. Or some combination of ctl and clicking.

CTRL+Right Click

Just as in Classic

orders your ships to penetrate.

Just as CTRL+Left Click allows you to follow through.....

(((((Sorry about the way i worded that, i had fun with it, it's too early in the night to not have fun with word, 7am, I'm going bed)))))
When things go right, Dont call me.
When things go wrong, Dont call me.
When things go sideways, I'm your man, i probably caused it anyway.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 07:41:33 am »
It's still useful, because the more data points, the less we wonder if there's some edge case out there where otherwise good hardware somehow fails hard on it due to APD*.

( * - Acute Pony Deficiency)
That's a ridiculously "Arcen" reference.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 05:32:14 pm »
CTRL+Right Click
Just as in Classic

orders your ships to penetrate.

Just as CTRL+Left Click allows you to follow through.....
(((((Sorry about the way i worded that, i had fun with it, it's too early in the night to not have fun with word, 7am, I'm going bed)))))
Heh.  Or, if you have trouble clicking on the little glow-y green wormhole balls, you can flip to the galaxy map and right-click on target world directly.

Performance wise, I haven't seen much, except I think the realtime-gametime got out of sync when I started using the speed-up buttons.  Even right now, when it should be 1:1, it's actually ticking at closer to 1:1.75 or so.
On the other hand, I left the game on, on +10/+10 when I went to work, and now, at game hour 220 or so, with 550,000 threat floating around, the game is still only using 1.7 GB of memory, and running very smoothly.

By the way, I don't know what "Update_FromEndToBeginningOfNext" is, but "Worst: 76684722" seems off to me... either the measure bugged on me, or something seems to have gone *really* wrong.
Curiously enough, it reset itself to "Worst: 86.56" not long after.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk