Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 52035 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2016, 03:19:42 pm »
That picture (probably quite intentionally) hides the soldier's status bar. There are various negative status effects which lower an ally or enemy unit's chance to hit, such as disoriented, poisoned, etc.

In a normal situation, at that range, and having flanked the enemy, the hit chance would be 85% or higher.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2016, 03:25:13 pm »
I don't have the game, but this came through a group chat this morning, thought I'd share

Only a 65% chance to hit?

This was one of my big problems with the original and honestly most of the reason why I eventually lost interest; the hit percentages usually just didn't make any sense.  It ends up being "fake difficulty" more than anything else, not to mention REALLY unintuitive.  It almost makes the game just feel like there was alot of laziness involved in making it.  ....or too much obsession on graphics, not enough on making things work.

I'd almost forgotten about that problem actually.  Hm.  Gonna rethink the possible purchase on this one as it's likely STUFFED with that issue.  Hard to say.  Maybe time to watch some playthrough vids before buying.

That picture (probably quite intentionally) hides the soldier's status bar. There are various negative status effects which lower an ally or enemy unit's chance to hit, such as disoriented, poisoned, etc.

In a normal situation, at that range, and having flanked the enemy, the hit chance would be 85% or higher.

It still doesnt make any sense though.  The gun is right up the thing's nose;  the only way to miss, logically, would be if the bullets blinked out of existence just before leaving the gun.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2016, 03:32:53 pm »
It's a turn based tactical game, so lots of things are an abstraction. It's not like the alien would just stand there starting down the barrel of the gun waiting for the dude to line up his shot.

And with such a low percentage shot, it's extremely likely the soldier has a debuff that harms his aim percent.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2016, 04:00:21 pm »
Also he should've brought a sword with him :P

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2016, 04:09:48 pm »
Never bring a gun to a sword fight.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »

Oh, I'm sure it was tweaked somehow. I was just amused by it (and it came through without any original context). Even 85% would look wrong at that distance, though.  :p

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2016, 04:56:34 pm »

Oh, I'm sure it was tweaked somehow. I was just amused by it (and it came through without any original context). Even 85% would look wrong at that distance, though.  :p
to be fair realistically speaking that would be a very awkward range to be using an assault rifle in fact if xcom had realistic weapon recoil the hit chance there would be really low probably.
c.r

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2016, 05:29:41 pm »
Take into account that the screen in question is simply the tactical view, where as Mick stated, all angles and ranges are simply an abstraction for the likelihood of actually making or missing a shot. When the player actually decides to attack, it switches to a little cinematic cutscene, where the soldier actually raises the weapon from a lowered position, and at that point the alien enemy isn't just standing there with a gun in his face as there is an attempt to dodge.

Keep in mind that assault rifles can still miss at close ranges, and as rooster stated, a range too close can actually make hitting the target more difficult. This is one of the reasons the M-16, which had been the mainstay rifle of the U.S. military since Vietnam was swapped out en masse for the shorter barreled M4 during Desert Storm and other operations in the middle east. The M-16, though more accurate at long ranges, was unwieldy for close combat and room clearing. Shotguns obviously are even better for this, and when used at close distances in XCOM2, the hit chance approaches 100% (if not actually 100%).
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2016, 06:17:49 pm »
At point blank range I have most of the time 100% hit chance (with shotguns however).
I know that a lot of people have a problem with the hit chance in the XCOM series but seriously, it is a strategy game with a strong RNG system and this is widely known. I bet most this people wouldn't hit a trash can with a ball of paper if the can would be right in front of them.
I'm also not a fan of 100% secure systems, I always need a small chance that something may go bad just for the thrill of surprise. This may go both ways, I had aliens that stood right behind my soldiers (flanked) and couldn't hit them.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2016, 06:43:34 pm »
Oh sure, I'm not a fan of 100% success either.
The stealth game I'm working on right now uses a cumulative gaussian distribution for its probability curve. Even with a +3 net bonus over the enemies, that's only ~97%

(For reference, +3 is the base bonus given for sneaking about, so the ai won't recognize you as an intruder if you do end up in their line of sight briefly. Checks are made every couple of seconds, so being "evenly matched" has a high bias towards the player. As soon as you are doing something suspicious though, there's a bonus on the other side).

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2016, 07:14:42 pm »
After some video watching, that concealment mechanic looks muuuuuuch better than the "slowverwatch" from the first game.  Though the timer thing looks a tad obnoxious.  But not having to stop and wait every 2 steps looks pretty good.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2016, 07:21:53 pm »
Timer is easily modded up/down/around/away.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 07:46:58 pm »
Oh sure, I'm not a fan of 100% success either.
The stealth game I'm working on right now uses a cumulative gaussian distribution for its probability curve. Even with a +3 net bonus over the enemies, that's only ~97%

(For reference, +3 is the base bonus given for sneaking about, so the ai won't recognize you as an intruder if you do end up in their line of sight briefly. Checks are made every couple of seconds, so being "evenly matched" has a high bias towards the player. As soon as you are doing something suspicious though, there's a bonus on the other side).
your making a stealth game? I'm actually kind of interested in that.
c.r

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2016, 08:17:21 pm »
Mm. Bare beginnings still. Lot of Shadowrun and DeuxEx influence.

Mobile currently, but I could dig up some screen shots later.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2016, 10:07:29 am »
Holy cow, this game is so brutally difficult and I love it.

On the 4th mission of Normal difficulty (Ironman), it puts me up against *THIS*.

Only by incredible luck and some clever strategy was I able to make it out of that one without losing anybody, but holy god.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk