Author Topic: Helping out with External Code  (Read 79 times)

Offline BadgerBadger

• BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Helping out with External Code
« on: March 18, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »
Hey Keith/Chris,
     I'm feeling bored today and I'm wondering if there are any small coding pieces that can exist purely in the Externally Moddable code that people in the community could write for you guys, on a purely volunteer basis.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Administrator
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Helping out with External Code
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
The main things that come to mind for helping with development itself are UI stuff (refinement of the existing, replacement of the existing, new bits entirely) and balance analysis/changes. Both of those are pretty much wide open in the external code. But neither of those is to the point where you wouldn't be subject to it all going poof fairly soon anyway.

The AI will also be exposed more in external code later, but not much of it is there yet.

There's also turret patterns, but that's largely based on balance and UI considerations.

So if you're bored I'd suggest adding a new map type based on some pattern or algorithm you find interesting. You could start with changing an existing one, and then move to creating a new one from scratch (probably by copying one and replacing the innards).

Thanks for your interest :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: Helping out with External Code
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 04:53:08 PM »
I will look into the map generation code as I get the chance.

Also, on another vein of helpfulness, if you have "interesting scenarios" that need to get checked out, feel free to request people to try things in particular. If we can get people in the forums to test things then there's no need for you to do it in person, given that your time is more valuable