Author Topic: I can't find the music  (Read 6542 times)

Offline jerith

I can't find the music
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:38 am »
The very first thing I do after installing any new Arcen game is rummage around in the filesystem for the latest batch of Pablo Vega musical awesomeness. The third or fourth thing I do after installing the game is usually adding the musical awesomeness to my "tracks to write code to" playlist. (I play the game in between.)

This time I couldn't find any music, but I could definitely hear it. Is it buried in some Unity asset bundles or something?

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: I can't find the music
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:34:56 am »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:53:19 am »
Yep, sorry about that. :/
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline jerith

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:30:09 am »
Yeah, it's in an asset bundle.

Thanks. I haven't been following the blog or kickstarter updates, so I wouldn't have seen that otherwise.

I found the right asset bundle, and according to the manifest all but one of the tracks are from SBR. I guess it's just the main theme I need. :-)

Chris, would you object if I found (or wrote, although I suspect that would be more effort than I have time for) an extractor and liberated the music?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:12 am »
No worries whatsoever.  There are extractors for that sort of thing already, I think -- ones aimed at 7 Days To Die, for instance, I believe.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline jerith

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 12:34:30 pm »
There are extractors for that sort of thing already, I think -- ones aimed at 7 Days To Die, for instance, I believe.

I found a few others which were broken in various ways, but eventually I managed to work my way around UABE's... less than intuitive UI and get, of all things, a .wav file out. I guess I'll have to turn that back into an mp3. :-)

Thanks!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:33:22 pm »
Glad that works!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 02:21:02 pm »
Uh, if you buy the soudntrack, you still will get a file location with the mp3 sounds, right?

Offline jerith

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 03:03:28 pm »
Uh, if you buy the soudntrack, you still will get a file location with the mp3 sounds, right?

I would be very surprised if you fork out cash for the soundtrack and Chris sends you a vague reference to a Unity asset extraction tool instead of a download link to a pile of mp3s and flacs...

But who knows, this is the videogame industry. Maybe that's the Brave New Business Model that the big publishers are all moving to.  8)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 04:10:05 pm »
Actually, we're encrypting it and then putting the decryption keys in geocaches in distant countries.  Only then will you unlock the secrets of the official soundtrack... ;)

Yes, those folks who get the soundtrack will get the FLAC and mp3 and wav files directly and simply, of course.  Always good to check, though, these days!

Offline Zogheen

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 04:13:42 pm »
Actually, we're encrypting it and then putting the decryption keys in geocaches in distant countries.  Only then will you unlock the secrets of the official soundtrack... ;)
Could we vote on this? I'm certainly in favor  :D
Plus, it never hurts to keep your options open.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 04:16:45 pm »
Could we vote on this? I'm certainly in favor  :D
Plus, it never hurts to keep your options open.

The fact that you have a picture of a Burlust under your name (thank you, by the way) only makes this funnier to me.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 04:22:55 pm »
What if you had to defeat  a game with the Nemesis on hard mode to unlock the music?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 04:24:59 pm »
What if you had to defeat  a game with the Nemesis on hard mode to unlock the music?

Now you're just being mean.

Offline Zogheen

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 06:32:05 pm »

Now you're just being mean.
Or, make the geocaches inside the game, and you have to find a series of lore references on worlds that eventually lead to the reveal of how to get them!