Poll

What is your favorite game by Arcen Games?

AI War: Fleet Command
9 (42.9%)
The Last Federation
3 (14.3%)
Starward Rogue
4 (19%)
Tidalis
1 (4.8%)
Skyward Collapse
1 (4.8%)
Bionic Dues
1 (4.8%)
Valley Without Wind
1 (4.8%)
Valley Without Wind 2
1 (4.8%)
In Case Of Emergency, Release Raptor
0 (0%)
Shattered Haven
0 (0%)
AI War 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What is your favorite Arcen Games game?  (Read 4621 times)

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
What is your favorite Arcen Games game?
« on: October 27, 2016, 07:14:11 pm »
I just felt like making this poll so I put this here, the games are in no particular order. I decided to include Release Raptor because even though they had to abandon it, they still had a game and left it for people to download if they wish. An explanation of why you chose what you did would be appreciated, but not necessary. Lastly you don't need to have played them all to vote, just vote out of what you have played in that case. I myself have only played The Last Federation and AI War, please let me know if I missed a game. Also if this poll sees some activity I will probably add new games as they are released.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:30:57 pm by WolfWhiteFire »

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
Re: What is your favorite Arcen Games game?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:18:48 pm »
Personally I chose The Last Federation, for the reasons that though I have many hours in AI War and have beaten it a couple times, and I have only played the Last Federation about half the time of AI War, with TLF I never really have a boring moment where I am just waiting, I like the gameplay more, and there are 2 very different modes and then one slightly different mode. With many options on how to beat the game.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:31:13 pm by WolfWhiteFire »

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:20:05 pm »
for me it was tlf that game just freaking rocks so hard even though it can be a bit grindy at times engineering races into starting wars with each other among other things is such a great trip betrayal has always felt to easy.
 and I've never really played much of invasion mode (but I do think its as good as standard) it also helps that its got (in my opinion obviously) Pablo's best score in it.

also because its the game that got me introduced to this forum and in turn a lot of other games so I have it to thank for that.
I saw the news about stars around the time it was still a new exiting thing and it was the mention that tlf races were going to be in it which was got me excited enough to jump head first into testing it and it just went on from there really.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:24:09 pm by crazyroosterman »
c.r

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:21:32 pm »
Starward Rogue for me.

From the moment TLF changed its combat system, I was excited to see the game that would be born from the previous system. But despite all the hype I build up, SR still managed to far exceed my expectations. It successfully combined everything I liked about Binding of Isaac and bullethell games. I consider the result as nothing short of amazing. It's a shame the game didn't sell.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:16:52 pm »
I really don't know what to choose here.   

On one hand there's Starward.  But for obvious reasons I'm super biased towards that one... I'll not vote for that one for the same reasons that I cannot write up a review for it on Steam.

....but then I cant decide on the others, either.

I have a few choices here....

1.  Valley Without Wind #1.  This is the game that brought me here in the first place, and it's one of those games that has that intangible "special something" about it, to me.  It's really hard to explain but the whole feel of the game, every part of it, has always worked for me, and been something really special.  My problem with it though has always been some balance issues, and the fact that the world map mechanics were never entirely completed. 

2.  AI War.   It's freaking AI War.  I love strategy games, but it's sooooooooo rare that I find ones that can fully hold my attention.  They need to be A: procedural (because non-procedural strategy games tend to have no replay value outside of multiplayer, which I don't care about), and constantly CHALLENGING.  I expect great difficulty out of strategy titles.  And while big games like the Civ series may be high quality... they don't offer that very much.  The AI in so many strategy games is dumber than a stump, which is one reason why I vastly prefer asymmetrical design.  Right now, the one and only other strategy game that I think is on the same level as AI War in terms of awesomeness is Creeper World 3 (seriously, everyone needs to play that).  Particle Fleet and Infested Planet are also pretty close.  With AI War in particular though... I never know what to expect.  The game can have it's dull moments at times, but even during those it produces tension, since you just KNOW the AI is up to something, and you know that it'll very abruptly show you what that something is at some point.  And when it suddenly does that (which is always, ALWAYS at the worst possible freaking moment) you know you're going to get tons of exciting stuff happening.  Also the game has no dull "cleanup" phase to it since the AI gets stronger and more berserk as you progress.

3. Skyward Collapse.  There's seriously nothing else like this.  Nothing.  I've always really enjoyed this one... all of the game mechanics really mesh well for me, and having to constantly deal with an ever-changing situation while strategizing around loopy things that aren't under your control gets very interesting, particularly since even seemingly small moves by the player can have large effects.  The game makes me really think about each little move that I might make.  I love that.

4. Bionic Dues.   I *really* wish this had sold better, so that it could be expanded upon.  There's soooooo many good things going on with this one.  When it comes to turn-based roguelikes, this is probably my favorite.  I've ranted about this game a lot on these forums, so I wont do so here.

Starward Rogue for me.

From the moment TLF changed its combat system, I was excited to see the game that would be born from the previous system. But despite all the hype I build up, SR still managed to far exceed my expectations. It successfully combined everything I liked about Binding of Isaac and bullethell games. I consider the result as nothing short of amazing. It's a shame the game didn't sell.

As always the comments on this are appreciated.... glad you enjoy the game that much. 

By the way, we should have a playable build of the Perk Overhaul update available really darn soon here (as in, nearly ready to go).  The new perks and such and altered balance really fix up a lot of problems.   Also I made things more murderous.  Because of course I did.  Killing the player is my role here.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 10:18:12 pm »
I bought AI War in college and bounced off hard. Picked up TLF on a whim two and a half years ago and LOVED it, tracked down the developer and was shocked, shocked to find it was the AI War company (once I figured it out, that is).

Still think it needs work to reach AIW levels of engrossing, but it's still my favorite Arcen game.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 10:41:44 pm »
Definitely a tossup between Tidalis and AI War for me.  Tidalis doesn't get the love it deserves but it is brilliant and infinitely repeatable.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 12:05:04 am »
I voted for AI War, but that isn't to say I haven't enjoyed others.

I've beaten every level of Tidalas except one because the time limit on it is like 10 seconds.
I certainly do enjoy Starward Rogue.

I couldn't get into Bionic Dues, but I certainly respect it.
Skyward I think had issues keeping me engaged.  Otherwise neat idea.
Haven't played enough Release Raptor.
TLF just sort of drags after a while.
Never played AVWW or Shattered Haven.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 12:41:12 am »
I cannot decide between AI War and Starward Rogue. I think I like them both equally. Or let me say it in another way.
I think they are my favourites but for different reasons. AI War because it keeps my brain busy, i like to think my way around, I prefer games that challange me mentally, not my reflexes. That's why I avoid shooters mostly, they simply suck when it comes to thinking.

Starward rogue on the other hand... I don't even know why. It fits into a grenre that I really avoided as much as possible. As somoneone who really HATES Isaac, I didn't except it to be my kind of thing. It disappointed my exceptions and showed to be a very good game. Maybe it's the flashy graphics. Maybe it's the awesome techno soundtrack. Maybe it's the different mechs with their individual attributes. or maybe it's just the fact that game does not consist of shit, blood and more shit. seriously, what teh hell is wrong with the designer of Isaac?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 12:52:52 am »
Stars Beyond Reach!

What?
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 02:53:15 am »
I cannot decide between AI War and Starward Rogue. I think I like them both equally. Or let me say it in another way.
I think they are my favourites but for different reasons. AI War because it keeps my brain busy, i like to think my way around, I prefer games that challange me mentally, not my reflexes. That's why I avoid shooters mostly, they simply suck when it comes to thinking.

Starward rogue on the other hand... I don't even know why. It fits into a grenre that I really avoided as much as possible. As somoneone who really HATES Isaac, I didn't except it to be my kind of thing. It disappointed my exceptions and showed to be a very good game. Maybe it's the flashy graphics. Maybe it's the awesome techno soundtrack. Maybe it's the different mechs with their individual attributes. or maybe it's just the fact that game does not consist of shit, blood and more shit. seriously, what teh hell is wrong with the designer of Isaac?

Just out of curiosity:  Have you tried other games in the same genre as Isaac/Starward?  There's quite a lot of them now, most of them don't do giant poo monsters and whatever.   Only Isaac really does that.   It rather sounds like the biggest issue with Isaac was the themes and Edmund's general gross-out sort of artstyle.  Or were there other things you didn't like about Isaac?

As it is, many bits of Starward were very, very inspired by Isaac.  So the contrast here is interesting.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 04:30:08 am »
Stars Beyond Reach!

What?
XD but seriously what's your favourite (that's finished and probably not completely unrecognizable by now from what it was)
arcen game? since stars isn't an option.
c.r

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 09:57:18 am »
Extremely close between AI War and Starward Rogue for me. Completely different games but I enjoy both immensly.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 09:58:10 am »
Just out of curiosity:  Have you tried other games in the same genre as Isaac/Starward?  There's quite a lot of them now, most of them don't do giant poo monsters and whatever.   Only Isaac really does that.   It rather sounds like the biggest issue with Isaac was the themes and Edmund's general gross-out sort of artstyle.  Or were there other things you didn't like about Isaac?

As it is, many bits of Starward were very, very inspired by Isaac.  So the contrast here is interesting.
For me it's absolutely the theme and art style of Isaac that puts me off. Also the seemingly floaty controls.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 01:00:44 pm »
AI War was my first and remains my favorite. Despite the dated graphics and clunky UI, it has a charm to it that really appeals to me. Strategy games are also one of my favorite genres, so I naturally liked it a little more than some of the others. A lot of it's probably nostalgia, but it just seems like a really solid and unique game in which a win feels really deserved when I finally pull it off. The huge number of options is also a big plus.

AVWW 1 is a close second. I could say many of the same things I said about AI War here too - it's not particularly pretty, but it is charming. The exploration was something I loved and felt was lacking in the sequel, and I had a lot of great experiences with tough boss fights. Helped that for a long while I was just playing the demo which was capped at level 6, and fought my first lieutenant in a Level 12 area, so that made the fight really tough and rewarding when I beat it. Lost my first character to that tower - RIP Derrek Shrine.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk