Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 51994 times)

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 04:49:46 pm »
I'll wait until no more add-ons are released and it pops up at a good discount or in a bundle.
If that means waiting for XCOM 3, so be it. I'm not going to pay big money for something that launches with DLC.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 02:55:55 am »
Finall installed and played. God, this was aweful!
not the game, the waiting time.
I'm not very far into the game but currently I like it.
I like that the game makes a lot references to the first game however, this is a double-edged sword. people who didn't play the first one won't get all the references and nods but old players will like how the first game is integrated into the second.
Also, I have a theory but this might not be true (again, I'm not deep into the game.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The ending of the first war was probably part of the simulations that you experienced while being captured from the aliens. The war happened but the end, where you won, never did. You were captured before and the aliens just suggested you that you've won in order to keep you under control.
Maybe the whole game was the simulation? That you play the game over and over again, winning (and failing) were part of it, you had to repeat the war simulation so the aliens can leech your war tactics.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 02:13:03 pm »
I've decided to have a go at the original xcom (since it'll actually work on my laptop) would it be worth xenonauts(the spiritual successor)  instead/as well as the original?.
c.r

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 02:22:30 pm »
Oh lord, please do not attempt to play the original. It was legendary but now is very dated.

Xenonauts is a wonderful spiritual successor, and one of my top 5 games of all time. It's also on sale and was never very expensive to begin with. If you're at all a fan of the series, you'll love it.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 04:24:19 pm »
If you really want to play the original though, at least go with OpenXcom instead. Its at least more likely to work without a lot of effort involved in fixing it through xcomutils.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 04:41:10 pm »
Oh lord, please do not attempt to play the original. It was legendary but now is very dated.

Xenonauts is a wonderful spiritual successor, and one of my top 5 games of all time. It's also on sale and was never very expensive to begin with. If you're at all a fan of the series, you'll love it.
I haven't played any of the xcoms before that sounds like a good place to start though thanks.
c.r

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 06:37:44 pm »
Good lord, I tried the first mission (after the tutorial mission, which is completely scripted and removes player choice) on normal (veteran) difficulty, and got absolutely stomped.

This is coming from a person with probably around 100 hours spread across games in the XCOM franchise (though to be fair I've never actually beaten any of them).

In XCOM 2, they just do not pull any punches. You're already getting mind controlled in the first mission, and oh by the way did we mention zombies?

I absolutely love how brutal they've made it. I may have to swallow my pride and play it on "easy" for the first playthrough. Beginner in XCOM is like "Impossible" difficulty in most other games.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 06:50:14 pm »
Good lord, I tried the first mission (after the tutorial mission, which is completely scripted and removes player choice) on normal (veteran) difficulty, and got absolutely stomped.

This is coming from a person with probably around 100 hours spread across games in the XCOM franchise (though to be fair I've never actually beaten any of them).

In XCOM 2, they just do not pull any punches. You're already getting mind controlled in the first mission, and oh by the way did we mention zombies?

I absolutely love how brutal they've made it. I may have to swallow my pride and play it on "easy" for the first playthrough. Beginner in XCOM is like "Impossible" difficulty in most other games.
Which one do you mean? The one wit the energy thing? Or the one where you find the ADVENT stun soldiers (I think it was the one where you have to protect some transmitter or something like that)?

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 06:55:50 pm »

Just wait, once you have gotten the tactics down on what they throw at you, they will have brand new bullshit around the corner.

Yeah, that first mission is tough since you don't have a lot of tools at that point. Ironically it seems easier if you don't do the tutorial.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 08:12:04 pm »
I've decided to have a go at the original xcom (since it'll actually work on my laptop) would it be worth xenonauts(the spiritual successor)  instead/as well as the original?.
I definitely recommend Xenonauts instead. The original is absolutely a great game, but it has not aged well. The interface is super clunky, there's pitfalls in research and it's overall extremely clunky to play.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 08:44:24 pm »
Yeah, the original game isn't very intuitive to use. It is a really good game but the controls are aweful and some gameplay features aren't nice to use (like collecting every single item per hand in missions otherwise it's lost).
Xenonauts did at least a good job in discarding the most annoying parts of the game while still maintaining the core gameplay.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 09:00:11 pm »
I probably won't get this game. I heard they implemented some time or turn limits on the missions. Part of the problem with the original was the insane random number generator for the chance to hit. Don't know that I want to do that now that the game is forcing limits.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 09:23:35 pm »
Yeah, there are turn limits but I don't feel forced in any way. There are already mods that deactivate the turn timer btw.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 11:00:17 pm »
 may I ask how that extreme that random number generator for this game is? I just did the first mission of xeno earlier and it didn't seem to obnoxious kind of at the level at which I'm willing to cope with really.
c.r

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 11:37:53 pm »
may I ask how that extreme that random number generator for this game is? I just did the first mission of xeno earlier and it didn't seem to obnoxious kind of at the level at which I'm willing to cope with really.

I don't really know what this question means. The RNG just works based on the percentage given. No different than rolling a 100 sided die and comparing it to a percent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk