Author Topic: Camera interaction  (Read 3471 times)

Offline daktaklakpak

• Newbie Mark II
Camera interaction
« on: February 27, 2017, 04:19:26 pm »
Sharing some insight from playing with the in-game camera:

As mentioned in the wiki, WASD will pan the camera.  I also found that holding down the middle mouse button will let you drag-move the camera.  You can accelerate the movement speed by holding down left shift.

Zoom is with mouse wheel or page up/down.  You can also slightly accelerate the zoom speed by holding down left shift.

I am finding the zoom speed to be kind of slow, even when accelerated.  My carpal tunnel would like to request some additional options (other modifiers for faster zoom, maybe some hot keys for full zoom in/out)  :)

Last thread start by me for the day - please forgive my excessiveness.  Congratulations to the team for getting the alpha out and working as well as it does!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Camera interaction
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:26:22 pm »
No worries, and thanks!  You can also use Q and E to rotate the camera.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline YoukaiCountry

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:23:30 pm »
Thanks for the info. Agreed on the zoom speed, feels far too slow.

Offline Lakshata

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:46 pm »
I think my gripe is the responsiveness on the DEceleration seems to take too long, I stop pressing the key and it moves way past where I intended to look.

I was zoomed way in because I wanted to see how ship models looked so far :p

Offline daktaklakpak

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:53:44 pm »
Version 0.102 - zooming feels MUCH better now! 

Panning still feels a bit off though...  Is there a way to make zoom focus on the cursor rather than center screen?  Zoom out, mouse over what I want, zoom back in on it would be a sweet nice-to-have.

Also noticed a weird behavior:  When you let go of a scrolling key, the scroll speed decelerates to a stop, which is neat.  However, if you hit shift quickly after letting go of the key, it kind of "hiccups" into fast-scroll deceleration.  Suggest maybe making the shift button with no scrolling input held down do an instant stop instead?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:05:04 pm by daktaklakpak »

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:03:54 pm »
Yeah, I echo a desire to have the screen zoom in on my mouse placement; otherwise it's very cumbersome.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:36:59 am »
https://bugtracker.arcengames.com/view.php?id=18978

For bug reports, please do use mantis!  I can't keep track of them otherwise, it's super overwhemling.  Thanks!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline daktaklakpak

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 02:15:49 pm »
I wasn't sure any of those rose to the issue of "bug"!

Would you prefer us to err on the side of "write a bug, even if you aren't sure it's a bug.  The devs can toss it"?

I work in a culture where management doesn't like us to put much in the tracking system, because the customer has visibility into it and it "makes us look bad if we have too many bugs being opened".  Which, come to think of it, does kind of drive me crazy :P

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 02:20:50 pm »
The question of how aggressive we should be to write things up in mantis is a good one.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 04:42:44 pm »
We'd rather close reports than miss things.  We'll never be angry at someone about having to close a report.  In general we're pretty chill, anyway.

For something that needs discussion first, it's generally best to start in the forums and discuss it, then later bubble it up to a feature request or bug report, rather than trying to have the discussion in mantis.  But that's my main suggestion there.

The bugtracker isn't just for bugs -- features and whatnot are also fine to request there.

Offline jerith

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 10:44:43 am »
We'd rather close reports than miss things.  We'll never be angry at someone about having to close a report.  In general we're pretty chill, anyway.

But please do check for duplicates first -- I usually do a couple of searches with whatever words seem relevant to the bug/idea. Even if an issue already exists, it's often helpful to add information to it or even just mention that it affects you as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk